Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Altering system (You have mail) message.

Default Altering system (You have mail) message.
    I'd like to know how I can change the system's message regarding incoming e-mail.
    I am in Japan with Softbank, and the system puts a two line message on the lock screen when I get an e-mail. The top message is in Japanese which I can't read, the bottom one is in English which reads : You have a mail.
    I'd like to completely remove the Japanese text and change the bottom one. I have a p.list editor but can't find the file that contains the system message. Could anyone help me out with this?

Another, lot more involved mod, is probably Apple's bonheadedness. When an e-mail arrives and the lock screen is on I have to dismiss the message, slide the open button, tap Mail, tap Inbox, and finally tap the new message. How anal is that? Instead there should be a "Read" or "Later" option on the lock screen and if I press "Read" it should take me right to the opened e-mail.
    Any ideas how complicated this would be?

Thanks.

I never get any messages of any kind regarding email on my lockscreen. You sure your iPhone's real??

I would prefer something more constructive.
    Thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone treble26's Avatar
    Thanks

have you tried deleting the japanese language support? or just try turning it off that language.

I am using English OS, everything is in English save for the mail message.

You must have installed something that gives you these messages. Intelliscreen? Kate? Status Notifier with that lockscreen theme? The other poster is right, there are normally no such messages in the lock screen.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Guys, I am in Japan the weirdness capital of the universe.
    The message was on the phone when I got it, brand spanking new from Softbank, a virgin device, un-touched, un-molested, un-jailbroken, un-unlocked!

I am trying to find the system file that puts the bloody message on the screen so I can modify it.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Last edited by sadsamurai; 2009-03-27 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadsamurai View Post
    The message was on the phone when I got it, brand spanking new from Softbank, a virgin device, un-touched, un-molested, un-jailbroken, un-unlocked!
    In my opinion this must mean that Softbank created a modified version of the firmware (perhaps they used Pwnage Tool) and loaded that onto the phone before they sold it to you. With the stock firmware, this message simply doesn't happen. And it could have been jailbroken without having Cydia on it, so you wouldn't easily have spotted the jailbreak.

I guess you have gone through a(nother) jailbreak procedure now? The strings could really be anywhere, but I'd look first at /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Japanese.lproj/SpringBoard.strings. It can be opened with a plist editor.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Screenshot please? (Home+Power)

I got an explanation from another forum, here it is:

"AFAIK, you can't mod that message because it's not stored in a plist somewhere. It's a FlashSMS sent by SoftBank every time a new message arrives in your inbox. In the UK it's possible to send your own FlashSMS messages because the the code to do so on O2's network is publicly available. I've tried to find out SoftBank's code, but haven't had any luck. There's a thread about it at MacForums, which is where I got the attached image from.

As for Apple's "boneheaded" approach to new message notifications (or lack thereof!) I agree with you completely. It may be of interest to you that Apple has patented a lock screen notification system which would likely take care of this problem, although I don't know if/when it will be implemented. Apple also has a new iPhone/iPod Touch Design team working on UI stuff (the current icons were all designed by the Mac OS X team, BTW) and the fact that we haven't seen anything new from that team leads me to believe that Apple has some UI stuff up their sleeve for 3.0's launch this summer, much like they're keeping "Marble" closely guarded prior to Snow Leopard's launch. Maybe the lock screen stuff is on its way! I hope so, anyway."

On my phone the text in white is in Japanese.
    I guess I just have to live with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -iphone-mail.jpg