Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Custom SMS Tones

Default Custom SMS Tones
    Hi, I am new to the jail breaking community, but I am already sick and tired of the standard 6 new text message tones. I figured out how to replace the files that I don't want with the ones that I do, but the problem is that the files are still named what they used to be. Ive been pouring through the files and .plist files and .string files for the past 2 hours and have not been able to find where the information for the names is stored. Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me, or perhaps point me in the right direction?

im not sure what you mean

if you are trying to replace a tone you name the new one the same thing and replace it

Well, if you replace sms-receive6 with your own version, it will still be named electronic. I want it to be named what it actually is. You also aren't able to add new ones, only 6.

you just add it where all the other sms tomes are stored

dont try to replace anything

When I drop a .caf file in there, whether its named sms-received7.caf or mario.caf, it doesn't appear in the preferences. The only way to make the sound exist on the phone is to replace sms-received(1-6) with your file named sms-received(1-6). Somewhere on the iPhone hard drive there is a file that tells the phone that sms-received1.caf is actually named Tri-tone, and that same file probably has restrictions so you can not put more than 6 tones there. The only problem is finding that file

root/systems/library/audio/uiphone

scroll down til you see the file

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ceeboski For This Useful Post:

dncrgrl (2009-04-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have not seen how to change the names of the tones that show up in the settings any where. Not a big deal as you preview the sound when you select it but for a perfectionist, sure try to figure it out and let us know if it works.

The names of the sounds are in /Applications/Preferences.app/English.lproj/Sounds.strings (replace English with the language to which your phone is set). See my signature for ways to edit such a file.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).