Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ssh?

Default ssh?
    how do i do this?
    i have winscp and now im lost. any help appreciated. i looked through this site and cant find a tutorial anywhere

No problem. Welcome to MMi

thanks glad to be here, i have one other question, i cant find openssh and bsd on installer app, i did quickpwn jailbreak, how else can i get these 2 downloads?

Thanks

You can find openssh and cydia.

BSD subsystems was installed for you during jailbreak

thejarro, the Wiki article did not mention that after installing OpenSSH you should change the passwords for root and mobile on your phone. A bit irresponsible of the author(s), because without changing them you run the risk of being hacked.

That is not an imaginary risk. I read that someone tried to log into the entire range of IP addresses a certain provider gave to iPhones on its 3G network. People with SSH and the default passwords saw all their private data stolen.

I have corrected that in the article.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

And the only way to do this is by connecting via Wifi?

(Hi I'm new to the forums and everything apple with my recent iphone purchase but was big on modding my WM phones so willing to learn!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaidnoire View Post

(Hi I'm new to the forums and everything apple with my recent iphone purchase but was big on modding my WM phones so willing to learn!)
    No, you can connect to your iPhone through the WiFI connection and through the USB cable (and perhaps through its 3G internet connection).
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

Thanks

That's correct. SSH is via wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post

Thanks! unfortunate (it's easier for me to do this @ work than @ home where I have wifi access), but I'll manage. Everything I read kept pointing to wifi as the only option and I wanted to be sure....
    Can't keep my hands off my iPhone...

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    No, SSH can also work if you connect through USB. If you install iPhone Tunnel Suite, for example, you can SSH into your phone through the cable.

And if your phone has a public IP address through 3G, EDGE or GPRS (this depends on your phone company), that will also work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    No, SSH can also work if you connect through USB. If you install iPhone Tunnel Suite, for example, you can SSH into your phone through the cable.

And if your phone has a public IP address through 3G, EDGE or GPRS (this depends on your phone company), that will also work.

Oh,ok...thanks for the program name - iPhone Tunnel Suite. This is the very first mention I've seen. I will follow up. Is it ok for Windows users?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh,ok...thanks for the program name - iPhone Tunnel Suite. This is the very first mention I've seen. I will follow up. Is it ok for Windows users?
    Download a program called Diskaid. It is free and works via your USB cable. You don't have to enter an IP address or usename/password. Just launch the program and then plug your phone into it and it automatically recognizes it.

The only thing I can't figure out how to do with it is set permissions(not that I have ever had to do it before) and how to symlink.

actually, I was able to get iTunnel 2.7 working. Once I got the prelims out of the way(changing password, etc) I connected and dug down to /library/themes and the theme that i'd installed recently. I found the English.lproj folder and edited what was there for slider txt and Voila!

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Download a program called Diskaid. It is free and works via your USB cable. You don't have to enter an IP address or usename/password. Just launch the program and then plug your phone into it and it automatically recognizes it.

The only thing I can't figure out how to do with it is set permissions(not that I have ever had to do it before) and how to symlink.
    That's right, without the SSH protocol you can't change permissions, ownership of files, symlinks etc. So programs like DiskAid, iPhoneBrowser, iPhoneList, iFunBox are only useful to transfer files to and from your iPhone.