Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New jailbroke..where are my apps

Default New jailbroke..where are my apps
    I am not gettting something here. I have 3.1 unfortunately. 3g iphone. Macbookpro for syncing.
    I used to tether using Mobileconfigs...with the help of Benm website. My son who has a 3gs has no inet connection so he uses his a lot. I just did it outa curiosity. Well I lost it with 3.1. So I jailbroke machine using Pwnage. everything looks good. But I reallly dont play games, Im not a developer, what do I need Jailbrk for if it cant tether?
    I tried to install a few things....imagemagick...no icon..where is it? Some battleship app but it just looks like a piece of graph paper...is that it? Then vlc app, which seems fine but how do you use it? The folders are empty? I downloaded some stuff but it aint there. The itunes dir of course have those wierd files..ZXCV.mp3 etc. The only thing I have is some videos that I made with the cyvideo thing, which worked great. Also my battery level app is nowhere. Am I doing this right? Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Jailbreaking means something different to every user. Some people like the freedom of using themes with Winterboard...some people like to be able to manage their music/movies/apps without the use of iTunes...some people like that there are no restrictions to developers as to what app can and can't be put on the phone.

There are many reasons to jailbreak. I will never have a stock phone as long as the ability to jailbreak continues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

whatsamattaU (2009-10-01)

Default Jailbreaking 101
    Thanx Capt. I had a concern that I was loading up my iphone with mov files, but found how to get rid of them anyway.(Using edit in vlcplayer) Is there any windows style file manager ? I looked but saw a lotta shells that are outa my field of expertise, if ya knowahtImEAN.
    i Still have 3.1. Like a trusting macophile I dowqnload every upgrade that is sent my way. Im learning. Im really not thrilled with SNow leaopard.(one of the few I guess,I get a lotta crashes)I thought I would be able to tether if I jailbroke. Im OK, but my son has a 3gs, and I wanted to figure it out just in case Apple/ATT started to demand it. I tried the modem app, but it says..you gotta have 3.01 as did every other app. IF I choose to return to warm fuzzy land again....restore should do it huh? Im gonna play with this for awhile tho. Thanx again.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

A windows style file manager for OSX? I think people always bring up Cyberduck for Mac users to transfer files to and from their phones. I am a Windows 7 user so I use iPhonetunnel Suite. I think you can downgrade your 3G(not 3GS) back to 3.0.1 and then get your tethering back.

I run the 3GS so I was fortunate enough to jailbreak 3.0.1 before Apple made it impossible to go back

You have a Mac. Do a little reading up on Pwnage Tool. It is a powerful piece of software that I wish Windows had a version of. You can create custom firmwares with it etc.