Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Updates

Ya man.
    I had the bootup issue yesterday and restored.

I then got the cydia update (not knowing that caused my issue yesterday) and got the same error. so i googled it and found that this was the reason.

So i noticed the files were missing and was going to replace the files it self but in ifile i accidently overwrote the bin folder w/ the new one. now i hang on apple logo.

I dont think its possible to update files while the phone is in recover mode. correct me if im wrong someone. You will save me alot of time.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    UPDATE: Ive managed to obtain all my photos from a backup made a few days ago. I did not sync with iPhoto but iTunes keeps a backup of the photos in its backup file! See my post here for details:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iph...kup-files.html

SandyB

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    Me the idiot , i accidentally copied the entire bin and overwrote it with the new files up top. word to the wise dont do what I did. Unless you want to stare at a silver apple logo all day.
    ANY files you do copy off the zip will not be executable - you have to do a chmod on anything you copy off the tar....

That is most likely why your phone wont boot now......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dxe For This Useful Post:

aimetti (2010-05-05)

ah gotcha so the bin folder I replaced doesnt have the permissions eh?
    is it possible at all to get to the folder structure to set the 777 ?

or do i have to restore everything again lol.

This time around i did a current backup of all apps and such so it shouldnt be to bad but would much rather not have to do it.

ah gotcha so the bin folder I replaced doesnt have the permissions eh?
    is it possible at all to get to the folder structure to set the 777 ?

or do i have to restore everything again lol.

This time around i did a current backup of all apps and such so it shouldnt be to bad but would much rather not have to do it.
    Just ssh into the phone and do it...

777 should work - not sure if any of the files in there had the sticky bit set or anything.... I believe earlier in this thread someone posted what the permissions should look like

how would one ssh to it if the iphone is stuck at the apple logo? possibly in dfu mode or something?

how would one ssh to it if the iphone is stuck at the apple logo? possibly in dfu mode or something?
    Nope - you would have had to fix the permissions BEFORE you tried to reboot - now you have an OS that wont boot because some of the executables havebad permissions......

hah nice so restore it is.

SO whats the general consensus around here.

At this point if one restores completely , jailbreaks, loads just cydia , they should be able to run the update?

hah nice so restore it is.

SO whats the general consensus around here.

At this point if one restores completely , jailbreaks, loads just cydia , they should be able to run the update?
    If I had to restore - I would do a clean upgrade to 3.1.3 then JB with Spirit and restore all my packages (I use pkgbackup).

Cydia only for me from now on.....

whats the benefits of using spirit and 3.1.3 rather than doing the restore that I did yesterday with 3.1.2 and my shsh on file and blackrain?

I will try out the pkgbackup too (thx for that) i used to use the rock one but i think i will hold off on using it too.

whats the benefits of using spirit and 3.1.3 rather than doing the restore that I did yesterday with 3.1.2 and my shsh on file and blackrain?

I will try out the pkgbackup too (thx for that) i used to use the rock one but i think i will hold off on using it too.
    If you have to do it - you might as well us the most current apple build....

true true , thx for the help dxe , much appreciated.

ill try it tonight.

OK, I realize I had botched long before I had even relized I had... I did see those packages getting deleted, and I simply thought "Well, they must be being replaced..." I had believed that Rock WAS an Apt-get based installer, and I couldn't imagine them screwing up like that... But those are bad excuses. I'm here now, and I can't boot up my phone.

Now that I have accepted the problem, I have another: I just got my mac back from my mother-in-law, and so my phone hasn't been backed up in a few weeks... There are pics and contacts on there that I would prefer not to lose (It's not the end of the world if I do, but I want to exhaust every possibility before I restore using iTunes...).

SO my question is this, and maybe Saurik or someone can answer for me... Is there any way to use the tools that power Redsn0w to install the default Apple kernel and file tree? I don't need the jailbreak to backup my pics and my contacts... I just need it to boot. So I IMAGINE that the tools used by the Dev-Team are capable of doing a custom install... One where we install the pieces of the Apple IPSW that we need to boot...

Then I will backup my pics and contacts, restore to 3.1.2, Blackra1n JB and start over... I want it clean anyway, I just don't want to loose anything in the process

It worked fine for me, but it didn't fix the Error Refreshing Data.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saurik View Post
    There is going to be a giant treatise, complete with log outputs of Rock showing it, step by step, doing the wrong thing with these packages (so bad that dpkg screams out in pain trying to convince the person calling it that they are doing something wrong, not that Rock cares, of course), that is going to be posted here sometime in the next day.

That said, there could totally be multiple problems: the people who tried the upgrade with Rock are definitely 100% screwed, and that is not the fault of the upgrade. So far there sounds to be a large number of these people. Meanwhile, I've found maybe four people, total, who have experienced this issue and were not using Rock.

I therefore feel rather confident that we are dealing with two issues. It seems all nice and tidy to think there must be one underlying bug, but that's way too simple, especially when the non-Rock users are in such a tiny minority and we have clear-cut evidence of a Rock bug.

So, can you tell me: did you ever uninstall the system-cmds or diskdev-cmds package? The former comes with Cydia, and the latter is an Essential package that comes as an upgrade. If you have ever previously removed either of these two packages, you were already screwed, and this new firmware-sbin package is going to fail to install.

(Which is an important point: firmware-sbin failing to install is just an indicator that you are already screwed. That package itself is not causing any of the issues anyone is experiencing: that is because, somehow, the packages diskdev-cmds and/or system-cmds were uninstalled or upgrade in the wrong order relative to firmare-sbin.)
    I've never messed with either package

Quote Originally Posted by Un-Nefer View Post
    Hi everyone.

This error happened to me too. Basically I saw that Rock had updates and just proceeded to update without checking what was being updated. Long story short, it seems that doing this update/upgrade via Rock deletes some of your bin/sbin files for whatever reason and that then causes the updates/upgrade to fail as outlined in this thread.

I'm not going to get into a debate about which is better, Rock or Cydia, but rather point out that thanks to chevyderth, I was able to correct the problem and update/upgrade without further errors.

Thank you so much for this. For anyone else experiencing problems mentioned in this thread, these files are all you need.

1. Download these zip files and extract them
    2. Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iPhoneBrowser (or whatever allows you to browser/edit/replace files on your iPhone)
    3. In iPhoneBrowser, navigate to the relevant directories on your iPhone and open them - they will open in the right windowpane of iPhoneBrowser - then copy the files you are missing from the relevant extracted zip file to your iPhone by selecting and dragging from your file explorer to the correct directory in iPhoneBrowser
    4. Once all the files are copied to the correct directories on your iPhone, close iPhoneBrowser
    5. On your iPhone, open Cydia app and when it pops up the upgrade options, choose the "upgrade all" option
    6. The upgrade will now work without errors and once complete you'll be good to go

Edit: If you use Rock, after the update/upgrade in Cydia, Rock will still list that updates are available on the app icon (on your springboard). But once you click the Rock app and open it, it will refresh and realise the updates/upgrades have already been done and all will be back to normal.

This worked for me on my jb 3G 8gb iPhone (Model: MB489x - Baseband: 05.12.01).

Thanks again to chevyderth for providing the required files.

Cheers
    Nef.
    Worked for me to, on my iPod Touch 1g even though the files are from the iPhone. (very few are different between the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post
    My problem since the update is with the "Changes" button in the bottombar. Whenever i tap it Cydia freezes, every thing else works fine (SBSettings drops fine, QuickDo apears with no lag)....it's like it's taking longer to load that page, wich never happend before....and it allways happedns when I first tap it, after it loads the whole list everything works fine. And the other buttons from the bar all work fine, not showing any lag or delay. It's kinda stressfull!!!! Hope a new update comes soon!
    same problem here. very frustrating
    [original iPhone with 3.1.2]

I can't believe I installed the updates yesterday. My phone is so unstable right now. Running out of battery life because I'm rebooting so often.

So frustrated...

Is there a fix in cydia for this?

can't reinstall diskdev-cmds. iPhone keeps dying whenever I select reinstall
    Last edited by shizzabrick; 2010-05-06 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think i have the same problem on my 3gs. I was
    able to get past the firmware/bin issue using rock actually. Now cydia shows 3 updates available but wont get past the iconsupport install because i already have it. Also it is prompting an install from safari download, which i already have, and a removal of **********. The updates it shows are smusic, sbsettings and sbsettingstoggles. These updates do not show as updates in rock however. Would reinstalling cydia using rock be a bad idea?

How do we fix this? I don't see a fix in this thread.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast