Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BigBoss beta repo

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default BigBoss beta repo
    Ok so upon browsing my repos today I noticed that the BigBoss beta repo was removed. I went to his site and found the reason why,and it seems like a pretty valid reason.

My little brother,whom I introduced jailbreaking to,bricked his phone with the recent update of Catagories and LibHide.So he restored and its all normal again (unjailbroken)..Guess he should have understood that what Beta means is exactly what BB said...the program COULD be unstable.Now he didnt complain about the program itself causing him to restore,he was just unhappy that hes got to redo everything again,which im sure he will.The only thing he told me was "Be careful updating Libhide and Catagories" as it cause him problems.

Anyway my question is this.I use catagories and have since I first found out it existed..With the removal of the beta repo,I no longer see it at all when I search..

Was this app hosted ONLY on the beta repo?
    Last edited by Tower72; 2009-09-07 at 01:13 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Exactly!
    and while BB goes on his hissy fit we are left without. Nope, not anywhere else.

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

Thanks

He shouldnt have had to remove this repo because a few incomps decided to ***** and whine about their phones being messed up.Everything,from redsn0w to apps on the app store have the ability to mess up someones phone.

Its end user responsiblilty to understand this.Those are put up there for all of us to enjoy,and thanks to whines and gripes from some people,we all feel the repercussions..

Ill admit,im not a debugger.I dont know squat about programming,or fixing bugs..But I do have the common sense to know what I posted about above,and I also know that BETA means theres a chance it WILL be buggy.If something bricks my phone,ill research it to see if theres a fix,and move on.

Another thing that bugs me about this is what he posted here :
    The result of all this is that a bunch of end users have installed my latest beta updates intended for beta testers only. Due to that, I now have had Saurik release an update of the bigboss repository that conflicts with the beta repository. This will uninstall the beta repository from everyone when they upgrade the main source

I use the All Sources repo,and ive not had a problem yet.But if something is in beta,and its on this repo,is it really so hard to name it something like CatagoriesBeta while its a work in progress? That way when one loads up Cydia and checks for updates,the name difference(with just the added word Beta)prevents it from listing as a viable update when its still a "work in progress".Then when its ready for release,remove the beta at the end and let people go nuts with updating.Everyone I know that used Catagories has not mentioned any issues with it,so why its in "beta" is beyond me
    Last edited by Tower72; 2009-09-07 at 01:21 PM.

I downloaded the bigboss update and now Cydia crashes! What the heck!

Fix?

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Naw man - really just annoyed. I would have no life w/o BigBoss. Lol. I am also very meticulous and his apps are crazy for organizational nuts like me. However, as a business owner I understand what it's like to work on something forever with the promise of future deals or some other long term gain, not
    immediate compensation, and have an ungrateful client complain. You see red! But if I say 'alright no more' b/c of this one idiot client, I have not stopped the possibility of any business! That's stupid and not fair. When my phone bricked, I simply googled for a fix. I got one. It worked and I'm now on his 2.0.2 which is all I could ever ask for! Easy. I even had to google how to install a .deb file. But I did.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Categories is and ALWAYS was in his regular repo. Only the experimental/BETA versions of Categories and Libhide were loaded in the BEAT repo. As of this morning though these new versions were transferred to the public repo as they are now stable. I totally agree with BB decision as 99% of users are not equipped to be testers.

Thanks

well it didnt show up when it was searched,so maybe the repo had issues at the time I searched but ill look again.

And why i also agree that alot of the people are not "equipped" to be testers (like myself),I dont exactly whine about things when they brick my phone.Its still fun to keep trying the "latest" thing on the block. If it bricks,ya live and learn and dont reinstall until next version