Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Package Detail Screen Hijacked?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Cydia Package Detail Screen Hijacked?
    When checking out the Changes tab in Cydia, I clicked on one of the new themes to see details. It loaded the detail page, but after ~10 seconds the screen refreshed to what looks like a parked domain (LookXML.com). I backed out and clicked on another theme and it immediately loaded the same screen. Same thing for a third theme. I took a screenie, went to Camera Roll, then back to Cydia.

This time I had an update to the Earth Moon Lockscreen theme, so I applied it. Then I clicked on another theme in the list. It loaded the details page, I clicked on Screenshot, and it then loaded a Bing.com search results page for "cell phones".

WTF? It seems like Cydia got hijacked. But no one else is reporting this. So I would guess it is something I installed... or something in my very large "I'm too dumb to find it" category...

UPDATE: Removed Earth Moon Lockscreen. Removed iPhone Modem by Addition. Checked numerous packages on Cydia. No more hijacked screens.

Now, I doubt iPhone Modem by Addition was it. It's a well known app, and I've had it on my OS2 iPhone as well as OS3, never a problem with Cydia. I hate to cast doubt on any app/theme -- so even suspecting Earth Moon Lockscreen may be unreasonable given the complexity of the mass of software on the phone. Could well be something else. Regardless, it seems to be resolved. So maybe someone with the same problem will find this post and can check for commonalities.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mevans567 For This Useful Post:

Kiserai (2009-07-02)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Same Here
    I have noticed this same thing. I don't even have that many packages installed since I backed them up via iPhoneBrowser before the upgrade to 3.0 and just copied them back into my Winterboard folder after I re-installed Cydia. So, Cydia doesn't even know that those ones that I copied manually exist, and they were all UI changes like slider text, SMS bubbles, battery icons and such. Besides all the packages that come pre-installed with Cydia, I have:

SBSettings
    Five Icon Dock
    Jooo Mod (for SBSettings)
    Winterboard and any associated packages that come with it.

That's it. I can't think of how any of these would be re-directing the package description pages. And the OP was right; once a package description gets "hijacked" you can back out and select any other package on Cydia and it will take you back to the same random webpage until you close and restart Cydia. The pages I've been redirected to are anything from 404 pages on tech websites to celebrity gossip webpages. Pretty annoying, especially since I can't get it to happen with any kind of regularity. A lot of times Cydia doesn't even do it, but it's done it enough now that I am becoming pretty annoyed.

I already asked Saurik on Twitter if he is aware of this but I haven't gotten a response yet, if I ever even will. I know he's a busy guy so I'm not holding my breath.

I know we can't be the only ones experiencing this. Speak up and let us know what packages you have installed and what webpages you get redirected to.

Thanks

I am also getting the same went to look at info on a theme package in cydia after a few secs there was a page with some pictures advertising something so I just closed cydia and reopened it again..

i had the myspace homepage come up for some reason, coming up for everything i tried to view.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Had this happen to me again tonight. It went to a blank screen that just said Jump at the very top. Once it happened it went there for every other app I tried to view.

Grrrr...

This is happening to me as well. for all the new "changes" today.
    "New at Jul 7, 2009 10:18:11 AM"

Bluemoon Theme
    iGlass Art Theme
    MemCheck
    Napoleon Soundboard
    Psych Theme
    SwagBucks Ultimate
    Zeus GOW Theme.

and i am sure there is many more.
    if (youTryToBeSmarter)
    {
    i.WillTryToBeNicer();
    }
    //oh here let me translate for you to something that is easier to understand!
    If youTryToBeSmarter Then
    i.WillTryToBeNicer()
    End If

Had it after installing fishbone. Source . Uninstalled and was back to normal

Default Same deal here
    I opened Cydia and upgraded Mobile Substrate, ultrasn0w, and backgrounder to latest versions.

Rebooted.

Then got a spam page on every detail page for every package in Cydia

I do have one of the aforementioned apps - Modem - but that's been there for a long time without a problem.

Whatever the cause, it happened immediately after rebooting the phone. It could have been something that was lying in wait from an earlier package installation I suppose.

Closing and re-opening cydia had no effect.

I rebooted the phone again, and now everything is back to normal.

Obviously, someone has hacked Cydia. That's pretty frightening when you consider the implications beyond spam.
    Last edited by jake32835; 2009-07-16 at 04:00 PM.

I'm having the exact same problem and it is annoying and scary. It only seems to happen to me when I'm on my wifi network at home(AT&T Broadband 2wire). If I use the 3g network then no issues. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I'm having some issues, but not with spam. It seems like it is trying to do what people are describing, but mine simply freezes on a half loaded screen on every package when i go to the more info or screen shot section of a springboard theme preview.

I think I can say it is in the themes section, whatever "it" is.......

Quote Originally Posted by mevans567 View Post
    When checking out the Changes tab in Cydia, I clicked on one of the new themes to see details. It loaded the detail page, but after ~10 seconds the screen refreshed to what looks like a parked domain (LookXML.com). I backed out and clicked on another theme and it immediately loaded the same screen. Same thing for a third theme. I took a screenie, went to Camera Roll, then back to Cydia.

This time I had an update to the Earth Moon Lockscreen theme, so I applied it. Then I clicked on another theme in the list. It loaded the details page, I clicked on Screenshot, and it then loaded a Bing.com search results page for "cell phones".

WTF? It seems like Cydia got hijacked. But no one else is reporting this. So I would guess it is something I installed... or something in my very large "I'm too dumb to find it" category...

UPDATE: Removed Earth Moon Lockscreen. Removed iPhone Modem by Addition. Checked numerous packages on Cydia. No more hijacked screens.

Now, I doubt iPhone Modem by Addition was it. It's a well known app, and I've had it on my OS2 iPhone as well as OS3, never a problem with Cydia. I hate to cast doubt on any app/theme -- so even suspecting Earth Moon Lockscreen may be unreasonable given the complexity of the mass of software on the phone. Could well be something else. Regardless, it seems to be resolved. So maybe someone with the same problem will find this post and can check for commonalities.
    I wrote the "Earth Moon Lockscreen" theme. I would hate to think it was something I did in the program. With over 17,000 downloads and this being my first "Cydia" theme I'm a little pissed about this!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Rcooley617's Avatar
    Thanks

the same thing happen to me as well, as well as now I can't even get into Cydia now, it just crashes.... As everyone else as said somebody must have loaded a virus or something into Cydia, don't know if its possible, but it hella annoying... My theory is jailbreaking & Cydia in very Commercial now and we might have some ppl from apple that is trying to do everything in thier power to stop the jailbreaking and unlocking...It might sound foolish but I wouldn't doubt if there is some apple ppl on this site. Whatever it is I hope Saurik find a solution b/c ever since the release of the GP 3.0 its been Hell!!!!! IF anyone finds a solution to this random load pages please post
    "R-R"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

The SPAM pages are so annoying