Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: "Essential Upgrade" error - can't use Cydia at all!

  1. #1
    Exclamation "Essential Upgrade" error - can't use Cydia at all!
    I just jailbroke my 3G iPhone (running 3.0) for the first time today, and when I try to run Cydia, I get the message that an "Essential Upgrade" is necessary. When I try to install the upgrade, I get the following message:

    "Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

    "dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 26 package 'firmware': duplicate value for user-defined field 'Name' "


    Does anyone know of a possible solution? I jailbroke using redsn0w on Mac OS 10.5.7.
    Last edited by Mongoos150; 2009-06-22 at 01:58 AM.

  2. #2
    I had the very same problem except I jailbroke on Windows XP with Redsn0w. I rebooted the phone and tried again and it seemed to work with a few other errors reported. I was then able to install an app. So we'll see. I'll update this as I find out more. Please do the same.
    Last edited by bob27707; 2009-06-22 at 02:34 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bob27707 For This Useful Post:

    Broesel01 (2009-06-22)

  4. #3
    thx a lot!

    it work now

  5. #4
    Thanks, I actually emailed BigBoss and he told me to restore and re-install, this time without installing Icy.

    I hope it works, I'll keep everyone posted. Also, I really would prefer to use Icy, it's much faster and prettier than Cydia.

    It absolutely worked. Yay
    Last edited by Mongoos150; 2009-06-22 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks
    553
    Thanked 515 Times in 427 Posts

    Icy is not faster for me. I have to manually refresh the sources for new packages to show. Cydia does it automatically so I have been using it.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post
    Thanks, I actually emailed BigBoss and he told me to restore and re-install, this time without installing Icy.

    I hope it works, I'll keep everyone posted. Also, I really would prefer to use Icy, it's much faster and prettier than Cydia.

    It absolutely worked. Yay
    Hi,
    Did you reinstall icy by using Cydia after that?

  8. #7
    not to be a pain, but anyone know a fix that doesn't require re-jailbreaking? it's gonna take me another hour to restore,jailbreak,restore backup.. and I don't have the time now :-(

    I guess I have to survive using Icy for now until i find a solution or find time to jailbreak it again tomorrow

  9. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iMoo View Post
    Hi,
    Did you reinstall icy by using Cydia after that?
    I just reran redsn0w, skipping the restore step, and that worked (installing Cydia, not Icy). But after it was jailbroken, I installed the 2 essential updates to Cydia and that gave me Icy.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cemetary71 For This Useful Post:

    crakky (2009-06-23), ksjohnson09 (2009-06-23)

  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cemetary71 View Post
    I just reran redsn0w, skipping the restore step, and that worked (installing Cydia, not Icy). But after it was jailbroken, I installed the 2 essential updates to Cydia and that gave me Icy.

    Did you lose your backup? Like all the stuff you synced back to your phone since you did not do a restore?

    Will have to try that .. the cydia error is getting annoying

  12. #10
    I've been having the same problems
    -iPhone 3G 3.0 jailbroke w/ redsn0w

    Restoring fresh now will report back...


    ...So far so good, Rejailbroke but did not install icy this time and everything is working fine in Cydia.
    I did like Icy but I can't say I surprised from the lack of development from RipDev!!!
    Last edited by ikmc915; 2009-06-23 at 08:01 PM.

  13. #11
    w00t, BIIIG thanks for the no icy tip... worked great.... I did do a basic update not the full one to cydia afterwards FWIW

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to maphilli14 For This Useful Post:

    bambam724 (2010-04-04)

  15. #12
    Default Error Fix for Cydia on OS 3.0
    Yes, I can confirmed that you must do the following: (To Fix Cydia Update Errors)

    -Restore/Update to Firmware OS v3.0 IPSW
    -Jailbreak via Redsn0w 0.72
    -CHECK ONLY: Cydia (DO NOT Check: Icy)
    -Run & Update Cydia (Essential or Complete Update - No Errors)
    -Install "Ultrasn0w" to unlock v3.0 for (3G iPhone)

    I can confirm this works flawlessly on all (4) of the 3G iPhones I update, jailbreak, unlock, and installed ONLY CYDIA (No Icy) Enjoy !!!

  16. #13
    This seems to work for me:
    1. I installed using redsn0w 0.7.2, both Cydia and Icy.
    2. Found I had the problem of updating Cydia so I found this post
    3. Rerun redsn0w 0.7.2 with Cydia only selected (No Icy)
    4. Now I have both Icy & Cydia!!

    Notice that in between steps 2 & 3 I did NOT restore iPod Touch.

  17. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryo_Ohki2 View Post
    This seems to work for me:
    1. I installed using redsn0w 0.7.2, both Cydia and Icy.
    2. Found I had the problem of updating Cydia so I found this post
    3. Rerun redsn0w 0.7.2 with Cydia only selected (No Icy)
    4. Now I have both Icy & Cydia!!

    Notice that in between steps 2 & 3 I did NOT restore iPod Touch.
    Yep that did the trick

    What restore are they talkinga bout?

  18. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by misskalunji View Post
    Yep that did the trick

    What restore are they talkinga bout?
    I am getting really angry! Just lost all my 3rd party apps etc and all my settings because noone could call me. Restored twice and jailbreaked 5 times.

    Cydia CANNOT UPGRADE ESSENTAILS.

    What to do? tried all tips here.

  19. #16
    If I re-run Redsn0w 0.8 will that delete all of my Cydia apps? Will it get rid of my Winterboard themes?

    I'm having trouble with Cydia and need to re-install it. But I would prefer to not restore. Any feedback would be great.

    tim

  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    If I re-run Redsn0w 0.8 will that delete all of my Cydia apps? Will it get rid of my Winterboard themes?

    I'm having trouble with Cydia and need to re-install it. But I would prefer to not restore. Any feedback would be great.

    tim
    did you find an answer I want to know the same thing!

  21. #18
    Default cydia prob
    I upgraded my cydia on touch 3.1.3 and and my cydia crashed at unpacking libhide and i cant reboot or turn off my touch
    and i used spirit please help

  22. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    112
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    You can always reboot your device by pressing and holding HOME and LOCK for about 20 seconds.

  23. #20
    Cydia keeps notifying updates for cydia installer, libhide, mobile substrate & winterboard but it seems to be stuck in a loop. I upgrade it comes up with error:running code (1) then overwrite sinfuliphone appsync31 error then returns to cydia or respring device but then informs the same upgrade again and again!! Please advise and thanks in advance...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •