Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How safe is cydia? do they charge for apps? plz help

Default How safe is cydia? do they charge for apps? plz help
    hi, i recently got my first iphone (3gs) and i jailbroke it hassle free, i currently have my credit card details on my itunes account for buying apps from the legit store, is there anyway the cydia store could access my credit card details and take money without me knowing? im just worried some of the apps i downloaded via cydia could have charged me or if im logged into the apple store and im searching the cydia store they can access my credit card details?

Thanks

Cydia won't take any money unless you tell them to!

I'd keep an eye on your Grandmother though - Saurik is known for that. (jk)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing on Cydia that will charge you are the things in the Cydia Store, billing is linked to an Amazon account, but only if YOU fill out the billing info.

Otherwise its perfectly safe.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

it's safe! and if theres any money involved its for a donation.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iguy View Post
    i'd keep an eye on your grandmother though - saurik is known for that. (jk)
    lmao

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderwolf333 View Post
    it's safe! and if theres any money involved its for a donation.
    or the few apps/themes that actually cost money

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Cydia Store FTW!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (2009-08-12)

Default Cydia Safety Issues
    Hi, i see all you guys saying Cydia is safe, but do you really know this? Cydia saves your ECID, if you give them permission, they say its so they can restore your OS if you accidentally upgrade and break their jailbreak. Now they also run software in your phone, which could have (im not saying it does) keylogging software hidden within it. So Cydia have your ECID and the potential to steal your iTunes password if they like, which gives them the potential to hijack your itunes account and your credit info. Now you all say its 'safe' but anything that gives somebody this power i do not consider safe.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Um...I dont think Cydia is made to go around stealing info. Its perfectly safe, Ive been jailbroken for 2 years now and never had a problem. If youre paranoid, perhaps you shouldnt jailbreak...

Quote Originally Posted by OziGuy View Post
    Hi, i see all you guys saying Cydia is safe, but do you really know this? Cydia saves your ECID, if you give them permission, they say its so they can restore your OS if you accidentally upgrade and break their jailbreak. Now they also run software in your phone, which could have (im not saying it does) keylogging software hidden within it. So Cydia have your ECID and the potential to steal your iTunes password if they like, which gives them the potential to hijack your itunes account and your credit info. Now you all say its 'safe' but anything that gives somebody this power i do not consider safe.
    You are not required to have Cydia save your info, that is a choice. And any app that gets downloaded from anywhere can have keylogging info hidden in it, even the ones in the App store. If Cydia, Jay Freeman, was out to get everyone's info he would already have it and be gone.

Thanks

Oh now saurik is after your iTunes account....how does that sound? He has been in this for sometime and hasn't effed anyone over...now I talk about cydia only...not any app u install afterwards from cydia that steals your info

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    Oh now saurik is after your iTunes account....how does that sound? He has been in this for sometime and hasn't effed anyone over...now I talk about cydia only...not any app u install afterwards from cydia that steals your info
    Good point

...you see i never post before here..,but im on here everyday (mostly more the 4 times a day..) why? because im suck with iphone and i learn alot from here. just like you i really skeptical about online and hacking stuff...
    for some reason this person name saurik and (alot more) i like this person!!! WHY??? BECAUSE THEY ******* SAVE YOU MONEY!!!! DO SOME MATH AND READ THERE FEEDBACK BEFORE ASK SOME STUPID QUESTION...
    sorry but it kidda hurt when you helping ppls out and some just dont know and cant appreciate there work....
    ps to the admi and MMI forum: sorry for the inappropriate language...

Think of it this way.

If it was unsafe, this would be very bad for business. HIS business.
    I have never heard of anyone getting their credit card info or identity stolen from jailbreaking their iPhone.

My 2 cents..take it how you want.

Latest Project: iEvo HD4 TrueHD iPhone4 theme. ~~~ Click Donate to support my theme's!

Maybe you should stay off the Internet mr paranoid. The Internet a far worse place than cydia could ever be. He had been around for 2 years and well trusted guy

Here is another point to consider. What about the "scandal" a month or two back where people got their iTunes account hacked into? I mean iTunes, how in the world did Apple let iTunes accounts get infiltrated and have people's accounts emptied on "bogus" books that were put up there by a dev? And that is not the first time that has happened, but it is one of the more public occurences.
    Read this from Engadget http://http://www.engadget.com/2010/...ms-said-fraud/

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OziGuy View Post
    First I am not saying Saurik or his people would do anything wrong with any info they might have on peoples iphone.

But one must realize that most ID thefts are from somebody working in large financial institutions, social security, hostpitals, and other retirement funds. Nothing is really safe!

Now on the Cydia side I lost money on my update to my Iphone 4. I think Saurik has fixed the problem other the some of us refund but this is just a hobby anyway.

I still use Cydia and also Rock and have donated to several people who take donations and yes I receive free themes every once in a while.

But if you feel you need more security you can use paypal and you don't have to let paypal keep your cc information.

You know the next time you bend over to put money in the can for the guy play the musical insturment his buddy could be walking by and pick your pocket.

Nothing is truly safe but yea I trust Cydia.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Cydia=awesome iPhones/iPods/iPads

No Cydia=boring, crippled Apple product

Up to you if you wanna trust Cydia or not. Ive never had a problem with Cydia. Just Rock, lol...

i just wanna add to this, even tho its way over the point.

think of it like this:
    i worked for tmobile. i had access to credit cards evvvveryday.
    you had no issue putting it in for itunes, so im sure you have it linked to other things, xbox etc? theres a MILLION possible ways for someone to jack your stuff, and they havent. i do not know anything about saurik personally, other than he is the robin hood of devices, and its somewhat offensive to the community to have someone ask if hes a theif. if youre scared...dont use it. plain and simple.

hehe guess not! :P
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-02-24 at 07:30 AM.

Exclamation what about repos
    do repos charge money if u add their source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast