Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 4 section in cydia

Default iphone 4 section in cydia
    Just trying to get an idea if there needs to be a iphone 4 section in cydia? there are many apps that do not run well if at all on iphone 4. and winterboard themes are hit and miss. none of the battery themes i have installed work, as well as keypad themes and my custom themes need to be reworked to look good on the retina display. resizing to 114x114 just makes huge icons. anyone have suggestion or a "how-to" on making themes for the new display? and who to contact jay "saurik" freeman. I guess about getting a iphone 4 apps and themes devoted section? sent a tweet about it, is there more we could do?

This would be a good idea, the problem is that the apps would only be in the "iPhone 4" section and not any other sections that they would be easier to find in. Then once apps begin to work universally on all devices these sections would be obsolete. An iPhone 4 themes section might not be such a bad idea though, considering how those themes would be obviously formatted differently on the iPhone 4 than on pre-iPhone 4 phones (I think).
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

I think this is a great idea.

of just patiently wait for the iOS4 compatible note in every app on Cydia.
    Something Hidden in iPhone 4---Steve Jobs twitter

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrotolo For This Useful Post:

cbyerley (2010-08-03)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
    So it's sit and patiently wait or complain... I choose complain...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

kangorillas (2010-08-04)

apps such as winterboard on iphone 4 , will have to be configured differently to accommodate the retina display. it seems as to having 2 diffrent winterboards, or have winterboard be able to tell if your on a iphone 4 when installing a iphone 4 or older theme. right now i've made 2 themes for iphone 4 and both make huge icons all over the screen when installed with winterboard because of the icon size. old 57x57...ip4 114x114. manually it looks great. basically it's not a ios4 issue it's a iphone 4 issue. the screen difference means everything will have to be remade with this new resolution in mind. all themes will have to be redone to take advantage and winterboard redone to correctly render the icons.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

It use to be in Cydia and still does as though it has been neglected as of lately!

I use to see and still do on some apps when choosing apps to be downloaded you can scroll down and one of the comments would be Compatible With Your OS

I for one would like to see this closely monitered and updated, but that calls for a little extra work and I don't know if it will be rekindled!

What's sad is that more and more people are 'newbies' to jailbreaking since the official legalization of JB'ing.

First app they will be using, Cydia, doesn't differentiate between what does and doesn't work on their phone. A lot of potential support ($$) being lost to JB app developers too...

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrEous View Post
    What's sad is that more and more people are 'newbies' to jailbreaking since the official legalization of JB'ing.

First app they will be using, Cydia, doesn't differentiate between what does and doesn't work on their phone. A lot of potential support ($$) being lost to JB app developers too...
    That's entirely fixable by the developers themselves. Usually only takes a day or so for most repos to get the apps and packages updated. They have two options, update the repo listing info to show compatibility or actually update the app to support the new phone.

Any money lost is on them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-04)

Foe Mofroen Sho

please add this!!!!!!! bump!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to EastBayBeast510 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (2010-08-14)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
    Please don't interpret this as a "complaint," however iOS4 compatibility doesn't necessarily also mean iPhone 4 compatibility.

exactly IOS4 compatible means nothing as far as the iphone 4 goes. I've had to manually change most thing in the actual system of the iphone for thing to work with my iP4. just would be nice to have It's own section for downloads. and the weird thing is most apps i've got I've had to get a older version to work with my ip4, all the ios4 compatible usually don't work. this includes apps from **********. so fyi get a older version and you should be good

Oooooo you said a dirty word... You shall be cast down into the flames of HELL for such talk around here mister.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That would be nice. It would make searching for stuff a lot easier.

Thanks

Cydia had been doing a pretty good job with i4 & iOS4. I was thinking of this as a section also, witch is why I searched for it first. It is very hard to get something consistant to work for your status bar. and reflective dock and icon shadows will not work. There is so much out there that I think thats all we are going to have to do is sit and wait. trail and error. Nothing major. I've never totally locked out my i4 yet. Just boots up in safemode. I can wait.. I waited for the JB! Patients is a vertue..