Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to lower minimum volume?

Default How to lower minimum volume?
    Hello,

Is there a way to lower the minimum volume on the ipod touch by editing a plist file? Just like how you can raise the maximum volume by editing RegionalVolumeLimits.plist. When I listen to my ipod in a quiet environment, the lowest volume it goes to is still too loud. I don't want to buy ear phones with volume control so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    treson.

I'm not sure this has ever been tried, but you could see if raising the maximum volume (in SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist) combined with lowering the volumeMultiplier (in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist) would do the trick.

Maybe you can specifically lower that multiplier for one sound channel (it seems the rest of that plist is divided according to channels and types of sound).

Again, no fixed recipe but maybe worth a try.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Danner For This Useful Post:

treson (2009-02-01)

Thanks for this. I just tried it and it seems like it works! I will try again when I sleep tonight.

Thanks,
    treson.

Hey,

It still isn't soft enough to listen to when I sleep. Could you recommend what number I should set the SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist and the volumeMultiplier please? Or is there any other way?

Thanks,
    treson.

Quote Originally Posted by treson View Post
    Hey,

It still isn't soft enough to listen to when I sleep. Could you recommend what number I should set the SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist and the volumeMultiplier please? Or is there any other way?

Thanks,
    treson.
    If you think the volume currently is 2 times as high as it should be, you could set volumeMultiplier to half the value it currently has. See the thinking? And to keep the same maximum volume (if you want that too), you'd then double the maximumvolume value.
    Windows tool to edit .plist, .strings and .nib files: pledit.
    Or use a website that will convert the binary form to a readable format.
    On iPhone you can convert those files in a terminal with plutil (installed with Erica Utilities from Cydia), or edit them with iFile (from Cydia).

HELLO PEOPLE COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET INTO THE IPHONE SYSTEM O REG. EDITO I GUESS IN ORDER TO RAISE THE VOLUME I HEARD THIS COULD DONE BUT I JUST CANT FIGURE OUT HOW. ALSO HOW CAN I GET THE DEV SDK RUNNING ON PC IS THAT IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE. THANK IN ADVANCE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS