Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia help for novice

Default Cydia help for novice
    I have just installed Cydia on my 3Gs and all seems OK in that I can see and search on Packages.

I saw reference to SBSettings on iClarified and installed it fine.

How do I run apps that have been installed from Cydia as Icons are not created on the SpringBoard?

Is there an idiots guide to Cydia that can be recommended?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Explain, what apps? What is it that your trying to do?

SBSettings dosent come with an icon as you know. To open it up, swipe your status bar on the top of your iPhone...

Not sure where I am going wrong, I installed SBSettings and seemed to istall without errors, however when I swipe my finger accross status bar nothing happens.

- How can I tell if SBSettings is installed OK?
    - Does the phone have to be in a certain state to run SBSettings?
    - Is there an online idiots guide to Cydia?
    - Can you recommend an app that I can test, then tell me the steps to install and run, so I can prove Cydia is working OK?

Sorry but I need to help to get going, once I know the basics I will be OK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mapworld View Post
    Not sure where I am going wrong, I installed SBSettings and seemed to istall without errors, however when I swipe my finger accross status bar nothing happens.

- How can I tell if SBSettings is installed OK?
    - Does the phone have to be in a certain state to run SBSettings?
    - Is there an online idiots guide to Cydia?
    - Can you recommend an app that I can test, then tell me the steps to install and run, so I can prove Cydia is working OK?

Sorry but I need to help to get going, once I know the basics I will be OK
    A little clarification, SBSettings (SBS) is one of the few apps that do not have an icon. Most others will, again one of the exceptions are plugins to SBS.

The way to tell if it's installed is to swipe across the top bar on your phone. That will open it and it will slide down your screen.

SBS can be run when you're phone is is at your springboard. There's a setting to have it open even on your lock screen too.

There is no guide to Cydia that I know of.

To test an app, try downloading Cycorder. It's a video recording app. Once you install it, it should be on your springboard. If it's not, reboot your phone.

Thanks soulthoughts,

I downloaded Cycorder and the icon is on my Springboard, however it will not run, even after a reboot.

In view SBSettings will not run and Cycorder will not run, do I need to install something extra on my phone after Cydia to enable inauthoriswed apps to run?

Seems funny neither app will run, what can I check?

.... or should I just go to iTunes and restore my phone and then Jailbreak my phone again and reinstall Cydia?