Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia wont launch anymore?

thanks man that helped so much! i thought i was doomed

Yeah mine was working fine until today. I updated and cydia crashed and won't start now. Gonna try deleting the update files.

Will the updates come back though??

i updated to 3.0 and had no issues at all until i installed a ringtone package. flashed, rebooted and cydia would open and immediately close since it didn't finish installing the package; i'm guessing this is what deleting the 2 files there gets rid of the unfinished installation.

on 3.0 the apt-get command doesn't work so i used "cd" to change directories ("cd var" for example or "cd ..") to get to the var/lib/dpkg/updates folder.
    "ls" will list the files and directories in the current folder
    "rm ???" will remove ??? for example "rm tmp.i" deletes the tmp.i file in that updates folder

these commands are obvious to a lot of you but people like myself have to find them somewhere

I am new to iPhone and to jailbreaking. Much like the others, I am unable to launch Cydia after having used it for a couple of days and installing several themes, ringtones, etc.

I initially did my jailbreaking on a PC since that's where my iTunes library is, but I thought I would revert back to my MAC if that will help overall.

Is someone willing to explain to me, step by step, how I can access the "browser" and or where to enter "cd" to change the directories? If not, any ideas of where I can get a Jailbreaking/Cydia for dummies manual?

Thanks

Well, I give up... ive had it... congrats to all you guys who had this same problem and were able to fix it simply!

I totally restored my phone as new (3.0) a week ago, spent countless hours getting all my settings and apps back from scratch, been using Cydia all week. Then today, for no apparent reason, i'm back to Cydia refusing to launch again.

I tried to re-redsn0w using 7.2... no dice

I deleted all the Cydia repo files... nada

I opened the cydia.log file... blank

I wanted to try this with mobile terminal:
    apt-get remove cydia
    apt-get install cydia
    But Mobile Terminal wont launch either, loads the default screen then crashes, exactly like Cydia does.

The last thing I just did was re-redsn0w AGAIN, but this time I had it install icy too... and icy works fine and shows all my installed Cydia apps. I think i'll just stick with icy.

I even force-removed and re-installed Cydia with icy, I also reinstalled mobilesubstrate, Cydia and Terminal STILL will not run.

I NEVER thought i'd say this but.... screw Cydia! This is just ridiculous, and nobody seems to be working on anything to resolved it, and if they are, they sure are tight lipped about it!

***UPDATE:
    Suddenly I have a cydia.log file with some content... this is what it says:

dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MessageUI.framework/MessageUI
    Referenced from: /Applications/Cydia.app/Cydia_
    Reason: image not found

I took a look, and this directory doesn't exist. but it DOES exist in /System/Library/Frameworks/
    Anyone have any thoughts about this?

***ANOTHER UPDATE:
    This just keeps getting better!! Now the SBSettings utility wont launch either... the overlay still drops down, and the toggles and dock apps still work, but if I hit the "more" button, it loads the default screen, then crashes (just like Cydia & Terminal). It still worked after Cydia and Terminal stopped working, so apparently my phone's OS is gradually self-destructing. I'm not sure landscape email & text is worth all this BS!!
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 2009-06-28 at 08:39 AM.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper366 View Post
    +1 Thank you! This worked!

I updated to Backgrounder 3.0, and installed BiteSMS and I couldn't launch Cydia anymore. this worked perfectly. Thanks!
    THIS WORKS. I DELETED THE Files at private/var/lib/dpkg/updates. and CYDIA IS WORKING NOW! I am so excited. THANKS!
    Use the "Thank you" option if someone helped you solve your problems!

Migrated from Windows Mobile to iPhone 3G.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iAddict For This Useful Post:

bruinsrme (2009-07-17)

Quote Originally Posted by Aliobaba View Post
    I am new to iPhone and to jailbreaking. Much like the others, I am unable to launch Cydia after having used it for a couple of days and installing several themes, ringtones, etc.

I initially did my jailbreaking on a PC since that's where my iTunes library is, but I thought I would revert back to my MAC if that will help overall.

Is someone willing to explain to me, step by step, how I can access the "browser" and or where to enter "cd" to change the directories? If not, any ideas of where I can get a Jailbreaking/Cydia for dummies manual?

Thanks
    you get into a program called mobile terminal to access the phone and use the "cd" commands and such. it's similar to using DOS on windows

then you use the "cd .." and "cd foldername" to get to the folder you need

Im having the same problem. I tried deleting the files in the updates folder, but it turns out the folder is empty -.- , my cydia still doesn't work.

Hey dudes and dudets I jailbroke my iPhone 3g 3.0 using redsn0w on windows 7 I managed to get openssh and mobile terminal installed
    before my cydia messed up I could always launch it but on ocasion it would randomly crash out I checked /var/lib/dpkg/updates but the folder was empty so I then opened mobile terminal *please note the following can be done via ssh if you do not have mobile terminal* I then run "dpkg --configure -a" this has seemed to slow the crashing majorly I would also recomend installing apt-get just incase so you can still install and update pakages via ssh and mobile terminal using the following commands "apt-get update -y" and "apt-get install com.repo.package -y" other than the minor cydia issue that seems to be semi resolved and a little more lagg than 2.2.1 3.0 is kicking bottom and finally make sure the first thing you do is update cydia hope this helps have fun and stay safe peace

I think I determined what the cause of the problem was... its somehow related to Air Sharing or eWallet.
    When the 3.0 updates were released, and then a 2nd 3.0 update for Air Sharing popped up last saturday, the App Store app error'd (as usual) trying to upgrade it... after that (in both cases) is when my Cydia stopped launching.

If you end up doing a full restore again (like I did), it will probably be in your best interest NOT to let the app store (via your phone) try to update either of those apps. Or any other app that has a desktop utility or wifi sync function associated with it.

To update those types of apps, SSH into your phone and delete the entire app folder and sub directories, then let itunes sync and reinstall it. Then re-sync your personal data back into those apps.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind your theory how would updating something through the app store affect cydia's perfomance ?? Because I don't think the app store uses dpkg but I could be wrong please correct me if thts the case but if the app store did use dpkg then it should have been crashing a whole bunch too and hanging at the load screen but from what I can see is that's not the case my app store app continued to work fine when I was having issues with cydia I am lead to belive that 3.0 firmware is struggling to cope with the extra workload that using dpkg has and that's why in some cases there were temporary files that could be deleted in /var/lib/dpkg/updates and I am pretty certan that I hve not updated the mentioned apps but again I could be wrong because my problem was a little different from the majority here in the way I could still lunch and use cydia the only thing I m having a major issue with ATM is adding my private repo to cydia does any one know if the repo setup has chnged since the new updte??

My Cydia has been working fine for 2 days...now it just goes immediately back to the springboard...I installed Winterboard and SBSettings, not enough time to get SSh installed...Damn!

Used RedSn0w and re-JB it. Looks like 5 icon dock was the prob.
    Last edited by way2fst4u; 2009-07-02 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm just gonna put this out there but I'm almost 100% certan downloading things from cydia /app store is not causing this issue it's a dpkg instability and because cydia uses dpkg to install it's packages if this has problems so will cydia but if you follow the instructions here or inside your cydia log file you will be amazed even if it o ly slows the crashes down it's better than having a jailbroken lump that you can't install packages to

Quote Originally Posted by leroy67 View Post
    I had the exact same problem same log file. I was able to use iphone browser and go to var/lib/dpkg/updates and delete all files in the update folder. Cydia has worked fine since
    Thanks for this post - I had prog fail to install properly and my Cydia wasnt loading - thought I was going to have to start again, but deleting the files in that folder worked a treat.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pepp77 For This Useful Post:

alyelsherbiny (2009-11-09)

Quote Originally Posted by leroy67 View Post
    I had the exact same problem same log file. I was able to use iphone browser and go to var/lib/dpkg/updates and delete all files in the update folder. Cydia has worked fine since
    THANK YOU, LEROY67 ! Your solution is working. I hope it stays this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Julcabalu View Post
    THANK YOU, LEROY67 ! Your solution is working. I hope it stays this way.
    I just started getting this issue. 2 seconds after clicking cydia it shuts down back to home page on my iphone. I have had it jailbroken since the mac release of 3.0...

I hav tryed going into var/lib/dpkg/updates but the folder was already empty..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Could it be due to it having low memory? Try rebooting first before starting Cydia. If you have not done it yet, it may be a good idea using SBSetting and let it show the available RAM at all time on the taskbar. Sometimes we have too many things (email, safari, ipod) all running in the background without us realising it when we start Cydia. It's a good idea to kill off these applications first before using Cydia.

Have tryed that, rebooting does nothing

Strange stuff in deed; both my phone and my g/f's phone won't launch cydia starting today. She has 3G 3.0 and i have 2G 2.2, i haven't upgraded yet. Both of these issues started today and makes me think it might be something on Cydia's side. My 2G has never had a problem with cydia before and i used quickpwn to jailbreak and unlock it.

I will check out that update folder but i doubt it.

Is there a way to contact Jay to see if something is a miss on his end?

Thanks

EDIT:

Just checked the var/lib/dpkg/updates area and there's nothing in it.
    Last edited by jim0068; 2009-07-19 at 06:45 AM.

Thumbs up Cydia not starting (SSH not open, how to fix)
    :-P
    Well, my problem isn't the UPDATES folder, instead it was in the apt/Lists folder, where one file was crashing my Cydia (in thrue Cydia was not starting). Since my hacked iPhone had not SSH enable, i did the follows:
    1 - go to http://www.digidna.net/diskaid/ and installed DiskAid (30 days free trial)
    2 - plug iPhone in USB
    3 - open DiskAid and at the left botton corner choose: RootFolder (next, read the message and click OK)
    4 - navigate to: var/lib/apt/lists where, in my case (again, IN MY CASE), the problem was the following file:
    apt.bigboss.us.com_repofiles_cydia_dists_stable_ma in_binary-iphoneos-arm_Packages
    5 - delete this file or another one if necessary. I detelete one by one until find the problem's one. You do not need to restart your iPhone for this. Just delete the file and try to open Cydia in your iPhone.
    Hugs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast