Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stffwiz/PwnCenter All Sources

Default Stffwiz/PwnCenter All Sources
    The All Sources package will not install... It says on the main page "404 - Not Found"

If anyone knows how to get all the sources a different way that would be awesome or if anyone knows how to fix this it would be great.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Kauz View Post
    The All Sources package will not install... It says on the main page "404 - Not Found"

If anyone knows how to get all the sources a different way that would be awesome or if anyone knows how to fix this it would be great.

Thanks.

I found that installing it through Cydia was a waste of time. It will install through apt or aptitude if your command line fu can handle it. You also need access to a wireless network. Obviously, when entering commands in command line, don't type the quotes.

1. You are going to need the following packages installed, they are all available from the default repositories.
    a) OpenSSH
    b) Either apt or aptitude, there are several versions of apt, I installed 0.7 with https

2. SSH into your phone. You need command line access, so you can't use WinSCP or CyberDuck. Use either putty for Windows, or terminal for *nix or Mac OS X. Usage 'ssh root@(your phone's wifi IP)' where the password is 'alpine' unless you've changed it. (If you haven't, you should. Run passwd from a command line.)
    a) Your phone's wifi IP should be something like 192.168.1.100. Don't type the parentheses.

3. Depending on which you installed (apt or aptitude), run either 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update' from the command line just to make sure you are up to date.

4. After the above command is completed, install the All Sources package by running 'apt-get install com.steffwiz.allsources' or 'aptitude install com.steffwiz.allsources'.

5. Then run another 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update' You should be good to go. The update might give you some crap about wanting to uninstall all the sources you just installed because the packages are no longer needed, but Cydia won't uninstall them if you stick to that, at least not in my experience.

The issue is that, at least as far as I can tell, the All Sources package doesn't actually install anything itself, it simply makes use of the dependency capabilities of debian package management and forces the package manager to install all the other sources, while not writing any actual files for the All Sources package itself. Cydia doesn't like that, and doesn't install the dependencies if the original package doesn't install. You might want to take that up with Steffwiz and/or PwnCenter.

If you have any problems, let me know.
    Last edited by diablo_man5666; 2009-07-15 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typo

I noticed a few minutes ago that I had a bunch of updates in cydia, all from PwnCenter and they wont update, I get the same error that the OP gets. I'm just guessing that the repo is down right now
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

Quote Originally Posted by nickswagger View Post
    I noticed a few minutes ago that I had a bunch of updates in cydia, all from PwnCenter and they wont update, I get the same error that the OP gets. I'm just guessing that the repo is down right now
    Well, if you got connected to the repo enough to get a new package list....unless something is really wrong with their servers....you should be able to get the updates.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Installing all sources is a waste since 95% of them are foreign language support.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Installing all sources is a waste since 95% of them are foreign language support.
    That is also true. The only reason I installed it is Cydia didn't used to have the queuing function, so installing a bunch of sources was a waste of time, having to do a full source refresh every time.

^^ i've been trying to do the updates for a while, its gotta be their servers because i had a list of 12 updates and 9 of them are from pwncenter and those are the only ones i get errors on
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

Quote Originally Posted by nickswagger View Post
    ^^ i've been trying to do the updates for a while, its gotta be their servers because i had a list of 12 updates and 9 of them are from pwncenter and those are the only ones i get errors on
    The list of updates comes from each individual repo, you can't get the list without connecting to the repo. But something is probably wrong on their end.

Quote Originally Posted by diablo_man5666 View Post
    I found that installing it through Cydia was a waste of time. It will install through apt or aptitude if your command line fu can handle it. You also need access to a wireless network. Obviously, when entering commands in command line, don't type the quotes.

1. You are going to need the following packages installed, they are all available from the default repositories.
    a) OpenSSH
    b) Either apt or aptitude, there are several versions of apt, I installed 0.7 with https

2. SSH into your phone. You need command line access, so you can't use WinSCP or CyberDuck. Use either putty for Windows, or terminal for *nix or Mac OS X. Usage 'ssh root@(your phone's wifi IP)' where the password is 'alpine' unless you've changed it. (If you haven't, you should. Run passwd from a command line.)
    a) Your phone's wifi IP should be something like 192.168.1.100. Don't type the parentheses.

3. Depending on which you installed (apt or aptitude), run either 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update' from the command line just to make sure you are up to date.

4. After the above command is completed, install the All Sources package by running 'apt-get install com.steffwiz.allsources' or 'aptitude install com.steffwiz.allsources'.

5. Then run another 'apt-get update' or 'aptitude update' You should be good to go. The update might give you some crap about wanting to uninstall all the sources you just installed because the packages are no longer needed, but Cydia won't uninstall them if you stick to that, at least not in my experience.

The issue is that, at least as far as I can tell, the All Sources package doesn't actually install anything itself, it simply makes use of the dependency capabilities of debian package management and forces the package manager to install all the other sources, while not writing any actual files for the All Sources package itself. Cydia doesn't like that, and doesn't install the dependencies if the original package doesn't install. You might want to take that up with Steffwiz and/or PwnCenter.

THANKS MAN! It worked like a charm. I owe you one for sure. But on step 5 I ran the aptitude update again and it said "FATAL -> Failed to Fork"

What does this mean??

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Kauz View Post
    THANKS MAN! It worked like a charm. I owe you one for sure. But on step 5 I ran the aptitude update again and it said "FATAL -> Failed to Fork"

What does this mean??
    I'm glad I could help.

There is a simple answer and complex answer. Simply, there wasn't enough memory for aptitude to run successfully. Cydia does some crazy stuff to pull down new package lists without crashing the phone.

Since updating from repositories requires a lot of data to be pulled down, I think aptitude attempts multi-threading, which creates copies of its running processes to access more than one repo at a time. If there isn't enough memory to create the split, it fails. Consider that the 3G only has 128mb of RAM and the 3GS has 256mb.

If you plan on spending time in the command line, I recommend sticking to apt, instead of aptitude, at least on the iPhone. Aptitude is a far more robust package manager. It has a user interface that can be launched by simply entering 'aptitude,' but that is rarely necessary on a mobile platform because of Cydia. However, the only time I ever see the failed to fork error from aptitude is when I do an repo update, the other features are functional. To get a list of command arguments for aptitude (and most *nix commands) simply add '--help' after the command. So...'aptitude --help' will list all the options and usage and whatnot.
    Last edited by diablo_man5666; 2009-07-15 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by diablo_man5666 View Post

a) OpenSSH

Hi i updated my iphone to 3.1.3 after i downgraded to 3.1.2 and rejailbroke my device i cant install all sources it keeps tellin me key expired and failed to fetch http://apt.pwncenter.com/./release.gpg posix:connection refused along with others. I tried the above method (great tut thanx) but that returns the same errors. has any one got any ideas that could help me please