Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia loading data and then crashes - tried everything I've seen on the forums HELP!!!

Default Cydia loading data and then crashes - tried everything I've seen on the forums HELP!!!
    I have a jailbroken, unlocked iphone 3g. When I try to load Cydia, it says loading data and then it crashes. I've googled and tried deleting all of the files in var/lib/apt/lists with the exception of the partial folder. I have looked in the updates folder and nothing is there. Cydia will load properly but then starts downloading packages and releases and I get an error messsage, "failed to fetch" all of these files which appear to be the same ones that I deleted in the var/lib/apt/lists folder. I then go to add more sources and it says that it cannot locate package and that I should add more sources. The only package it shows me is iPhone Firmware, although I'm sure I have others. I am able to ssh with winSCP, so that means I do have OpneSSH, right?

I admit I am a newbie and do not know a lot about all of this, but am trying to learn. I have spent hours searching for answers and am at a loss, which is why I am posting here.

Please help!

Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Rejailbreak again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

rehabdirector (2010-11-07)

I was afraid that was going to be the solution.

Question, and please excuse my ignorance....if I rejailbreak, will I lose everything that has been downloaded through Cydia in the past?

TIA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rehabdirector View Post
    I was afraid that was going to be the solution.

Question, and please excuse my ignorance....if I rejailbreak, will I lose everything that has been downloaded through Cydia in the past?

TIA!
    Yes but purchased onesin Cydia will not cost you to redownload again and well free ones are just that free.

AptBackup is a free back up of Cydia apps

PKGbackup is fair but it cost and support is nill to none but is fair backup.

Hope this helps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

rehabdirector (2010-11-07)

Thank you so much for your responses! Greatly appreciated!

Last question...I've been researching using redsn0w to jailbreak it. Instructions say to restore to 3.1.2. Do I need to do that step if I already have 3.1.2. It's probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I don't do anything I shouldn't.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rehabdirector View Post
    Thank you so much for your responses! Greatly appreciated!

Last question...I've been researching using redsn0w to jailbreak it. Instructions say to restore to 3.1.2. Do I need to do that step if I already have 3.1.2. It's probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I don't do anything I shouldn't.

Thanks again for your patience and help!
    Being you have a 3g I would stay at 3.1.2

Just run redsn0w again.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

rehabdirector (2010-11-08)