Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia opens then crashes

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Cydia opens then crashes
    i restored my 3g tonight to 3.1.2. I was able to install blackrain, snow, and Cydia. When i opened Cydia, it loaded then gave a "failed to fetch" error, then proceeded to reload data. This is when it crashes. Why is it doing this?? Does anyone have any advice??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Restore and rejailbreak. When Cydia crashes before opening completely, it's hard to fix. So a restore and rejb is the best option.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i've done this about 5 times now. should i try installing Snow to unlock then install Cydia?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Snow? You mean ultrasn0w? you get that from Cydia also. Perhaps I am confused.
    Make sure you set up as a new phone, never restore from a back up.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Snow? You mean ultrasn0w? you get that from Cydia also. Perhaps I am confused.
    Make sure you set up as a new phone, never restore from a back up.

when i click the blackra1n icon on the phone, there is an app to use to unlock called snow. I think its blacksnow perhaps??

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yes it's blacksn0w. Your baseband has to be below 5.11.07 for it to work. Anything up to 5.13.04 uses Ultrasn0w. But I don't think that's your problem. Your problem is Cydia not working.

Like blkcadi said, do not restore from back up. That's likely the culprit of why the problem is repeating.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Grrrr!! And all i really care about is my contacts

Thanks

If you have synced with iTunes, you will get all your contacts back, no worries.

Green Apple
    Thanks

If you have synced with iTunes, you will get all your contacts back, no worries.
    ok i'm being told too many things! restore but dont use backup? i thought using backup is HOW u get ur contacts???

Someone break it down for me!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know how that works but try a third party, like google contacts or Microsoft Outlook. Add your contacts in there, and you should be able to sync them back in after you restore and set up as new.

Thanks

Just sync again after you restore (re-jailbreak) and you will get them back if you have synced you phone in iTunes before.

Think the problem here is we have 3 women in one thread, lolz
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2010-11-12 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol im kinda offended by the women part so I'll rephrase u and say "we have a dumb blonde" in here..refering to Me :-p

I'm almost ready to throw the phone at the wall and just get the Samsung Vibrant. Apple is getting too tricky b/c they want their money lol

i tried a new motheod last night. I restored the phone, jailbroke it w/ Blackrain, then before i resynced it w/ Itunes, I installed Cydia and tried to load it this way. It is still giving me the same error msg. Puma mentioned in another post it might be the bootloader being at 5.9 possibly? It's not the baseband b/c thats showing 5.11.07. I should quit whining and just be thankful it's unlocked to the T-mobile network.
    Last edited by amandarenee; 2010-11-12 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you have iPhonebrowser? When Cydia crashes launch iPhone browser and navigate to: /private/var/lib/apt/lists Delete everything in the folder except for Partial. Reboot the phone and launch Cydia again.

That fixes the problem for most users, but I had to do the following on mine because the /lists didn't help:

Browse to: etc/apt/sources.list.d/ Delete all sources in there EXCEPT for Saurik.list.

Reboot.

Mine happened just after a Cydia update. There were 7 of them. I upgraded Essential only and then followed up with updating the rest after.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Do you have iPhonebrowser? When Cydia crashes launch iPhone browser and navigate to: /private/var/lib/apt/lists Delete everything in the folder except for Partial. Reboot the phone and launch Cydia again.

That fixes the problem for most users, but I had to do the following on mine because the /lists didn't help:

Browse to: etc/apt/sources.list.d/ Delete all sources in there EXCEPT for Saurik.list.

Reboot.

Mine happened just after a Cydia update. There were 7 of them. I upgraded Essential only and then followed up with updating the rest after.
    I don't have it but I will install it whenever I get home today I just completed reading about it before i looked at this post.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Think the problem here is we have 3 women in one thread, lolz
    you should consider we are the few, the proud women mods lol

Thanks

In iTunes, under the info tab when you have your phone connected to iTunes, you will see "sync contacts with". There is a drop down menu that gives you options on where to store your contacts, Outlook, Google, Yahoo etc. You should if you have not chosen one to sync to. I use Google myself, most use Outlook on Windows machines.
    If that box is checked, then your contacts are there and after you restore, you can sync them all back in without using the "sync from back-up" option which screws phones up most times.

No offense meant about the comment about women, Puma-leaf, and myself are women and from your forum name I assumed you were also, just havin' fun.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok so in the iphone browser, the private folder is not showing up at all.

Thanks

^ You have to be at the root directory. Not real familiar with iPhoneBrowser, I use WinScp, so hard for me to explain on how to get to the root directory. Should be a " / " sign or "Home" perhaps to point to the root. Maybe someone will chime in and explain further, sorry.

Green Apple
    Thanks

hey thanks to the both of u! i dont know how but i did one last restore on the phone & downgraded back to itunes9, somehow it make my phone & cydia function again! Sometimes just clicking buttons really does work thank u so much