Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting Alerts while phone is locked

Default Getting Alerts while phone is locked
    HAIL ALL

AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE, i been away for some time now

anyway lets get down to the matter

I was wondering the other day, while browsing my girlfriends black berry, is there any possible way to receive alerts, on apps like Google talk or even receiving an email while the phone is locked.

This is a neat feature and probably the only feature i grudge the blackberry for, and of course the blackberry messenger, [heffin blackberry...lol]

Instead of checking every minute to see if there is a new email or message from someone

I know for sure that once you even go back to the home screen, once you you are logged in with Google talk, you automatically sign out, which kinda sucks, cause you have to have the phone running to receive an alert

Anyway, i am probably asking for a lot but would be great to have this feature, let me know if anything is around

peace

Bug>Out
    EXPERIENCE FROM THE PAST | TECHNOLOGY FOR THE FUTURE

Email gets checked according to the schedule you set in Settings... Fetch new data. This goes on when the phone is in lock state (though in 2.1 there was a bug that sometimes disabled this).

To keep checking instant messages you have to run a program in the background. This can be done with any app by using Backgrounder (from Cydia). And jailbreak apps can probably run in the background without any help.

To see whether there are new emails and IMs in the lock screen (even before sliding to unlock), you can install Notifier or StatusNotitier. They will display icons for these things in the status bar.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

So there is nothing to make the phone alert like a text came in for mail, oh well the notifier will work

thanks for the speedy response

Quote Originally Posted by thebug3000 View Post
    So there is nothing to make the phone alert like a text came in for mail, oh well the notifier will work

thanks for the speedy response
    Arriving mail makes a sound. Usually not very loud, but you could choose a louder one like the one for sms.
    IM I don't know, maybe you can configure it to make a sound.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Danner For This Useful Post:

thebug3000 (2009-02-04)

Just tried it you can't change it the tone for mail, but so far i been getting the messages while the phone is locked, just got it on the phone since you sent your message

thank Jim

here is a thanks

Thanks
    MobileLog, formerly iLog, will alert you to missed calls/SMSs with a nag tone/vibrate at configurable intervals. It's also a more detailed log reader with call durations, but that feature costs . I believe the nag reminder is free, or at least it keeps working for me after the trial runs out. That was one of my most missed features. It doesn't do email alerts, but hopefully will in a future release.

You can get it from the "http://ixtension.com/cydia" repository.

No affiliation. I just really like the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan00k View Post
    MobileLog, formerly iLog, will alert you to missed calls/SMSs with a nag tone/vibrate at configurable intervals. It's also a more detailed log reader with call durations, but that feature costs . I believe the nag reminder is free, or at least it keeps working for me after the trial runs out. That was one of my most missed features. It doesn't do email alerts, but hopefully will in a future release.

You can get it from the "http://ixtension.com/cydia" repository.

No affiliation. I just really like the app.
    Alternatively, Notifier and Statusnotifier can also be configured to remind of new messages, calls etc. -- and even emails.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danner View Post
    Alternatively, Notifier and Statusnotifier can also be configured to remind of new messages, calls etc. -- and even emails.
    They sure can, but I believe you still have to turn on your screen to check for their reminders. MobileLog sounds a nag tone/vibrate so you don't even have to touch your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan00k View Post
    They sure can, but I believe you still have to turn on your screen to check for their reminders. MobileLog sounds a nag tone/vibrate so you don't even have to touch your phone.
    I'm using StatusNotifier and it reminds me even when the screen is locked. But I don't know for sure about Notifier.