Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why is Cydia Terrible

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Why is Cydia Terrible
    MONOPOLY!! I hate cydia, back when i discovered rock i never used cydia again! now its a freaking monopoly how much does this suck! now I have to wait 10 minutes to load changes, and sometimes it crashes entirely! and all the reloading data BS... WTF! i don't care if Rock took some careless or dangerous alternatives...
    I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS IT WAS WAY BETTER THAN CYDIA EVER HAS BEEN SARUIK!!

I could restore from backups, read reviews, and all of that.

Please release an update for your pathetic monopolized app already. THIS IS GETTING RE_GOD_DAMN_DICULOUS! (Anchorman)

Come on man its cold at night in the 805 these days. That should be motivation enough to get some coding done to update your app with...

Please!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Your statements are just flat out retarded. Reloading data on an iPhone 4 takes less than 20 seconds. I hope you're not one of those people that load that "all sources" package which just bogs down Cydia with 99% crap. Just because YOU didn't have any issues with Rock doesn't mean a massive number of other users didn't. Why are you BLAMING saurik? Rock sold their rights to him willingly. Be mad at Rock if you want to direct your anger somewhere.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Broomhead (2010-11-16)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, I apologize if I sounded overly angry. I am upset mainly for three reasons;

1. No reviews on packages
    2. No package list backup
    3. Loading time

So what is the "all sources" package you are talking about? If that is the source of most of my frustration than please help me to correct this.

LOL I re-read my first post.. probly should have "Preview Post" that one lol. My bad. No disrespect intended, i'm just frustrated. I should have asked for help rather than rant about it. Sorry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ridingsupreme For This Useful Post:

DavC (2010-11-17)

I totally agree. Cydia is a horribly terrible app and I would not use it if I still had an alternative.

1) loading times: Even 20 seconds is far too long for any mbile phone app to take to load. People don't usually sit down for extended periods of time to use their phone like they would a desktop computer. They use their phones in the brief spaces of life and having to wait even 20 seconds is a drag. Then after one waits 20 seconds for the data to load and is using Cydia, he gets interrupted by Cydia "reloading data" for another 20 seconds. WTF? Anything more than 10 seconds is too much. In fact, 10 seconds is pushing it.

2) No multitasking support: Not much to say here other than that this would not be a problem if Cydia didn't take so long to load. Sometimes I need to switch back to Safari to remember an app I planned to download. When I have to wait 20 seconds again to open Cydia it's quite frustrating.

3) Stability: Cydia crashes all the time. At the most inconvenient times. Such as when one has finally cached all the programs he wishes to update, install and remove. Now he has to go through the tedious and time-consuming process of finding and caching all those apps, mods, and tweaks all over again. Not to mention having to wait 40 seconds for data to load and reload (why the hell does it have to reload?). And the process of caching brings me to my next point;

4) Interface: While I will admit that I did not know / full understand caching at first and that once I did, my life was made extremely easier, it is a confusing and flawed system. It would make more sense to be able to just return to Cydia after installing the package and respring once Cydia had been exited.

5) Reviews and ratings: Everyone knows, but this would make rating and sorting apps in categories much simpler. I hate having to wade through a sea of thousands and useless or flawed packages and themes to find one that is actually worth downloading. There's always Safari and google, but without multitasking, it's a PItA.

6) No (usable) backup system: While I have not had to restore my device I am scarred to death of the day I will and Having to go through the painstaking process of using Cydia mnually to recollect all my jailbreak goodies.

7) Disables many tweaks and system settings: The keyboard clicking sound is turned back on and SBSettings, Activator gestures and MultiFlow are disabled, for example. Maybe there is a reason for this, but sometimes I forget to turn on WiFi before launching Cydia and then have to wait 40 seconds all over again while I quit Cydia to turn on WiFi, then relaunch it. Not to mention the time it takes to find what ever I was looking for again.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it is undeniable that Cydia is an extemely flawed program and I needed to prove this point. I am thankful that such a comprehensive resource exists but I really think someone should release another competitor and that Cydia should just die. There's no hope for it. Jay Freeman isn't going to change anything. Why should he? Cydia is the only option we have; he wins.
    Last edited by cozymonk; 2010-11-17 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typos and asteriks with double spaces and returns

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cozymonk For This Useful Post:

DavC (2010-11-17)

I 2nd the review and rating..that would be a nice feature

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Waleed786 For This Useful Post:

DavC (2010-11-17)

Loading times for Cydia is very bad....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Loading times are a reflection of the sheer number of packages contained in Cydia. For people with an iPhone 3G I can see this is a LONG refresh time.. but the iPhone 3G is worthless to begin with so I'd throw it in the trash. Over the years Cydia has grown by leaps and bounds and as a result the loading times have grown a bit.

The reason there is not multitasking support is b/c you don't want Cydia modding core system files while you're doing other things unless you want to restore you device afterwards.

Cydia has never had ratings... just a fact of the matter... why start complaining about it now?

There are actually several decent app back-up programs out there. You're actually complaining about something you've never tested as you admittedly have never had to restore and re-install your apps. I for one think back-up apps are not smart because if you upgrade your firmware and then restore all your jailbrake apps you may find many of them not compatible with your new firmware and end up in safemode and not know why. Always best to re-install things one by one.

Stability - generally I only see crashing on the iPhone 3G b/c of lack of RAM. People try and go into categories before the app finishes it's initial load.

Finally - Cydia is free. The jailbreak process is free. If you can't code something better then just deal with the tools that are available to us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

turkey26 (2010-11-23)

TBH i think loading times can suck sometimes but other times it aint so bad.

try speeding it up,

i turn off all the themes, ipad and ringtones sections so every time it loads its not looking for updates for them. if i want to browse them simply turn them back on.

keep your sources limited, you will find installing loads of sources is the biggest delay in loading, installing all sources is stupid there lots of sources that duplicate the same things

Im sure saurik is working on an update which will see when 4.2 is JB, maybe then will see some added features, if you have some ideas of what you would like why not email him.

Default Cydia? Ppffftt
    How long has the iPad been out now? Almost a year. And cydia still not compatible with iPad yet, meaning no landscape yet?

Now some people will say that rock wasn't as secure. They apps that is, ok, but what does that has to do with how cydia functions or looks?

I mean with rock. It autobackup everything i installed with an easy setup of an account witch btw it was easy to reach.

How about the darn front page was iPad friendly

Look at cydia right now,yes I mean right now. Still has a post from may 2nd. From when the iPad was 1 month old

Then saurik buy rock. Why? To take out competition ? I guess he wanted to make more than 250k from the cydia store?

I mean dint he say that cydia was soooooooo old looking etc etc cause he was expending all his time fighting rock?

Ok that has been gone for how many months now?

I will use it. Cause it's the only thing I can use but just to stay funny. ********** has a waaaaay better interface than anything cydia has come up with.

Saurik spend some of that money on hiring some people to redo cydia.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Loading times are a reflection of the sheer number of packages contained in Cydia. For people with an iPhone 3G I can see this is a LONG refresh time.. but the iPhone 3G is worthless to begin with so I'd throw it in the trash. Over the years Cydia has grown by leaps and bounds and as a result the loading times have grown a bit.

The reason there is not multitasking support is b/c you don't want Cydia modding core system files while you're doing other things unless you want to restore you device afterwards.

Cydia has never had ratings... just a fact of the matter... why start complaining about it now?

There are actually several decent app back-up programs out there. You're actually complaining about something you've never tested as you admittedly have never had to restore and re-install your apps. I for one think back-up apps are not smart because if you upgrade your firmware and then restore all your jailbrake apps you may find many of them not compatible with your new firmware and end up in safemode and not know why. Always best to re-install things one by one.

Stability - generally I only see crashing on the iPhone 3G b/c of lack of RAM. People try and go into categories before the app finishes it's initial load.

Finally - Cydia is free. The jailbreak process is free. If you can't code something better then just deal with the tools that are available to us.
    look bro. i understand that you most likely use linux on your desktop and are probably used to long process of updating sources. for the millions of us other iphone users that have never dealt with sources before, the loading process IS unacceptable. i dread having to open cydia. i dread having to reload after i install something. i dread HAVING to find a 3rd party program to back up files when it could and has been built into a jailbreak installer. i don't wanna hear this crap about the program being free because most of us have bought an app or two from the cydia store. just like in life, its free to walk into a walmart. but if walmart buys up every other store in the city, then makes you have to wait outside for 40 seconds before you enter the store it just turns into a bad situation. i would have the right to complain to the manager that i am a CUSTOMER and would much rather spend that 40 seconds browsing the store. rock was awesome. i wouldn't care if that thing crashed my phone every 6 months on the dot. it worked fast when i needed it to. just to give you another analogy. it's like me being in a 2011 mustang with no seat belts on. then being forced to ride a horse with a bubble suit on. sure the first option was dangerous but it got me where i needed QUICK and the way i wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingsupreme View Post
    MONOPOLY!! I hate cydia, back when i discovered rock i never used cydia again! now its a freaking monopoly how much does this suck! now I have to wait 10 minutes to load changes, and sometimes it crashes entirely! and all the reloading data BS... WTF! i don't care if Rock took some careless or dangerous alternatives...
    I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS IT WAS WAY BETTER THAN CYDIA EVER HAS BEEN SARUIK!!

I could restore from backups, read reviews, and all of that.

Please release an update for your pathetic monopolized app already. THIS IS GETTING RE_GOD_DAMN_DICULOUS! (Anchorman)

Come on man its cold at night in the 805 these days. That should be motivation enough to get some coding done to update your app with...

Please!
    I agree with oyu 100% The reloading crap takes forever and loads stupid stuff no one cares about. not to mention most of the new apps and themes you hvae to purchase them to use. it's retarded and cydia is ruined!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's retarded how you guys are criticizing Cydia. I'd like to see you all do better than Saurik. Why don't you all group together and create a super Cydia competitor and see how well that goes, then come back and say Cydia sucks.

And FYI, my iPhone 4 takes less than 5 seconds to load. If yours is taking too long for your taste maybe ya need to buy a new phone. If you can't afford it, don't complain.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 5h4d0w's Avatar
    Thanks

My 3g takes only 20 seconds to load, update, and reload sources on a 256k connection with 4 extra sources. 40 seconds is a little exaggerated, don't 'ya think?

Multitasking would be bad; I use to think that would be a good idea, too, but the possibilities for the user to screw something up while it's backgrounded outweigh the benefits.

Cydia NEVER crashes for me, that may not be the case for everyone, though.

The interface is simple, easy to use and understand... Don't fix what ain't broken.

Reviews/Ratings is a GREAT idea, I totally agree with you on that.

Backup system would be a good idea, but there are apps available to do this already.

The reason tweaks are disabled is so that there is absolutely no possibility that a theme/tweak/mod can break Cydia. I don't particularly like this "feature", but it's for the best, I'm sure.

Just my opinion.

Make sure you have the new Cydia, version 3366.

The new version has had a MASSIVE speed improvement.

I agree bring back Rock

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Is anyone else having problems with Cydia today? It constantly crashes, even after a respring.

the mmi repo is having some problem not even showing up. mine isnt crashing though. i'd hang tight for a while and see what gets resolved on its own. its on mmi's side.