Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Updates

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by willeyeam View Post
    well, that's not so helpful. would you know the thread that's better?

anyways, it seems there may be a connection. these update issues with cydia happened simultaneously to my phone bricking, and each problem has made the other worse. I've been restoring for two days, right now I'm looking at a brick in DFU mode and I can't get iTunes to allow restoring to 3.1.2.

so, perhaps my problems getting cydia's icon to show up has something to do with the fact that diskdev-cmds is removed. can you tell me speifcally why there is no connection?

if you could I'd imagine you 'd know why i get no cydia icon? or better, how i can get cydia to show up?
    tried restrictions trick, installing an app trick, etc etc. i can get in with iphonebrowser/iphoneexplorer so is there anything i can do with that?

anyway, the answer to the problems in this thread is:
    let cydia run it's update, it will then relaunch cydia.
    DO NOT REBOOT
    IMMEDIATELY install diskdev-cmds via cydia (please note here in the thread whether it was installed or not at this point)

This has worked for me each time (as it has happened every time)

what killed my phone this time seems to be blacksn0w.

so now I've helped, can you help me?

i just need my iphone unlocked. there are conflictin report online about 3.1.3. i still have 5.07.11 baseband. can i upgrade to a pwn'd 3.1.3, preservbe my baseband, and use blacksn0w?

thanks!
    I know because you said that immediately after a restore to a custom firmware, Cydia icon wasn't there. Pwnagetool hasn't been updated since these updates to Cydia so whatever you're experiencing now, you would've experienced before as well. It sounds more like a corrupted firmware file.

I'm not sure if you know, but diskdev won't show if you're in Simple mode, so that could explain why you don't see it. You don't need to install it after a restore. Cydia will do what it needs to by itself. As I said before, if you're experiencing problems, it's very likely nothing to do with this thread.

What I suggest is make or download a new 3.1.2 (or 3.1.3) pwnagetool made custom firmware and restoring to it. When you first get into Cydia, just do the full upgrade, don't search for any special tools. Then reboot. There shouldn't be any problems but if there are, come back and say which you ran into.

As for blacksn0w, if you use RC2, it'll work with 3.1.3 - you should actually use RC2 even if you stay on 3.1.2 as it fixes the boot loops and wifi problems that some users have been experiencing.

To get RC2, in Cydia add the repo http://cydia.pushfix.info/ then search for and install 'blacksn0w RC2 Final'. If you're worried, the tool is sanctioned by geohot, though not made by him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

willeyeam (2010-05-10)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It sounds more like a corrupted firmware file.
    yeah I troubleshot that already. Downloaded new ipsw direct from apple. Maybe my copies of pwnagetool 3.1.4&3.1.5 are both corrupted. Dubious, as the issue persists even at times with redsn0w and blackra1n.

I'm not sure if you know, but diskdev won't show if you're in Simple mode, so that could explain why you don't see it. You don't need to install it after a restore. Cydia will do what it needs to by itself
    I'm not in simple mode - I'm in hacker+commandline. Besides I checked the list of installed packages AND the button on diskdev-cmds' page says 'install' not 'modify.' Also, this is not immediately after restore, but right after that when I let cydia run its updates.
    This is a legit bug and everyone needs to STOP PASSING BLAME already. Saurik's install is flawed or there's a conflict with something that has absolutely nothing to do with end-user modifications. Everything I'm describing is 100% stock parts. Keep asking me I've already troubleshot it all.

Then reboot. There shouldn't be any problems but if there are, come back and say which you ran into.
    I HOPE NO ONE TOOK YOUR ADVICE. that's not correct. Saurik sent me a dm on twitter that the issue is only for some users who have removed diskdevs (now, who'd do that?) or used cheap APTs - but I can tell you this is not true for me. I've read lots of identical reports about this issue already, while searching for fixes to mine so I'm not making this connection out of the blue. Tell you what I actually aborted the update the 1st time it came up. I noticed the 'iPhone firmware (/sbin)' in the queu and raised my brow. I actually found this thread on my first search. So unless everyone here with the #nodiskdevs issue is just lying to make me look like an 4$$: My hypothesis was correct, I predicted the results, and I never experienced them.
    No one wants to answer the #nocydiaicon issue (go look its been an issue since 2.1 and even for people who never heard of categories or libhide) and everyone is denying that the #nodiskdev issue ISNT YET SOLVED unless you follow my reccomendation. Here it is out of the horse's mouth, if you tell people to reboot without verifying they have diskdevs immediately after updating cydia, you will brick their phone and cause them great difficulty in restoring as the phone won't boot. saurik's DMs for you all and posterity:
    " The behaviors people are seeing seem to do with diskdev-cmds being missing, which has nothing to do with the update."
    & I asked if he'd add diskdev-cmds as a dependency to his update and he wrote back:
    " The firmware-sbin package is already quite anal about that. Never use cheap APT clones: they do things incorrectly."
    I respect saurik very much as he puts the crucial work into keeping this platform and community going - he's core. Still, I am not convinced his update is not causing this, it could be a combination of the load spirit is putting on him and a bit of pride (I'm here kinda defending mine right now haha). There's no explanation in my case I can see yet.
    Well, you gave me a clue to try, maybe my pwnagetools have bad permissions? I'll try redownloading them - even though I got the phone working by redundantly JBing with redsn0w after my pwnagetool'd fresh restore had #nocydiaicon for the tenth time. And yyyeeesss I flash to factory ipsw after each F417.

As for blacksn0w, if you use RC2, it'll work with 3.1.3 - you should actually use RC2 even if you stay on 3.1.2 as it fixes the boot loops and wifi problems that some users have been experiencing.
    oh really cool! Is this for real? I searched and found self-conflicting reports at redmondpie, and different info elsewhere on this. Last I read the RC2 does patch the 05.11.07 baseband in 3.1.2&3.1.3, but will cause serious issue with 3.1.2's commcenter. In fact i read that the RC2 pkg inspects your firmware version in a nonstandard way to avoid the firmware faker tweak that tells iTunes and AppStore 3.1.3 when it's actually 3.1.2, and checks your baseband- and won't install in the wrong environment. Perhaps for you and others it seems to work but either you're not making the mistake or it's automatically installing the correct blacksn0w for you. I'm on 3.1.2 with 5.11.07 and RC1, no wifi or YouTube or reboot issues, and I have had them in the past. Its a bit early to say but maybejustmaybe I'm dropping my signal a bit (happened once so far). We'll see.

If someone can verify with substantial evidence or reasoning that RC2 works on 3.1.2+05.11.07 I'd like to try it.

Thanks Dhamien !
    Last edited by willeyeam; 2010-05-09 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're not getting around my first point which was that you have problems that have nothing to do with diskdev. If you have no Cydia icon immediately after install, the problems described in this thread obviously cannot have arisen yet.

Saurik already mentioned that this could be a two-part problem. What most users experience have to do with Rock, you can check throughout this thread and on other forums. Again, why I say that your problems are not what is in this thread.

As for blacksn0w RC2, you can read it for yourself from the developer who fixed blacksn0w here: Pushfix 2.0 • View topic - Blacksn0w RC2 Final

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You're not getting around my first point which was that you have problems that have nothing to do with diskdev. If you have no Cydia icon immediately after install, the problems described in this thread obviously cannot have arisen yet.
    I don't think so, I've told you that in my case these issues have occurred in tandem each time. Again:

fresh factory 3.1.2 restore >
    [hot JB with blackra1n or redsn0w] >
    fresh JB restore to pwn'd 3.1.2 (pwnagetool 3.1.4&3.1.5) [different users, different ipsw's, & DFU/Recovery/booted] >
    JB'd 4sho, root access with iPhone browser and once I installed spotbright and mobilesubstrate BUT #nocydiaicon >
    Hot JB [redsn0w or blackra1n] >
    CYDIA ICON YAY! >
    update cydia 1st thing [essential and complete] >
    ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK DISKDEV-CMDs! >
    oh look it's been uninstalled, and geez I just rebooted before updating cydia so I know for sure it was installed 3 minutes ago…

can you tell me how this is not a problem with the update ALONE?

and given that there's a direct correlation between #nocydiaicon and #nodiskdevs - for me, every single time - I canthelp but think that while it does seem very unlikely they're related, the numbers are hard to ignore.

Besides, I came to this thread to help with the update issues BEFORE I HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL because as I said I predicted a problem when I saw (/sbin) in the queu. THEN my phone randomly bricked out of the blue, and I had the #nocydia icon bug each time AS WELL as seeing my hunch about #nodiskdevs being 100% accurate in my case.

As I see it, YOU are trying to dodge my points about #nodiskdevs by trying to shut me up about #nocydiaicon. Don't blame me for trying to share my apparently correct predicted hypothesis and the blinding correlation I'm observing over here.

I'm trying to help us find answers. Too many people (notnamingnames) want to say "no that's not it" but when venture my neck to offer an idea you just wanna scoff me? No wonder you don't know what's causing #nocydiaicon since 2.1 - anyone who says it's not because "they had categories hiding and restored from backup" probably gets shunted (like this) or scared off by the constant denials. Just cause someone is an end-user doesn't mean they're so dumb they can't remeber if the had cydia in Categories folder.
    … Moving on …

If anyone has the new mac mini server updated and can try to reproduce my results than perhaps it's a hardware thing.

To reproduce, follow my steps in this post, but to be truly scientific you'll need the same phone: iPhone 3GS week 37, MC-model (o btw it's old bootrom no tethered JB) 32gB.

Perhaps the info out there that MC-models are post week 40ish isn't correct. As well, "MC" is apparently not directly related to newer bootrom as I've read some places. If ivebeen misledi to thinking this was true I blame the utter confusion amongst all the tutorials out there - and that I blame on peoplegetting stymied trying to share what they can like I am.

If I'm too noobish for you than I don't recommend engaging in a forum with open registration. But good luck getting feedback that way!

Saurik already mentioned that this could be a two-part problem. What most users experience have to do with Rock […]
    wouldn't you say most people here had rock installed? And furthermore wouldn't those with rock tend to be mistake-prone already?

[…] you can check throughout this thread and on other forums. Again, why I say that your problems are not what is in this thread.
    you say they aren't related, and I too fully see how far fetched it is.
    However, with my prediction being correct AND observing a direct correlation EVERY SINGLE TIME… it's hard to ignore a direct correlation - that's bad science - let alone a accurate prediction based on hypothesis (aka near-proof in the absence of an explanation).

Thanks for the blackra1n RC. Link!!!

Thanks dhamien !!!
    Last edited by willeyeam; 2010-05-09 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by spooky655 View Post
    I have the same problem. I updated and now I can't boot my iPod Touch 2G.

Is there a way I can fix this without restoring, by using iRecovery or something similar? (if there is, I don't care how hard it is or how long it takes)

It is with an older firmware, but I believe someone here is able to access the filesystem when in recovery mode:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ract-data.html
    Anyone know if this is possible? I'm holding off a restore until I'm sure there is no other way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone know if this is possible? I'm holding off a restore until I'm sure there is no other way.
    yo would you please try this and report what you find?
    I'm almost certain it will work for you based on the >ten restores I did the last two days.

Launch cydia >
    search for diskdev-cmds >
    when you find it in the list click on it to get to its description page >
    if it says "install" on the button in the top right do so and reboot immediately (seriously I bricked it by installing something else once)
    > OR >
    if it says "modify" hold off on it and come back here with results (this would prove me kinda wrong too)

yo would you please try this and report what you find?
    I'm almost certain it will work for you based on the >ten restores I did the last two days.

Launch cydia >
    search for diskdev-cmds >
    when you find it in the list click on it to get to its description page >
    if it says "install" on the button in the top right do so and reboot immediately (seriously I bricked it by installing something else once)
    > OR >
    if it says "modify" hold off on it and come back here with results (this would prove me kinda wrong too)
    I can't do that, as I cannot boot. I can only enter DFU or recovery mode and be detected by iRecovery.

It looks like something similar was done here:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ooooh my bad! I totally read that as saying "hold off a REBOOT" sorry

yeah sleep is important.

Hope it helps someone! (like me yesterday)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't think so, I've told you that in my case these issues have occurred in tandem each time. Again:

fresh factory 3.1.2 restore >
    [hot JB with blackra1n or redsn0w] >
    fresh JB restore to pwn'd 3.1.2 (pwnagetool 3.1.4&3.1.5) [different users, different ipsw's, & DFU/Recovery/booted] >
    JB'd 4sho, root access with iPhone browser and once I installed spotbright and mobilesubstrate BUT #nocydiaicon >
    Hot JB [redsn0w or blackra1n] >
    CYDIA ICON YAY! >
    update cydia 1st thing [essential and complete] >
    ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK DISKDEV-CMDs! >
    oh look it's been uninstalled, and geez I just rebooted before updating cydia so I know for sure it was installed 3 minutes ago…

can you tell me how this is not a problem with the update ALONE?

and given that there's a direct correlation between #nocydiaicon and #nodiskdevs - for me, every single time - I canthelp but think that while it does seem very unlikely they're related, the numbers are hard to ignore.

Besides, I came to this thread to help with the update issues BEFORE I HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL because as I said I predicted a problem when I saw (/sbin) in the queu. THEN my phone randomly bricked out of the blue, and I had the #nocydia icon bug each time AS WELL as seeing my hunch about #nodiskdevs being 100% accurate in my case.

As I see it, YOU are trying to dodge my points about #nodiskdevs by trying to shut me up about #nocydiaicon. Don't blame me for trying to share my apparently correct predicted hypothesis and the blinding correlation I'm observing over here.

I'm trying to help us find answers. Too many people (notnamingnames) want to say "no that's not it" but when venture my neck to offer an idea you just wanna scoff me? No wonder you don't know what's causing #nocydiaicon since 2.1 - anyone who says it's not because "they had categories hiding and restored from backup" probably gets shunted (like this) or scared off by the constant denials. Just cause someone is an end-user doesn't mean they're so dumb they can't remeber if the had cydia in Categories folder.
    … Moving on …

If anyone has the new mac mini server updated and can try to reproduce my results than perhaps it's a hardware thing.

To reproduce, follow my steps in this post, but to be truly scientific you'll need the same phone: iPhone 3GS week 37, MC-model (o btw it's old bootrom no tethered JB) 32gB.

Perhaps the info out there that MC-models are post week 40ish isn't correct. As well, "MC" is apparently not directly related to newer bootrom as I've read some places. If ivebeen misledi to thinking this was true I blame the utter confusion amongst all the tutorials out there - and that I blame on peoplegetting stymied trying to share what they can like I am.

If I'm too noobish for you than I don't recommend engaging in a forum with open registration. But good luck getting feedback that way!

wouldn't you say most people here had rock installed? And furthermore wouldn't those with rock tend to be mistake-prone already?

you say they aren't related, and I too fully see how far fetched it is.
    However, with my prediction being correct AND observing a direct correlation EVERY SINGLE TIME… it's hard to ignore a direct correlation - that's bad science - let alone a accurate prediction based on hypothesis (aka near-proof in the absence of an explanation).

Thanks for the blackra1n RC. Link!!!

Thanks dhamien !!!
    Relax with the long-winded posts. This isn't a forum duel. If you have points, make them short and to the ... well, you know what I mean.

Have you tried just restoring to a stock firmware and jailbreaking with spirit/blackra1n/redsn0w? What were the problems you experienced with each of those jailbreak tools?

My point about Cydia icon was that if you already have problems at that point, it's likely that there's something entirely wrong with the firmwares you use. If you use blackra1n to get Cydia on the CFW, then that can cause problems. If you use redsn0w to install Cydia and do it the wrong way, that can cause problems.

About the MC thing, it's not so much that users are 'stymied' (had to look that one up) from posting, but instead that everyone will post about stuff they don't know much about. Most, if not all, long-time posters know that MC doesn't tell anything about bootrom, and they will try to teach people but when there's constantly new people, who don't know, still claim that it's an indicator of something useful, they will just give up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Relax with the long-winded posts. This isn't a forum duel. If you have points, make them short and to the ... well, you know what I mean.
    agreed
    Have you tried just restoring to a stock firmware and jailbreaking with spirit/blackra1n/redsn0w? What were the problems you experienced with each of those jailbreak tools?
    yeah that totally works. I'm just not gonna roll with that because I'm gonna be on the road for about two and a half months and taxing my iphone to the max. Pwnagetool is way more stable (well, once you get it right) and setting my root partition to 1024mB has always made me feel safer.
    Come to think about it, once or twice blackra1n totally F417'D, solid white screen or false "success." Blacksn0w is similarly buggy, and I'm not glad that the OBVIOUS wifi and network issues caused by Blacksn0w were totally denied by GeoHot, until someone else patched it without his consent and now he's sanctioning it. He's good - really good - but like this #nodiskdevs and #nocydiaicon (yeah, I'm indexer-jamming with those) thing it sux when pride means the community won't get support because the issue will not be recognized.

My point about Cydia icon was that if you already have problems at that point, it's likely that there's something entirely wrong with the firmwares you use. If you use blackra1n to get Cydia on the CFW, then that can cause problems. If you use redsn0w to install Cydia and do it the wrong way, that can cause problems.
    yeah that's a good point. I did indeed question that and re-downloaded the ipsw from apple. I didn't re-download the pwnagetools i have (which have moved from one machine to another and been chmod'd and had their names appended with their version #s). I will def try that today.
    I did try blackra1n on the restored-pwn'd-ipsw (CFW). there was no way i was gonna go with that. yeah i had cydia, but it was already F417.
    right now my phone is working on a 3.1.2 CFW, not activated, 1024 root partition, no pwnagetool pkgs, restored on top of a unpwn'd factory default ipsw 3.1.2. There was no cydia, so I redsn0w'd it with "Install Cydia" and "Already Pwn'd" only (which removed my custom boot/recovery logo) and i clicked "no" when it asked about the bootrom/MC/week#.
    I could always get to root with iPhone Explorer, and cydia was there everytime. I have no clue why it would never show. i even preloaded spotbright and mobilesubsrtate which worked, even though mobileterminal wouldn't launch and #nocydiaicon.
    As well (see, it's relevant, see) whenever i used redsn0w or blackra1n to install cydia on a CFW, i ran the updates just oput of diligence. Each time, there was diskdev-cmds installed before the update (obviously, it could boot and give me root access) and after the updates (before rebooting) i had to install it (not reinstall!). and note once i installed blacksn0w without rebooting after installing diskdevcmds, which got me in a recovery loop ie bricked2me)

About the MC thing, it's not so much that users are 'stymied' (had to look that one up) from posting, but instead that everyone will post about stuff they don't know much about. Most, if not all, long-time posters know that MC doesn't tell anything about bootrom, and they will try to teach people but when there's constantly new people, who don't know, still claim that it's an indicator of something useful, they will just give up.
    true true, but information has a trickle down, game-of-telephone manner to it. if this is a source of info, it's best scrutinized. then let those who do get it reblog it and make their ad money spreading good info. if MC means nothing, a more detailed description should be available easily to those who want to click "learn more". Same goes for #nocydiaicon and #nodiskdevs (ok that's getting abusive).

Quote Originally Posted by loffyg View Post
    I had the same happen to me and had to restore my phone but havent updated cydia since because i do not want that to happen again..is there a known fox for this yet?? Step by step instructions would be great
    I'm trying to get told I'm wrong and a ****** or that this works for others as well as it worked for me:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my advice cannot hurt anyone,
    but will save those who would have the #nodiskdevs issue. Again:

Run last week's Cydia update >
    DO NOT REBOOT >
    DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING >
    ONLY GO STRAIGHT BACK INTO CYDIA >
    Double check that diskdev-cmds is installed >
    [If not, INSTALL DISKDEV-CMDS] >
    REBOOT IMMEDIATELY UPON VERIFYING THAT DISKDEV-CMDS is installed,
    and I reccomend a full shutdown (slide to power off) and powerup.
    can I get an Amen? Yes? No? [it worked for me]
    I'd like to know before i try again with new pwnagetools, so i don't dig my hole deeper.
    Last edited by willeyeam; 2010-05-09 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Autosplurged Overpost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Curious, have you let the reboot fail anytime? You say you went into Cydia and saw diskdev wasn't installed and that you had to, not reinstall, but install them before boot. Question is, have you let the phone fail at any time? Rebooting and seeing what happens.

I agree on pwnagetool being much, much better and safer than the various jailbreak tools once you have a working CFW. I prefer having that as well. I was just curious if you'd tried running redsn0w or blackra1n on a stock firmware and then updating Cydia. Letting the phone reboot without having done anything other than clicking the update button.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Curious, have you let the reboot fail anytime? You say you went into Cydia and saw diskdev wasn't installed and that you had to, not reinstall, but install them before boot. Question is, have you let the phone fail at any time?
    no, and not going to. Reread what Saurik has posted on this. the phone cannot boot without diskdev-cmds. Apparently it'll get bricked, boot-loop. not worth it. the fact that it gets uninstalled every single time is enough for me. isn't that what this thread is about?

try it on your $900 phone? haha! You think it won't be a fail?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been reading the post and there are a few solutions (?) but i want to be 100% sure before trying..

1 - Reinstalling (not updating) Cydia from Rock...
    2 - Manually copying /sbin files
    3 - Reinstalling "Diskdev-cmd" from Cydia as told by "willeyeam" (although i checked and cydia indicates that i do have that package installed)

...i fear to run out of battery and to restore the whole thing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by houser1978 View Post
    3 - Reinstalling "Diskdev-cmd" from Cydia as told by "willeyeam" (although i checked and cydia indicates that i do have that package installed)
    well, It's my guess that you'll be fine, if diskdev-cmds really is the contents of /sbin right?

this also means there's likey something else secondary to the update that clears /sbin, SHATTERING my theory that the update is responsible.

I say do no more, just reboot (maybe wanna backup in itunes if you still can).
    I would think it might be safer to not install anything else or run any JailBreak Apps, but that was a problem i had when diskdev-cmds had disappeared and been installed again manually and I hadn't rebooted yet.

I think you probably have NO problems, and maybe don't even need to do anything. a reboot wouldn't hurt in that case.

true, I want to find out if your phone crashes
    So I recommend waiting for another opinion

I'd like to know before i try again with new pwnagetools, so i don't dig my hole deeper.
    well i went for it. #ihazcydiaicon DOH!
    Thanks to dhamien !!

Lesson: dont rename, copy and copy, chmod or whatever your pwnagetool.app (totally overlooked that 'til dhamien mentioned corrupt ipsw's.
    actually, another factor was this time in the Finder I copied and pasted the boot logos into the folder with the brand new pwnagetool and ipsw, perhaps the permissions on them was wrong? Still thanks to Dhamien for that tip.

now lemme run the cydia update:
    chose Hacker + Command Line >
    hmm 3 "failed to fetches off the bat @ repo.smxy.org/… dismissed >
    selected complete upgrade >
    ballsy just confirmed the install (thought about refreshing the sources again first) >
    notice an error in the verbose mode:
    "
    Code:
    dpkg: ste: dependency problems, but removing as you request: cydia-sources depends on ste: however: package ste is the be removed
    " >
    pressed the button to restart Cydia >
    going straight to Manage > Packages > #NODISKDEVS >
    just to appease, I've looked at the list in "simple" and "expert modes" - still not there >
    going to "search," found diskdev-cmds, description says "install" at top-right >
    installed diskdev-cmds, pressed "Return to Cydia >
    [oh geez!] Gonna "Slide to Power Down" [pray with me now] >
    pressed the power button, custom boot logo !! >
    oooo and i didn't even finish my sentence is booted that fast …

THANK YOU DHAMIEN and everyone else for putting up with me

I chose setup as a new phone (cause i had cydia in a categories folder and it'll be gone again).
    let's just try blacksn0w before i call it a day, hmmm?
    … installing … reloaded … waiting for commcenter … BLAM
    wifi AND carrier logo … safari is good on wifi … youtube too …gotta wait for an answer on push tho y'all … but everything seems FLAWLESS

Thank you guys.
    Last edited by willeyeam; 2010-05-10 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have the same problem. I updated and now I can't boot my iPod Touch 2G.

Is there a way I can fix this without restoring, by using iRecovery or something similar? (if there is, I don't care how hard it is or how long it takes)

It is with an older firmware, but I believe someone here is able to access the filesystem when in recovery mode:
    Shouldn't it be possible to fix my iPod without restoring?

My understanding is the problem stopping my iPod from booting is because of incorrectly installed dependencies of cydia. I'm able to run a jailbreak program, which installs cydia and required dependencies. Shouldn't I then be able to correct the installation from recovery mode?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm able to run a jailbreak program, which installs cydia and required dependencies. Shouldn't I then be able to correct the installation from recovery mode?
    wouldn't you r jailbreak program, redsn0w or blackra1n (or what, i've never JB'd an ipod - rockbox back in the day tho), just do the trick, if it will run like you say? they don't restore the phone, so you shouldn't lose you data.

If you haz success, you should still recover your data (by anything BUT a backup in itunes) and then restore to a custom ipsw from the appropriate pwnagetool - or whathazyou.

wouldn't you r jailbreak program, redsn0w or blackra1n (or what, i've never JB'd an ipod - rockbox back in the day tho), just do the trick, if it will run like you say? they don't restore the phone, so you shouldn't lose you data.

If you haz success, you should still recover your data (by anything BUT a backup in itunes) and then restore to a custom ipsw from the appropriate pwnagetool - or whathazyou.
    I tried running redsn0w and check off "Already Pwned" and "Install Cydia". After the process, my iPod still cannot boot.

This may be happening for a few reasons I can think of:

1. "Already Pwned" stops from installing cydia completely. (I haven't tried without it because I'm not sure if it restores or not)

2. It won't install cydia when a newer version is already installed.

3. It doesn't have permissions to overwrite the cydia files that are already there.

4. The newer cydia have different dependencies that are not fixed when trying to install an older cydia. (This may actually be very likely since I remember my iPod installing extra dependencies when I was trying to update it)

Can anyone rule any of these out? Or, if you knows what the problem is, could you tell me how to get around it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

no, and not going to. Reread what Saurik has posted on this. the phone cannot boot without diskdev-cmds. Apparently it'll get bricked, boot-loop. not worth it. the fact that it gets uninstalled every single time is enough for me. isn't that what this thread is about?

try it on your $900 phone? haha! You think it won't be a fail?
    Under no circumstances would your phone actually get bricked. You'd always be able to restore. Since you've restored so many times, it shouldn't be a problem.

No, the thread is about people not being able to boot because they have problems with their phones. You don't have that.

No offense, but if you haven't actually experienced any issues, I don't see why anyone should listen to you at all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Under no circumstances would your phone actually get bricked. You'd always be able to restore. Since you've restored so many times, it shouldn't be a problem.
    except i need it to work, not be stuck in recovery for another two days.

No, the thread is about people not being able to boot because they have problems with their phones. You don't have that.

No offense, but if you haven't actually experienced any issues, I don't see why anyone should listen to you at all.
    Listen ****** bag you've been a punk enough now. what are you, like 14 yrs old?
    I came to this forum because i was concerned about the update.
    people here were having issues with it as I was afraid. I tried to help them (thank you very much, you *****).
    then, lo and behold, my phone WOULD NOT BOOT UP OUT OF THE BLUE. that's an issue (god i want to smack you).
    Then I had the same issue with the diskdevs.
    WHY DON"T YOU RESTORE YOUR PHONE AND TRY TO REPRODUCE THE ERROR, instead of talking ****.

thanks for your advice previously, even though i still figured it out alone and basically wasted time here trying to explain to you what i wrote over and over and apparently you have a 3rd grade reading comprehension.

C'mon! Gimme that perm ban!! no one here but this punk wrote anything, and now after i thank him he starts talking ****? Thank your god you don't live in my town.

Exclamation Perfect Fix
    Okay, perfect fix w/ flawless reboot:

Grab:
    • http://www.metalabyss.com/iphone/usr.sbin.zip
    • http://www.metalabyss.com/iphone/bin.zip

(Ex: wget http://www.metalabyss.com/iphone/bin.zip while ssh'd into ~/ folder)

Commands:
    `unzip usr.sbin.zip && cp -i usr.sbin/* /usr/sbin/`
    `unzip bin.zip && cp -i bin/* /bin/`

You might want to chmod nvram: `chmod 555 /usr/sbin/nvram` (you could scale down the perms if that bothers you so it's not world x)

While you're still logged in as root (you did `ssh [email protected]_phone` right?) run:
    aptitude update
    aptitude dist-upgrade

And it should update flawlessly. If it did, feel free to reboot with the command `reboot` or do it the way you feel best doing it. I also had a glance at my /bin, /sbin and /usr/sbin permissions to be sure things were executable properly. I have it set to show as green so it is a quick glance for me in `ls` or you can use `ls -l` to get the more verbose permissions... if you don't know what all of this stuff is, please be sure to research each command first........ :P

Good luck! No probs on my end whatsoever, but obviously your mileage may vary if you have other issues going on. I just typed the above from memory without copying and pasting from the shell so don't hate me if I have a typo; but everything looks right. Hopefully this helps.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast