Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Updates

I can't believe I installed the updates yesterday. My phone is so unstable right now
    Exactly, been waiting for a fix since the updates. My phone just up and shut itself off this a.m. and had to do a reset to get it back to life!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The way I fixed it was thru the app Terminal... If you guys are not familar with a unix/linux/bsd based OS then this will be a little more difficult for you. What I did was replaced the missing files comparing them with the image of the folder. (I put them up on ( Index of /iphone )) I then set the correct permissions per file (using chmod) and then re-installed the cydia update. Rebooted and it is fine and in 100% working order. Hope this helps you guys.

Default This works...
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyderth View Post
    you are going to be missing a handful of files in /sbin and about 9 files from /usr/sbin

here's some ziped dir's from a working iphone Index of /iphone

I think I found all the files I need, going to attempt a reboot soon :
    Get the above files... Cheers to the uploader!!

Quote Originally Posted by Un-Nefer View Post

1. Download these zip files and extract them
    2. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iPhoneBrowser (or whatever allows you to browser/edit/replace files on your iPhone)
    3. In iPhoneBrowser, navigate to the relevant directories on your iPhone and open them - they will open in the right windowpane of iPhoneBrowser - then copy the files you are missing from the relevant extracted zip file to your iPhone by selecting and dragging from your file explorer to the correct directory in iPhoneBrowser
    4. Once all the files are copied to the correct directories on your iPhone, SEE BELOW 4a. DON'T REBOOT YET!
    5. On your iPhone, open Cydia app and when it pops up the upgrade options, choose the "upgrade all" option
    6. The upgrade will now work without errors and once complete you'll be good to go

Follow all of Un-Nefers instructions - up to 4.

When you copy the files across to your iPhone don't replace any files that are already there, just add the ones that are missing.

You can easily do this with any FTP program. I used Filezilla by selecting all the unzipped files for example in /sbin then dropping them into the same directory on the iPhone. When you get asked if you want to replace all files select - NO. Then only missing files are copied.

This the key:

4a. After you've added the missing files set their FILE PERMISSIONS to 755 before you reboot your iPhone. To find the newly added files quickly just sort by date modified.

This worked for me first time with a 3GS on 3.1.2 - took about 5 mins.

PS Saurik - people are not screwed at all if they follow these simple instructions (although that is a stretch too far for some I admit).

PPS Saurik - only reason I used ROCK was due to its fast boot up times and ALSO the fact that I can backup a list of all my apps and reinstall them all super quickly. Now that Cydia matches ROCK speed wise could you also implement some sort of backup solution like ROCKS so I can get rid of that piece of **** for good?

Anyway thanks for those who posted the files and steps to solve this and massive thanks to Saurik for Cydia all his other excellent work - specially SHSH blob caching.
    Last edited by giblet; 2010-05-07 at 02:52 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to giblet For This Useful Post:

MinuteDreamer (2010-05-30)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by giblet View Post
    PPS Saurik - only reason I used ROCK was due to its fast boot up times and ALSO the fact that I can backup a list of all my apps and reinstall them all super quickly. Now that Cydia matches ROCK speed wise could you also implement some sort of backup solution like ROCKS so I can get rid of that piece of **** for good?
    Don't know if you know already, but you can use pkgbackup, it has the same function as what Rock does. It's $3.49 but at least you won't need Rock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default sources
    hey guys, i had the same problem with the missing file. i was installing an application from cydia and it made me reboot my iphone. i didnt know that i had that problem until i saw my iphone not siwtching on. i look over the internet and i saw this forum. of course im a member but i didnt see the topic. now i had to upgrade to 3.1.3 and then i used spirit. it worked, i see everything is working properly with the execption of the sources. i try to add sources, starts downloading, but almost at the end it gets stuck and does not finish. i have waited for almost 10 mins. but does not finish the installation of the source. does anyone know what can i do about it i would appreciate the help thanks!!

Hope this isn't too much of a noob question. I can follow all of chevyderth's and Un-Nefers' instructions, but I'm not sure about setting the file permissions. It looks like I will have to install iCommander or similar package to be able to set permissions. Will I be able to install iCommander after copying the missing files and doing the upgrade, but BEFORE doing a reboot? Alternatively, can I reset permissions from within Cyberduck or iPhonebrowser?

Thanks for all the advice!

I have the same problem. I updated and now I can't boot my iPod Touch 2G.

Is there a way I can fix this without restoring, by using iRecovery or something similar? (if there is, I don't care how hard it is or how long it takes)

It is with an older firmware, but I believe someone here is able to access the filesystem when in recovery mode:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ract-data.html
    Last edited by spooky655; 2010-05-08 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks

Like everyone else i updated in cydia and then it tried to respring but jammed instead... so hard rested the phone and now it just boots up to the apple logo..if you leave it for a few mins it does give you access to the phone with i-fun box .. will try the fix from above and see how i get on..the only problem is that it i get about 2 mins in the phones file system then it reboots... so will have to go in and do the repair before it reboots and hope that works .

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok in this thread it is talked about updating diskdev-cmds package!

I cannot find this in Cydia, but I can find this in Rock, just rather do it from Cydia but what is it listed under!

can this work on ipod touch 3g 32g?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"whats the benefits of using spirit and 3.1.3 rather than doing the restore that I did yesterday with 3.1.2 and my shsh on file and blackrain?"

the difference is the baseband is updated when you update to factory 3.1.3 (w/o pwnagetool's baseband update bypass feature). This is only relevant if you want to unlock. You might also, as ever, consider the resale value. - just for the posterity of this thread I thought that should be added.

Ya wille. For that purpose I restored with 3.1.2. I want to sell it later on and buy the new iPhone when I'm eligible in sept.

Btw how I fixed this for me was I restored and jailbroke. Then loaded only cydia and did all the essential updates. Then loaded rock and dd the backup of all those apps and phone works fine now.

I have the same problem. I updated and now I can't boot my iPod Touch 2G.

Is there a way I can fix this without restoring, by using iRecovery or something similar? (if there is, I don't care how hard it is or how long it takes)

It is with an older firmware, but I believe someone here is able to access the filesystem when in recovery mode:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...ract-data.html

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i've been twitterring the beegeesees out of Saurik about this.
    I've been having a nightmare with no cydia icon after restoring to a pwn'd 3.1.2.
    the phone gets jailbroken, and i can prepkg pwnagetool to get some things (spotbright only so far, failed mobileterminal) installed and that worked, but still no cydia icon. then i have to run blackra1n or redsn0w on my already pwn'd 3GS just to get cydia's icon.

what's relevant here is EACH TIME i launch cydia and perform the update, i check to see if diskdev-cmds is installed and it isn't. i installed it myself then in cydia and that seems to work.

SO MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL DISKDEVS AFTER UPDATING CYDIA

I don't know why Saurik refuses to admit that this is happening without rock or having manually removed anything.

Plus, as I'm writing this i installed blacksn0w, and it looks like it un-jailbroke my phone!
    after installing, cydia was refreshing and the screen froze, now it's rebooting with the normal apple, and i had a custom logo on there.

Can anyone help me with these problems? I've been helping on here all week, can i get some L0V3

Quote Originally Posted by spooky655 View Post
    have you tried iPhoneBrowser (iPhoneExplorer on mac)? you may be able to add the missing files to /sbin. I'm not really familiar enough to say for sure, just a guess

ARRRGGGHHH now my iphone won't boot up!!!! staring at the apple logo over here. can't get into recovery mode, only DFU. this looks like the #nodiskdevs issue, but i reinstalled it myself! that's worked everyother time, this must be related to blacksn0w.

i want to try adding categories to my ipsw in pwnagetool. Hopefully i can then unhide cydia if it's hidden again.

Can someone tell me what the dependencies are? what else do i need to install with it? and in what order?
    Last edited by willeyeam; 2010-05-08 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by willeyeam View Post
    have you tried iPhoneBrowser (iPhoneExplorer on mac)? you may be able to add the missing files to /sbin. I'm not really familiar enough to say for sure, just a guess
    Unfortunately, iPhoneBrowser doesn't work, since I can only get into DFU or recovery mode.

ARRRGGGHHH now my iphone won't boot up!!!! staring at the apple logo over here. can't get into recovery mode, only DFU.
    To get into recovery mode, try these steps:

1. Plug iPhone into USB port.
    2. Make sure it's in a state where the apple logo is showing up for at least a couple seconds when you turn the power on. If it's not (it's in DFU mode), hold the power and home buttons at the same time for about 10 seconds, release, then power on to test.
    3. Hold Power and Home button. The apple logo should come up if it isn't on the screen already.
    4. When apple logo disappears, release ONLY the power button.
    Continue to hold the home button until the iTunes recovery
    screen comes up on your iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooky655 View Post
    To get into recovery mode, try these steps:
    yeah that's not working.
    plus those aren't the normal instructions, they sound like DFU mode.
    normally, i think it's:
    1. unplug from usb
    2. launch iTunes
    3. power off phone (while unplugged)
    4. hold down home button for 5 seconds
    5. continue holding and plug in usb
    6. continue holding until recovery logo

only DFU works for me, but itunes can't find the update server (saurik's server).
    without the host redirection to saurik's server, i think apple will refuse to allow the 3.1.2 install, to force 3.1.3. but as far as i can tell, that's not unlockable even if i preserve the baseband. is this true? why won't blacksn0w work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the same happen to me and had to restore my phone but havent updated cydia since because i do not want that to happen again..is there a known fox for this yet?? Step by step instructions would be great

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i've been twitterring the beegeesees out of Saurik about this.
    I've been having a nightmare with no cydia icon after restoring to a pwn'd 3.1.2.
    the phone gets jailbroken, and i can prepkg pwnagetool to get some things (spotbright only so far, failed mobileterminal) installed and that worked, but still no cydia icon. then i have to run blackra1n or redsn0w on my already pwn'd 3GS just to get cydia's icon.

what's relevant here is EACH TIME i launch cydia and perform the update, i check to see if diskdev-cmds is installed and it isn't. i installed it myself then in cydia and that seems to work.

SO MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL DISKDEVS AFTER UPDATING CYDIA

I don't know why Saurik refuses to admit that this is happening without rock or having manually removed anything.

Plus, as I'm writing this i installed blacksn0w, and it looks like it un-jailbroke my phone!
    after installing, cydia was refreshing and the screen froze, now it's rebooting with the normal apple, and i had a custom logo on there.

Can anyone help me with these problems? I've been helping on here all week, can i get some L0V3

ARRRGGGHHH now my iphone won't boot up!!!! staring at the apple logo over here. can't get into recovery mode, only DFU. this looks like the #nodiskdevs issue, but i reinstalled it myself! that's worked everyother time, this must be related to blacksn0w.

i want to try adding categories to my ipsw in pwnagetool. Hopefully i can then unhide cydia if it's hidden again.

Can someone tell me what the dependencies are? what else do i need to install with it? and in what order?
    What you're experiencing has nothing to do with what's going on in this thread.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    What you're experiencing has nothing to do with what's going on in this thread.
    well, that's not so helpful. would you know the thread that's better?

anyways, it seems there may be a connection. these update issues with cydia happened simultaneously to my phone bricking, and each problem has made the other worse. I've been restoring for two days, right now I'm looking at a brick in DFU mode and I can't get iTunes to allow restoring to 3.1.2.

so, perhaps my problems getting cydia's icon to show up has something to do with the fact that diskdev-cmds is removed. can you tell me speifcally why there is no connection?

if you could I'd imagine you 'd know why i get no cydia icon? or better, how i can get cydia to show up?
    tried restrictions trick, installing an app trick, etc etc. i can get in with iphonebrowser/iphoneexplorer so is there anything i can do with that?

anyway, the answer to the problems in this thread is:
    let cydia run it's update, it will then relaunch cydia.
    DO NOT REBOOT
    IMMEDIATELY install diskdev-cmds via cydia (please note here in the thread whether it was installed or not at this point)

This has worked for me each time (as it has happened every time)

what killed my phone this time seems to be blacksn0w.

so now I've helped, can you help me?

i just need my iphone unlocked. there are conflictin report online about 3.1.3. i still have 5.07.11 baseband. can i upgrade to a pwn'd 3.1.3, preservbe my baseband, and use blacksn0w?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by giblet View Post
    Get the above files... Cheers to the uploader!!

Follow all of Un-Nefers instructions - up to 4.

When you copy the files across to your iPhone don't replace any files that are already there, just add the ones that are missing.

You can easily do this with any FTP program. I used Filezilla by selecting all the unzipped files for example in /sbin then dropping them into the same directory on the iPhone. When you get asked if you want to replace all files select - NO. Then only missing files are copied.

This the key:

4a. After you've added the missing files set their FILE PERMISSIONS to 755 before you reboot your iPhone. To find the newly added files quickly just sort by date modified.

This worked for me first time with a 3GS on 3.1.2 - took about 5 mins.

PS Saurik - people are not screwed at all if they follow these simple instructions (although that is a stretch too far for some I admit).

Anyway thanks for those who posted the files and steps to solve this and massive thanks to Saurik for Cydia all his other excellent work - specially SHSH blob caching.
    This worked for me (3g/3.1.3). I am kind of a novice at Iphone mods and was able to figure it out fairly quickly. Took about ten minutes and worked the frist time I did it. I did not set the permissions to 755 as I was unsure how and to lazy to figure it out. Phone is now running great, still to chicken to reboot. Innitally install the updated with Rock and was missing the following:

bin: more, ping, and ps
    sbin: ping (had FM and VM extra, did not remove them)
    user.sbin: nmbd, smbd, nvram, and sshd (My folder had a securekeyvaultd.s5l8920x, but the last part was different. Also did not remove.)

hope this info helps and thanks for the great post.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast