Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do i have to re-buy the Cydia apps if i were to restore my Iphone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Talking Do i have to re-buy the Cydia apps if i were to restore my Iphone
    Hi, it mite be a Silly question, if i were to buy a Cydia App and then after couple of days latter if i restore my iphone and then re-jailbreak it, would i have to re-purchase the App or it will be like Apple App store that Cydia will remember my iphone's Id and will let my re-install the App again for free

Replies would be appericated

cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Most apps you purchase email you a serial number or activation key that you should have kept on file. Which apps are you referring to specifically?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i am trying to buy cydia featured apps like call Block etc i had it on trial but not sure if to buy, because every couple of months i have to restore my iphone due to problems with cydia etc. App store does let you re-download them again and again cos they know you already have paid for the apps.

thanks for your reply though

cheers

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Most apps you purchase email you a serial number or activation key that you should have kept on file. Which apps are you referring to specifically?
    i have problems with information on file on my new i4
    payit apps from my 3g works 90% screendimmer ok etccc
    this ones pkgbackup firewallip sborginizer not i payit with paypal on my 3g

Greetz Mark

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I have bought several apps on Cydia and Rock and have never had a key or any registration info sent to me by email!

That would be great and I think the best way as you could install when you change phones!

I have a 3gs with several apps on it and I am wanting to transfer the purchases to my Iphone 4 and even if you sign in the repo tells you that you have to email Saurik to resolve this!

Its a real bummer as I think it will be a long time before Saurik replies back!

I guess I will have to go to Rock and purchase the app Pkgbackup so I can restore my previous backup I had with 3gs!

They should be a better way than this but you learn with time!

I have always said Support it the backbone of any company!

Ive just moved from a 3G to an iPhone 4. All of the apps I purchased in Cydia are prompting me to re-purchase them. Very disappointing. Ive emailed Saurik about it but I doubt I will get a reply given how busy he is.

On the other hand, all I had to do with Rock was log in with my RockID and everything I purchased is available to download.

And to echo Area51's comment - I have only received one license key for an app purchased. That was Intelliscreen, and its the one app I purchased through Rock that I am not going to have problems recovering. Figures.

Edit - I had a saved package list in RockApp from my previous phone (since I used the same RockID). I tried restoring the packages I had purchased and it doesnt work. Not that I thought it should, but I thought I would give it a shot and report back.

Edit 2 - I just did some more searching on the forums. You dont need to repurchase. You just need to link your device to cydia. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to try and buy something. So, pick the cheapest app you have already purchased and go through the motions of re-purchasing it. It will ask you to link your device (either via google or FB). Make sure you do this with the same log in info you used the first time. Once you link the device it will tell you that the purchase was successful and show the original purchase date. Once that is done you can install that app and all of the other ones youve purchased with that log in info.
    Last edited by ProjectGSX; 2010-08-05 at 09:54 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectGSX View Post
    Ive just moved from a 3G to an iPhone 4. All of the apps I purchased in Cydia are prompting me to re-purchase them. Very disappointing. Ive emailed Saurik about it but I doubt I will get a reply given how busy he is.

On the other hand, all I had to do with Rock was log in with my RockID and everything I purchased is available to download.

And to echo Area51's comment - I have only received one license key for an app purchased. That was Intelliscreen, and its the one app I purchased through Rock that I am not going to have problems recovering. Figures.

Edit - I had a saved package list in RockApp from my previous phone (since I used the same RockID). I tried restoring the packages I had purchased and it doesnt work. Not that I thought it should, but I thought I would give it a shot and report back.

Edit 2 - I just did some more searching on the forums. You dont need to repurchase. You just need to link your device to cydia. Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to try and buy something. So, pick the cheapest app you have already purchased and go through the motions of re-purchasing it. It will ask you to link your device (either via google or FB). Make sure you do this with the same log in info you used the first time. Once you link the device it will tell you that the purchase was successful and show the original purchase date. Once that is done you can install that app and all of the other ones youve purchased with that log in info.
    Sad thing for me is I have boutght PKGBacup 3 times and when I tried to use it could not find the backup and I can see 3 of them in my contacts!

Emailed the DEV and he sent a link to his support page on how to resolve by changing the name of the contact but it didn't work!

I would use Rock all of the time but some dev's only use Cydia, which after all this I am sure that will change!

Always said it you going to do something do it right and if you are not going to do it right don't do it!

A lot of people are going to make a lot of money out of this!