Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Updates

Quote Originally Posted by ylluminate View Post
    Okay, perfect fix w/ flawless reboot:

Grab:
    http://www.metalabyss.com/iphone/usr.sbin.zip
    http://www.metalabyss.com/iphone/bin.zip

(Ex: wget http://www.metalabyss.com/iphone/bin.zip while ssh'd into ~/ folder)

Commands:
    `unzip usr.sbin.zip && cp -i usr.sbin/* /usr/sbin/`
    `unzip bin.zip && cp -i bin/* /bin/`

You might want to chmod nvram: `chmod 555 /usr/sbin/nvram` (you could scale down the perms if that bothers you so it's not world x)

While you're still logged in as root (you did `ssh root@your_phone` right?) run:
    aptitude update
    aptitude dist-upgrade

And it should update flawlessly. If it did, feel free to reboot with the command `reboot` or do it the way you feel best doing it. I also had a glance at my /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions to be sure things were executable properly. I have it set to show as green so it is a quick glance for me in `ls` or you can use `ls -l` to get the more verbose permissions... if you don't know what all of this stuff is, please be sure to research each command first........ :P

Good luck! No probs on my end whatsoever, but obviously your mileage may vary if you have other issues going on. I just typed the above from memory without copying and pasting from the shell so don't hate me if I have a typo; but everything looks right. Hopefully this helps.
    Is it possible to do this from DFU or recovery mode?

Quote Originally Posted by spooky655 View Post
    Is it possible to do this from DFU or recovery mode?
    Unfortunately there is no way to do this without ssh access. So, you have to have ssh active before you can jump in. In order to have ssh the phone has to be able to start the various initialization scripts from launchd or whatever mechanism the iPhone uses now to launch the startup scripts (can't remember off the top).

What I do is run an rsync backup daily when the phone is working so that I keep a hold of all important files and settings that iTunes doesn't already have:

`rsync --exclude .Trashes --exclude dev/ --exclude private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/ --exclude private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/ -av root@my_iphone:/ /path/to/backup_folder --delete`

Be careful with this!!! --delete will wipe out files in the destination location so don't run it unless you're 100% certain you have the right path. I further recommend setting up a key relationship for running that script w/o password input or use Expect - Expect - Home Page to automate.

Anyway, sorry, you have to get ssh working before you can fiddle.

Unfortunately there is no way to do this without ssh access. So, you have to have ssh active before you can jump in. In order to have ssh the phone has to be able to start the various initialization scripts from launchd or whatever mechanism the iPhone uses now to launch the startup scripts (can't remember off the top).

What I do is run an rsync backup daily when the phone is working so that I keep a hold of all important files and settings that iTunes doesn't already have:

`rsync --exclude .Trashes --exclude dev/ --exclude private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/ --exclude private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/ -av root@my_iphone:/ /path/to/backup_folder --delete`

Be careful with this!!! --delete will wipe out files in the destination location so don't run it unless you're 100% certain you have the right path. I further recommend setting up a key relationship for running that script w/o password input or use Expect - Expect - Home Page to automate.

Anyway, sorry, you have to get ssh working before you can fiddle.
    How is it then that you can run a jailbreak program and install cydia from recovery mode? Shouldn't I be able to copy the files by the same method that a jailbreak program installs cydia?

Unfortunately a jailbreak uses a weakness or open vector in the DFU mode. So, it's not giving you ssh access to the phone, but rather allowing things to be inserted or injected into the OS that further pries open the operating system to allow further use as you're desiring. So, no, it's not simple to get shell access that way. If someone would use the vector to insert the original files that you need to boot it back up rather than just wiping it out, perhaps that is possible, but I am figuring it is not as clean as that in terms of direct filesystem access but rather inserting a custom kernel and then facilitating insertion. I don't know the details behind it as I've never researched it, but at the moment I don't believe that anyone has prepared a method to allow this as per your desire. Sure, it would be nice to have a custom recovery mode, but hopefully with apt-get/aptitude OS version updates from here on out these issues won't be a problem and jailbreak packages will be a bootstrapper rather than something needed for each upgrade.

Unfortunately a jailbreak uses a weakness or open vector in the DFU mode. So, it's not giving you ssh access to the phone, but rather allowing things to be inserted or injected into the OS that further pries open the operating system to allow further use as you're desiring. So, no, it's not simple to get shell access that way. If someone would use the vector to insert the original files that you need to boot it back up rather than just wiping it out, perhaps that is possible, but I am figuring it is not as clean as that in terms of direct filesystem access but rather inserting a custom kernel and then facilitating insertion. I don't know the details behind it as I've never researched it, but at the moment I don't believe that anyone has prepared a method to allow this as per your desire. Sure, it would be nice to have a custom recovery mode, but hopefully with apt-get/aptitude OS version updates from here on out these issues won't be a problem and jailbreak packages will be a bootstrapper rather than something needed for each upgrade.
    So you're saying I can't do anything that is different from a normal jailbreak easily?

Is it not possible that by running a new jailbreak program (ex. next redsn0w) that has the same cydia version that was installed improperly, I could have a working cydia installation with correctly installed dependencies? Or can this issues created by this update not be fixed by reinstalling cydia?

A fresh jailbreak should get you back at it, however I don't know how that works with your old files and applications. I am a deep unix guy with a lot of mac os x background, but I've not jailbroken but a handful of devices that have had very serious issues. Someone else will need to chime in regarding whether right now you'll be likely to loose everything. I don't think redsn0w overwrites the entire fs like some of the others, but I just don't know well enough atm.

Anyone know the answer for him regarding how redsn0w effects the current file system of a b0rked device like his? If it doesn't modify the fs structure in the appropriate folders I fear that unfortunately even redsn0w won't do you any good as you likely will have to have an fs that has the appropriate files in the first place...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ylluminate For This Useful Post:

spooky655 (2010-05-11)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willeyeam View Post
    except i need it to work, not be stuck in recovery for another two days.

Listen ****** bag you've been a punk enough now. what are you, like 14 yrs old?
    I came to this forum because i was concerned about the update.
    people here were having issues with it as I was afraid. I tried to help them (thank you very much, you *****).
    then, lo and behold, my phone WOULD NOT BOOT UP OUT OF THE BLUE. that's an issue (god i want to smack you).
    Then I had the same issue with the diskdevs.
    WHY DON"T YOU RESTORE YOUR PHONE AND TRY TO REPRODUCE THE ERROR, instead of talking ****.
    You know, after my last post I actually thought about it some more and I felt that I had been way too easy on you. You talked about new users being 'prevented' from posting and that that caused a lot of information to be lost. Well, it seems it was quite the contrary. I was right on point in my very first post. What you were experiencing had nothing to do with this thread. In fact, YOU NEVER EXPERIENCED ANY PROBLEM AT ALL. You know why some people disregard posts from new users? It's because of people like you. You never actually had the problem and yet you claim you know all and actually try to lecture Saurik. Well, get lost. You're dragging the community down.

thanks for your advice previously, even though i still figured it out alone and basically wasted time here trying to explain to you what i wrote over and over and apparently you have a 3rd grade reading comprehension.
    With your high intelligence, how could you miss my first point over and over again? You know, the one about your problems starting before Cydia is even run. When you smack jailbreak on top of jailbreak, you're bound to mess up your phone. Well, at least you can blaim everyone but yourself. Go you!

C'mon! Gimme that perm ban!! no one here but this punk wrote anything, and now after i thank him he starts talking ****? Thank your god you don't live in my town.
    Don't worry, you won't get banned for making a harshly written post.

Though, did you just make an RL threat? If you know what the word irony means, I think you should read what you wrote about my age.
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-05-11 at 10:39 AM.

So you're saying I can't do anything that is different from a normal jailbreak easily?

Is it not possible that by running a new jailbreak program (ex. next redsn0w) that has the same cydia version that was installed improperly, I could have a working cydia installation with correctly installed dependencies? Or can this issues created by this update not be fixed by reinstalling cydia?
    Is there anyone with some knowledge of the cydia installation, by redsn0w, that can answer this?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Is there anyone with some knowledge of the cydia installation, by redsn0w, that can answer this?
    Are you stuck in a boot loop? If so, check out Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Are you stuck in a boot loop? If so, check out Preventing baseband update as a last-ditch effort [iPhone Dev Team]
    I have an iPod touch 2G. I'm not able to boot (apple logo shows for a few seconds, then my iPod turns off) because of the cydia update that incorrectly installed parts of cydia.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have an iPod touch 2G. I'm not able to boot (apple logo shows for a few seconds, then my iPod turns off) because of the cydia update that incorrectly installed parts of cydia.
    I think you'll have to restore then. Don't know if it brings any comfort, but at least you won't have to worry about baseband update like phone users.

I think you'll have to restore then. Don't know if it brings any comfort, but at least you won't have to worry about baseband update like phone users.
    Are you sure? I want a definite answer as I REALLY don't want to lose the data on the iPod. You can look at my other posts in this thread for more specifics.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Are you sure? I want a definite answer as I REALLY don't want to lose the data on the iPod. You can look at my other posts in this thread for more specifics.
    Well, if you can go to recovery mode, I'm pretty sure it's possible, although I don't think there's any easily available tool that'll let you do it.

You might want to hold off with restoring until someone has a definite answer.

Well, if you can go to recovery mode, I'm pretty sure it's possible, although I don't think there's any easily available tool that'll let you do it.

You might want to hold off with restoring until someone has a definite answer.
    Well, just to rule something out, can it not be fixed by reinstalling cydia? A jailbreak tool that installs the latest cydia would have to install cydia as well as all its dependencies (which I understand, from reading through this thread, are causing the problem).

Well, just to rule something out, can it not be fixed by reinstalling cydia? A jailbreak tool that installs the latest cydia would have to install cydia as well as all its dependencies (which I understand, from reading through this thread, are causing the problem).
    Maybe you should take a look at this thread:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/710...pple-logo.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to xkiller For This Useful Post:

spooky655 (2010-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by xkiller View Post
    Maybe you should take a look at this thread:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/710...pple-logo.html
    Thanks man. Can't wait for the fix.

Guys, first of all I have suffered and recovered from this mess using a DFU restore.

Now I have another jailbroken iPhone that hasn't been updated for quite some time, be it through Cydia or Rock... is it safe to update now, i.e. has the mess been cleared?

I not only see diskdev-cmds in the update queue but also system-cmds and I am just too worried to press the Update button.

Thanks for advice!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by globalist View Post
    Guys, first of all I have suffered and recovered from this mess using a DFU restore.

Now I have another jailbroken iPhone that hasn't been updated for quite some time, be it through Cydia or Rock... is it safe to update now, i.e. has the mess been cleared?

I not only see diskdev-cmds in the update queue but also system-cmds and I am just too worried to press the Update button.

Thanks for advice!
    The update should be fine as long as you do it in Cydia.

Recently whenever I try to download or upgrade a package in Cydia, it tries to download another package as well: iPhone Firmware (/sbin)

It downloads fine, but when it is being installed two popups appear.
    The first says "Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
    The second says "/var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-sbin_0.1_iphoneos-arm.deb subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1"

How can I complete the installation of this package/stop cydia from trying to install it?

I've restored & JB the phone again but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DanteXXL View Post
    Recently whenever I try to download or upgrade a package in Cydia, it tries to download another package as well: iPhone Firmware (/sbin)

It downloads fine, but when it is being installed two popups appear.
    The first says "Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
    The second says "/var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-sbin_0.1_iphoneos-arm.deb subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1"

How can I complete the installation of this package/stop cydia from trying to install it?

I've restored & JB the phone again but no luck.
    If you look earlier in this thread, you should see instructions on installing it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast