Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Increase Root Partition Size on fw 2.0

Default Increase Root Partition Size on fw 2.0
    I was wondering how to increase the root partition size on a pwned 2.0 iphone...it's set at 500 MB, but how could i bump that up to 1 GB...it was easy with BossTool, but that obviously does not (yet) exist.
    I appreciate any help, thanks.
    Last edited by knickboy87; 2008-07-24 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo

Why would you ever need 1Gb? The average app is maybe 1 mb. Are youg going to be installing a thousandish apps in the future?

Anywayysss on pwnage if you go to advanced you can choose how large you want the system partition to be.
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)

On 2.0 pwned you don't even NEED that much space because /Applications/ is automatically redirected to a location outside the system partition.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

but if you really want to bump it up, just rebuild your ipsw custom file and do a restore with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    On 2.0 pwned you don't even NEED that much space because /Applications/ is automatically redirected to a location outside the system partition.

how can i on only have 50mb free on my system partition then?

i only upgraded to 2.0 yesterday (Pwnage)

made a clean restore,.but theres only 50mb free

what is using up the 450 mb?

same here ....i have 46mb left......ppl are saying u dont need to increase it since cydia moves things around ..< watever that means..........

well, this is pretty simple: the firmware takes up that space.
    The System folder itself is over 350MB in size, the usr folder is 55MB, and so on.

Admittingly, some applications write some stuff on the system partition (like lighthttpd or command line utilities), but I guess you'll never exceed the remaining 50MB with those.

Applications are always redirected to the Media partition. /Applications/ (where the Cydia apps go) is a symlink (in other words, redirects to) /private/var/stash/Applications/ (and everything in /private/var/ is the media partition) and the AppStore apps are installed into /private/var/mobile/Applications/

regards

Found this:

Download all the apps in the folder /Applications to your desktop. Delete /Applications. Create the folder /var/mobile/Applications2 (you may call it Apps or Programs or whatever you like) and copy all your applications into that folder.
    Now open terminal, enter “ssh [email protected]_IP_ADDRESS”, if you are prompted to accept / authorize the key enter “yes” (it might be that you don’t have to do that). Enter the password for the iPhone, “alpine”, as you’ll know.
    Now, the only thing left to do is to create the symlink: “ln -s /var/mobile/Applications2/ /Applications”. You may copy “endless” applications into “/Applications” now, because it’s now a symlink pointing to the 8GB partition of the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by knickboy87 View Post
    Found this:

Download all the apps in the folder /Applications to your desktop. Delete /Applications. Create the folder /var/mobile/Applications2 (you may call it Apps or Programs or whatever you like) and copy all your applications into that folder.
    Now open terminal, enter “ssh [email protected]_IP_ADDRESS”, if you are prompted to accept / authorize the key enter “yes” (it might be that you don’t have to do that). Enter the password for the iPhone, “alpine”, as you’ll know.
    Now, the only thing left to do is to create the symlink: “ln -s /var/mobile/Applications2/ /Applications”. You may copy “endless” applications into “/Applications” now, because it’s now a symlink pointing to the 8GB partition of the iPhone.
    once again: you do NOT need to do this on 2.0 because it is ALREADY DONE. I don't know if PwnageTool does it or apple, but a pwned 2.0 already has that done! I know because I just checked ;-)

If you want to SSH any programs (over 50 MB, lets say) onto the phone, you need to do that, otherwise you may run out of space, no?

Quote Originally Posted by knickboy87 View Post
    If you want to SSH any programs (over 50 MB, lets say) onto the phone, you need to do that, otherwise you may run out of space, no?
    Nope. Like I said above: /Applications/ already links to /private/var/something/ and /private/var is the 7/15GB partition, not the 500MB one. so you do not need to do that.

for the Windows users out there, has anyone figured out how to do this? The option for moving the the Applications folder to another partition in Winpwn does not seem to exist.

I did find this:
    http://www.haklabs.com/appstore/comm...=1#Comment_551
    That doesnt work
    I alredy found a way. Download putty.exe
    Install it

Type this 3 commands
    /bin/cp -R -p /Applications /private/var/stash/Applications.QD0zy1/
    /bin/rm -rf /Applications
    /bin/ln -s /private/var/stash/Applications.QD0zy1/ /Applications
    but it did not seem to work for me...

Found the answer here:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...er-winpwn.html

mkdir /private/var/Applications
    cp -Rp /Applications/* /private/var/Applications
    mv /Applications /Applications.backup
    ln -s /private/var/Applications/ /Applications
    reboot
    Last edited by rhydewithdis; 2008-07-25 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Nope. Like I said above: /Applications/ already links to /private/var/something/ and /private/var is the 7/15GB partition, not the 500MB one. so you do not need to do that.
    Then why BossPrefs says I have only 120K of 500M on / ?

Yesterday it was even 0 and Cydia gave me error out of free space or sth

@rhydewithdis: there is no option for that in PwnageTool either and it still happened. but maybe winPwn doesn't do it, don't know

@nicktodorov: like I said, because the firmware takes up that much space. normally you should have about 50MB of free space, maybe you installed some stuff that needed to be on the system partition? don't know.

edit: BossTools was just released for 2.0 - for those of you who need to free space. mine, btw, says "ringtones already moved" and "applications already moved" ;-)
    Last edited by BlackWolf; 2008-07-25 at 01:41 PM.

Ya, I saw BossTools came out, and that helped. But it only moved fonts. Whatever, i can deal with 176 MB free out of 500

Where can you see the free space in mb? I just cn see it in %, -by the way- my 750 mb partition has reached 10% free space now and reducing...
    My iPhone 3gs - 16gb has 7gb free space and I can deal with that, but the system partition soon will reach the minimal space.

System memory should be pretty full like that. You're not putting much in there. Don't try and make the partition bigger, if you really want to, you can move files and create symbolic links to them (that's all boss tool would do with fonts in 2.0). That'll free up space, but you really don't need to.

Good point, I apreciate what you mean, thank you!

And to answer your question more specifically, you can view the free memory in your system partition by using sysinfoplus available in Cydia (: