Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is going on with my phone?

Default What is going on with my phone?
    I figured this would be an ok place to post this as it was caused by something i downloaded via cydia. if not please feel free to move.

Anyhow there is nothing regular that causes it and sometimes it will go a day or two without happening. any ideas as to what program it is? i am assuming all i need to do is delete that program? first pic is lock screen, then what i see when unlocked, then if i cancel it, and last is how my phone is normally..... thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1.jpg   -2.jpg   -3.jpg   -photo.jpg  

unless it was something out of the app store but i have NEVER seen anything like that from the app store, but you never know

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

Its just safe mode on the iphone. it happens usually right after you install something from cydia when you dont have enough memory for the app to run, in any case you would just click restart when that dialog box comes up and your phone will reboot, if it continues to happen you may have to delete some apps to make room for memory for the apps to run without crashing springboard to safe mode...it basically protects your springboard from crashing and requiring a restore by booting into safe mode
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

Mine did that yesterday, it was Winterboards fault, try removing bossprefs and see if it still happens.

If it still happens, try removing each app in turn?

Quote Originally Posted by nycdiplomat View Post
    Its just safe mode on the iphone. it happens usually right after you install something from cydia when you dont have enough memory for the app to run, in any case you would just click restart when that dialog box comes up and your phone will reboot, if it continues to happen you may have to delete some apps to make room for memory for the apps to run without crashing springboard to safe mode...it basically protects your springboard from crashing and requiring a restore by booting into safe mode
    but i have 3.8gb available???

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

This is happening to both my sons and my own fone too. I have a ton of apps on mine but my son has very few so the concept that it might be memory doesn't add up. We both have 2G 8gig fones.

By memory nycdiplomat means the 128 mb you have for running app's not the harddisk space you have on your phone. If you have sbsettings you can see how much memory your phone has left after running the installed app's. It's like ram on your pc, same thing. The more applications are running the slower your pc gets.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    By memory nycdiplomat means the 128 mb you have for running app's not the harddisk space you have on your phone. If you have sbsettings you can see how much memory your phone has left after running the installed app's. It's like ram on your pc, same thing. The more applications are running the slower your pc gets.
    thanks for clearing that up blade, i guess i could have made myself more clear
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

About a week ago I put my phone in Safe mode using SB settings and I could not get out of it,I try everything with no luck,at the end I had to restore.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdiplomat View Post
    thanks for clearing that up blade, i guess i could have made myself more clear
    No problem nycdiplomat, just wanted to help out a little. Even my almighty phone goes into safemode once in a while. It can be anything or nothing, but the good thing is it does save you from restoring your phone.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

If you have stack downloaded its full of bugs that make the os crash like that often.... Sometimes a bad install of winterboard can also cause it....
    Do you have Stack installed?

There's an app out of cydia called MemTool, try that. It might free up some of your mem to reduce springboard crashes.

Just install MemTool and I free up 30 mb of memory something that SB settings does not do.
    Recommended if you want to play memory hungry games.

straight from brooklyn better know as crooklyn (crooklyn dodgers)
    Thanks

lol it happend to me too yesterday i was in the itunes store browsing for some records/albums then it respring is nothing is just safe mode that's cause you might have alot of things installed alot of memory taken...other than that is no big deal...
    stash459 june30 2007 iphone like $700 playboy!

well is there anything i can do? i barely have any cydia apps installed and maybe four pages total with all apps combined. is MemTool the only option?

go to cydia and write/type all the content you have in your Manage Package folder and we can help but without knowing what all you have downloaded, sounds like you have a bad package

very good point... here ya go
    battery colors
    birthdays beta
    boats n hoes(ringtone)
    bosspref
    call counter
    clippy
    cycorder
    emoji
    enhanced torrent(never use so i guess i could get rid of it)
    isutra(ahhh fun!)
    mxtube
    my life be like(ringtone)
    notifier
    open ssh
    sms counter
    supreme preferences
    weather icon
    winterboard
    xGPS
    the others are just the normal repositories

Well It doesn't look like anything you have is capable of continuously crashing the springboard, besides winterboard and you say you reinstalled it. So, try restoring your phone from your latest backup if you have one before the crash started happening... If not I can only suggest that you use aptbackup(and appbackup if needed) to backup everything on cydia and restore your phone...If you need a how to so that your restore would only take an hour or so I can give you a link to specific instructions... yesterday it only took me about 45 minutes to restore my entire phone to the way I like it... I had an issue with logome that keeps happening so I'm just staying away from the app completely...

(EDIT)Found a review that said notifier has caused this issue for others try uninstalling it....
    Last edited by jaxdvd; 2009-03-12 at 03:49 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been having this problem too. I looked in my phones files and found duplicates in my private/var/stash folder and deleted the duplicate folder that had themes from my last jailbreak in it. Then I reinstalled winterboard and everything is fine now.