Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to change the iPhone text on the Slider?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

Default How to change the iPhone text on the Slider?
    How do you change the iPhone text on the Slider on the power off screen, unlock and answers call? If any knows please tell me I will thank you forever.

check out the guides it is listed there.. plus in the themes you can get some cool pink ones or neat pictures

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    WHICH GUIDES??? theres like 20+ guides on this site, which I have browsed to find what your referring to and HAVN'T! Can u just take the extra 2 secs and post the link to this guide your talking about?

To change the slider text.. Get this file http://modmyi.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=146 It is the localized applications file. Open in a text editer ex wordpad.. and edit the names you want changed. Once finished,.. copy it to the Springboard.app/english folder.. you will see the file there. Replace it with yours... reboot your phone. And boom.

Let me know if that helped you
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That file just allows you to edit the ICON names.. on your homepage..

there's no 'SLIDE TO UNLOCK' text you can change. Isn't the 'Slide to Unlock' text really a .png pic? Please someone chime in on how to change the text on the 'slide to unlock', or 'slide to power off'..

Quote Originally Posted by LuckY07 View Post
    That file just allows you to edit the ICON names.. on your homepage..

there's no 'SLIDE TO UNLOCK' text you can change. Isn't the 'Slide to Unlock' text really a .png pic? Please someone chime in on how to change the text on the 'slide to unlock', or 'slide to power off'..
    I'm gonna go with WRONG.

You can change it pretty easily actually. Go to System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and get the SpringBoard.strings file. Open the file with BBedit and use the search function to search for "slide to unlock". Once you find that test you just replace it with what you want it to say. This file is used to edit MANY different text lines on the iPhone. Just search and replace.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I figured it out.. but as I said before the link that LoringStudios gave was a different file called 'LocalizedApplicationNames', which is not where you adjust the name of the slider.

What I did to get the slider to work was I renamed 'SpringBoard.strings'
    to 'SpringBoard.plist', opened that file in WordPad and adjusted the text, then renamed it back to 'SpringBoard.strings' and copied over to my iPhone via WinSCP.

Hey luck, i tried your method and it didnt' work for me. :/ did you do anything special when editing the text? When i put the new springboard.strings on the iPhone my text (for a lot of things) was all jambled. Thank god putting back the original file fixed it.

The only thing i did different was I used "TextMate" to edit instead of text edit.

but the editing looked like this

... " R%@_slide to power offZEnter" ...

which i changed to

... "R%@_i hate goodbyesZEnter" ...

(line from dumb and dumber )

but yea it didn't work. :/

Quote Originally Posted by LuckY07 View Post
    I figured it out.. but as I said before the link that LoringStudios gave was a different file called 'LocalizedApplicationNames', which is not where you adjust the name of the slider.

What I did to get the slider to work was I renamed 'SpringBoard.strings'
    to 'SpringBoard.plist', opened that file in WordPad and adjusted the text, then renamed it back to 'SpringBoard.strings' and copied over to my iPhone via WinSCP.
    Ohh SCCCHNAPS!! Sorry man. In my head I knew.. but I was thinking 28491 things at once.. He is right above. Its the Springboard.strings file.
    Loring Studios Graphic Design Company | Serving the world, one cool job at a time.
    Graphic Design | Vehicle Wraps | Website Design | Large Format Printing

Green Apple
    Thanks

is there a way to have NO text on the slider at all?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    OK, OK

the reason you are having problems Frog is because you are probably editing the 'Springboard.strings' file by itself on WinSCP or on windows. You need to FIRST change the file extension to *.plist, so make it 'Springboard.plist', THEN edit it using WordPad on Windows, FINALLY save it back as 'Springboard.strings'.

**I made the same mistake as you Frogs, but when you change the extension to .plist the editing looks easier. It's not a bunch of scrambled text together. Try that, then WinSCP it to the iPhone.

btw- the text you edit in the *.plist file is simply 'slide to unlock' or 'slide to power off'.
    Last edited by LuckY07; 2007-08-26 at 05:50 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckY07 For This Useful Post:

FrogsOblivious (2007-08-26), kilana (2007-08-27)

Thanks, but I actually did all that the first time. :/ I copied the file to my HD, changed the file to a .plist and edited it with a text editor. (I'm on a mac btw) Then I changed back to strings, and put back in the iPhone directory. The files don't seem to be different if they're .strings or .plist when i edit them... And i'm making sure to actually change the file type, not just the suffix/name.

hmm

EDIT: I just tried opening it in TextEdit (instead of text mate) and it looks completely different.. that's gotta be the reason. I'll let you know after I try it againusing text edit.

EDIT 2: haha, i got it... i had to use BBedit (textmate and texteditor did not work) Good to know for mac people!

Thanks!
    Last edited by FrogsOblivious; 2007-08-26 at 07:25 AM. Reason: forgot a step i did

... My method would have worked then... no need to change from .strings to .plist if using BBedit...

-__-

Quote Originally Posted by FrogsOblivious View Post
    EDIT: I just tried opening it in TextEdit (instead of text mate) and it looks completely different.. that's gotta be the reason. I'll let you know after I try it againusing text edit.

EDIT 2: haha, i got it... i had to use BBedit (textmate and texteditor did not work) Good to know for mac people!
    If you have the developer tools installed use the "Property List Editor" to edit both .plist & .strings files. Works great for both and it free from Apple. You can change a lot in the "SpringBoard.strings" file.
    Last edited by Pronoun; 2007-09-02 at 11:27 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Lucky I Tried And It Looks Wierd Now..... For The Slide To Unlock it says AWAY_LOCKED And Its Wierd All Over The Place Is There A Way I Can Restore It Back To Its Original State So I Can Try All Over Maybe You Can Tell Me What I Did Wrong ?? I Did What You Told Me.... And I See A Whole Bunch Of Boxes And Where I Did Not See Anywhere "Slide To Unlock" I Changed The Password Font Tho. I Changed Where It Said Enter Password to Whats The Password To My ***** And It Messed Everything Up. I Followed Your Instructions. PLEASE HELP GUYS Im Really Getting Fustrated..... (sorry about caps)

Default Change Slide to Unlock Easy way
    I just figured out how to do change the text on the SLide to Unlock and any other system message text on the iphone Using iFuntastic.
    Open ifuntastic click the file browser. Go to System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and get the SpringBoard.strings file.
    Click it and in the dialog box look for "slide to unlock".
    Once you find that text you just replace it with what you want it to say. Click This file is used to edit MANY different text lines on the iPhone. Just search and replace.
    Click the update iphone tab.
    Wait for the confirmation sound.
    Hold down the sleep wake button on the iphone til it shuts down.
    reboot the iphone and the text will be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRicanobx View Post
    Lucky I Tried And It Looks Wierd Now..... For The Slide To Unlock it says AWAY_LOCKED And Its Wierd All Over The Place Is There A Way I Can Restore It Back To Its Original State So I Can Try All Over Maybe You Can Tell Me What I Did Wrong ?? I Did What You Told Me.... And I See A Whole Bunch Of Boxes And Where I Did Not See Anywhere "Slide To Unlock" I Changed The Password Font Tho. I Changed Where It Said Enter Password to Whats The Password To My ***** And It Messed Everything Up. I Followed Your Instructions. PLEASE HELP GUYS Im Really Getting Fustrated..... (sorry about caps)
    Use this stock file.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/downloa...do=file&id=163

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Thanks A Lot Man I Really Appreciate It.

Green Apple
    Thanks

can you use a hex editor to do this? and is the format anything similar to say the motorola menu files? like an offset for length, etc. anyone figured it out?

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoSox View Post
    is there a way to have NO text on the slider at all?
    Yea just put a " "<---Space, no quotes in place of the text
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast