Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fed up with Cydia...

Default Fed up with Cydia...
    Ok, so Cydia is crap with 3.0, for the last 3 Friday's in a row, Cydia decides for no apparent reason, not to launch anymore.
    It wont write a log file, so I still have no clue why... so i'm done with it.

The rest of my phone, apps, and jailbreak apps all work fine, so i'm not going to do A FOURTH full restore (in 3 weeks) this time.
    NONE of the tricks work to get it going again, and I know ALL of em! There's obviously no dev support/feedback in this forum... not a peep from Saurik in 3 weeks regarding this wide-spread issue, and no upgrade/fix.

So, how about its time for a Cydia desktop app? Which will install apps, themes, show updates, etc.... Like an iTunes for jailbreakers... this could even incorporate a desperately needed avenue to provide a backup/restore method... that would be FANTASTIC!

The already existing "Cydia online" built into modmyi.com is a helluva head-start!!

How bout it Jay?
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

i would rather mr saurik concentrate on getting winterboard to work for 3gs, but beggers cant be choosers...
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Since no one else is complaining of this problem how can you be sure it is entirely Cydia at fault here?

EDIT: I see widespread in your post. I'm not going to search around for people complaining about Cydia not working and besides if something is "widespread" then I shouldn't have to look. I should be seeing threads all over the place about it not working.

Oh and as a "backup/restore method" there's aptbackup. I'm not sure if it is working on 3.0 yet though.
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 2009-07-04 at 11:25 PM.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

cydia has been updated about 5 times the past 3 weeks with stability and compatibility fixes.... think you might of missed them?
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm running 3.0 on my 3G and have had no problems with Cydia since my update and J/B.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'm running 3.0 on my 3G and have had no problems with Cydia since my update and J/B.
    ^^+1 Cydia on my iPhone 3G on 3.0 has been working flawlessly also. My 3G S on the other hand has some minor issues that are really just apps that need to be updated but cydia has been all good for me.
    160GB iPod Classic
    8GB 2G - Firmware 2.2.1 PWN'D
    8GB 3G - Firmware 3.0 PWN'D
    16GB 3G S - Firmware 3.0 Ra1n'n Purple
    64GB iPad 3G - Spirit'd
    32GB iPhone 4

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Seeing as I have Cydia on my first gen and my 3GS, I think we've got that covered. It even feels snappier on my first gen than it used to. I'm sure that's because it is on a fresh OS though but still no problems whatsoever with it.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    cydia has been updated about 5 times the past 3 weeks with stability and compatibility fixes.... think you might of missed them?
    That's true. When installed 3.0 and tap Cydia pop up appeared saying 4 updates needed to work with 3.0. After that updates no problem at all...

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyest View Post
    Ok, so Cydia is crap with 3.0, for the last 3 Friday's in a row, Cydia decides for no apparent reason, not to launch anymore.
    It wont write a log file, so I still have no clue why... so i'm done with it.

The rest of my phone, apps, and jailbreak apps all work fine, so i'm not going to do A FOURTH full restore (in 3 weeks) this time.
    NONE of the tricks work to get it going again, and I know ALL of em! There's obviously no dev support/feedback in this forum... not a peep from Saurik in 3 weeks regarding this wide-spread issue, and no upgrade/fix.

So, how about its time for a Cydia desktop app? Which will install apps, themes, show updates, etc.... Like an iTunes for jailbreakers... this could even incorporate a desperately needed avenue to provide a backup/restore method... that would be FANTASTIC!

The already existing "Cydia online" built into modmyi.com is a helluva head-start!!

How bout it Jay?
    Well mate you must doing something wrong...Saurik made Cydia from scratch again to work with 3.0, so when install/reinstall taping Cydia pop up arrear saying 4 essential updates available to work with 3.0 and READ what is there...
    Last edited by rexton270; 2009-07-05 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

First of all... i'm NO novice at this stuff, but i'm no dev either. I do consider myself a highly advanced and skilled "iPhone hacker".
    If you look through the Cydia Support section, you'll find MANY people who have had the same problem.
    "Cydia wont launch anymore?" (started by me the FIRST time it happened)
    "Cydia crashes" is another one.. and there is 1 or 2 others.

A week ago, I posted my thoughts on what I thought may be causing it... all theories were shot down by people who seemed to know their stuff.

I DID get the Cydia updates last week, there were 2, not 5. I had ZERO problems with Cydia in 2.x, it was rock solid and ran for a year without a hitch. I can still update Cydia and all my Cydia apps with Terminal... icy and Rock work flawlessly while Cydia keeps self-destructing.

And before you start raging on me about having Cydia & Icy installed at the same time.. YES, you can... if you know what you're doing... and I do.

For all you folks who say "I have Cydia on 3.0 and it works fine"... well, mine worked fine too... for 6 whole days!
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!