Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RDesktop via Cydia

Default RDesktop via Cydia
    Hello all,

I recently installed Cydia, and have been impressed by the number of applications available. One of the first ones I attempted to install was RDesktop, a RDP client used for administering Windows machines. For those who don't know, RDP is a protocol used by Windows 2000/2003/XP/Vista/2008 terminal services/Remote Desktop. Think VNC a la Microsoft. I manage numerous Windows machines, and would love to have a RDP client on my iPhone as it would allow me to do a lot of management tasks.

After installing RDesktop, I noticed that there was no icon added for the application. When I attempt to call the RDesktop application from the command line, I get the error "ERROR: Failed to open display: X.X.X.X" Where the Xes == the ip address of my server. Has anyone had success getting RDesktop working on their iPhone? If so, I'd love a how-to.

Cheers,
    Jason

I've installed it as well, and I've seen that if you just run the rdesktop command (no arguments) from a terminal, that it cant locate libcrypto 0.9.8.

I've run rdesktop on a bunch of different platforms, and it does require that it is run from an X11 environment. Is our terminal an xterm? If not, I haven't seen any apps out there that claim to be...

If it is, how can I fulfill this dependency? I don't see any crypto libs in Cydia

**Bump**

Anyone? ... Anyone?

Bueller? ... Bueller?

This would make my iphone so much more useful If anyone has gotten it working, PLEASE respond.

I can't find any info about the x server.. Maybe once we can get xeyes working, we can talk about rdesktop.

So I guess there isn't a native X server?
    see: http://wickedpsyched.com/iphone/X11/
    Looks like while you can run rdesktop natively on the iPhone, you're still gonna need to send the display somewhere else. Oh well.
    Last edited by yek401; 2008-03-27 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Maaaaybe if-
    Maybe if we make a bluetooth mouse to work on the iphone for remoteDesktop we'd never have to go to work again

Edit: Will consider donating to all who respond to this thread

Yup, I've done this, and it's a hoot :) Here's how.

The iPhone doesn't have a way to display the x-applications (yet), but it can run them, and you can view/use them on another computer. I'm using a Mac as the computer that displays the apps in this example.

On the Mac:

Open up an xterm, then type:

sudo xhost +iphonenamehere

This adds the iphone to the white list, and allows it to connect to your Mac display.

ssh into your iphone with the -Y switch

i.e. ssh -Y [email protected]

default password is alpine

On the iPhone: (this is in the SSH session from the Mac)

export DISPLAY=192.168.1.11:0.0 (change IP address to whatever yours happens to be)

then run your x-apps, i.e.

rdesktop -a 16 -z -r disk:floppy=/var/root/ ipaddressorcomputername:port

xeyes -display 192.168.1.11:0.0

crazy stuff :)
    Last edited by vinividiiphone; 2008-07-23 at 08:19 PM.

How would i go about doing this on a PC? Also moca VNC works great but the screen refresh is a slow. was there anyothre remote desktop apps that 1.1.4 had that could be ported to 2.0?

the short answer to that is with an x-server on your pc, and (mostly) the method described above.

i can confirm that it works with Cygwin/X. There are other X-Servers to choose from, ymmv.

i found the major pita to be the display authentication. i haven't discovered how to add the iphone to the xhost list under cygwin (anyone?.) the docs say xhost +, i've also tried:

xhost +iphonenameoripaddress and xhost iphonenameoripaddress

to no avail.

I finally used the undocumented (apparently) -ac switch when starting the X-server, i.e. Xwin -ac to circumvent authentication. Not my preference, but it works.

I'll try to flesh this out as people have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by vinividiiphone View Post
    the short answer to that is with an x-server on your pc, and (mostly) the method described above.

i can confirm that it works with Cygwin/X. There are other X-Servers to choose from, ymmv.

i found the major pita to be the display authentication. i haven't discovered how to add the iphone to the xhost list under cygwin (anyone?.) the docs say xhost +, i've also tried:

xhost +iphonenameoripaddress and xhost iphonenameoripaddress

to no avail.

I finally used the undocumented (apparently) -ac switch when starting the X-server, i.e. Xwin -ac to circumvent authentication. Not my preference, but it works.

I'll try to flesh this out as people have questions.
    you have to start X first, then xhost + works. so,

startx
    <wait for xterm>
    xhost +
    ssh iPhone
    export DISPLAY=192.168.1.yourIP:0
    xeyes

Now I know that rdesktop cannot render A pc's desktop. Would this be possable in the future?

do you mean, on the iphone itself? yeah, it's possible that someone will write/port the code to do so.

for now we have VNC.

Quote Originally Posted by georgc View Post
    Now I know that rdesktop cannot render A pc's desktop. Would this be possable in the future?

Just a friendly comment from an old dog: Xwindows terminology actually is the reverse of what you migh be used to:

Xserver is the terminal - it serves graphical requests (and other) from
    Xclient, which is the computer (Mac, PC, UNIX) on which the program is running and which wants the Xsever service the input/output requests
    Last edited by canook2008; 2008-07-29 at 10:51 AM.

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed rdesktop and I connect via chicken of the vnc to rdesktop on my iphone all the time. A nice screen of my iphone shows on my monitor, I can do just about everything I normally do touching the iphone screen, clicking with the mouse. runs the apps only issue I haven't figured out how to simulate the home button to exit the current app.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -screenshot_76.png   -screenshot_77.png  
    Last edited by LGgeek; 2008-11-07 at 12:28 AM. Reason: add pic
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Thanks

^isn't that exactly what veency does? Why the roundabout method?