Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back-up questions

Default Back-up questions
    Okay I have been an avid member for almost 2 years and love this forum.

Now I have a important question to ask of all

With 3.0 comming probably next week what is the best way to back-up our current 3G Iphones, meaning and easy way to update to 3.0 JB when available and then restore items cleanly such as
    Categories
    Cydia APPS
    Screen Layouts
    Etc, Etc

I think the answer would help everyone and look forward to the great suggestions or tutorials from everyone so we can all be ready to backup and restore cleanly and easily our new 3.0 firmware when the JB comes out soon maybe even monday

Thanks all
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

There is the question of unlocking to be answered first. If you are on firmware 2.2.1 with baseband 2.28 unlocked with yellowsn0w there is not an answer yet because the 3.0 firmware will not communicate with the 2.28 baseband.

As for those who just want o jailbreak all the apps will have to be tweaked for 3.0 compatibility so there is no reason to back up any existing apps. You will restore to 3.0 and then jailbreak and manually download all your apps again.

Understood

Thank you

One question, is there an easy way to list all the apps I downloaded via Cydia so that I can keep a list and when ready for 3.0 download

Thanks

Nevermind I found a solution here

# From the console (via SSH, or MobileTerminal), you do (from any folder; I usually do this from the /tmp folder by first doing “cd /tmp”):
    dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt
    This generates a file with the name “selections.txt” (which you may change to whatever you want; you could also put in a name, date, serial number, firmware version or whatever. I prefer to do such things with folder names myself).
    # Use SCP to tranfer the file “selections.txt” to your pc from your iPhone.
    Last edited by dallasnights; 2009-06-05 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Solution found
    ------------------------------

iPhone 4
    4.1 Firmware