Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW-TO] Use a wap connection on your phone (ex:T-ZONE) and IP Address for connection

Exclamation [HOW-TO] Use a wap connection on your phone (ex:T-ZONE) and IP Address for connection
    So, many providers invoke an additional fee when going through an internet server (for laptop, general internet use) vs a wap server, which is meant for mobile internet pages, and on the iPhone, up until now, you could not access EDGE through a wap server, because there is no place to enter the IP address/proxy address.

It would be great if someone could write an app to do this process right through the phone and it should be quite a simple APP.

Here`s the HOWTO: (using 205.151.11.11 as the IP address, in RED (wap.fido.ca), but put your server`s IP or proxy address there instead.)

make a new text file named proxy.pac with the following text:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0"))
    return "PROXY 205.151.11.11:8080";
    else
    return "DIRECT";
    }

and save it to: /private/var/root on your iPhone.

Next, open up preferences.plist from /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

and add the following text (in red) to preferences.plist where you see ip1 (it is towards the middle of the document:

<dict>
    <key>Interface</key>
    <dict>
    <key>DeviceName</key>
    <string>ip1</string>
    <key>Hardware</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    <key>Type</key>
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
    </dict>
    <key>Proxies</key>
    <dict>
    <key>ProxyAutoConfigEnable</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>ProxyAutoConfigURLString</key>
    <string>file:///private/var/root/proxy.pac</string>
    </dict>
    <key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
    <dict>
    <key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Available</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    <key>Setup</key>
    <dict>
    <key>apn</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>password</key>
    <string></string>
    <key>username</key>
    <string></string>
    </dict>
    <key>Version</key>
    <integer>1</integer>
    </dict>
    </dict>

Save, and reboot the phone, and edit the EDGE options on your phone to reflect apn: wap.fido.com, user: fido, pass:fido, or your service providors settings and enjoy using wapon your iPhone!
    Last edited by shawnie53; 2007-11-12 at 07:36 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shawnie53 For This Useful Post:

Tyreal888 (2008-02-10)

I really need help!!! I have followed the instructions and when i access my internet through safari nothing happens it just stuck on the loading website state. Any suggestions?

I figured out where I messed up. But I still have a question, with this method it seems that the weather, youtube, and imap mail are not working only the safari browser is working. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Tyreal888; 2008-02-10 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost