Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 105

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Stay away from Cydia!

  1. #81
    hi there
    only new but dose any body know why when i try to conect to cydia or instaler just as its
    about to load my wifi icon turns off and it then goes to the 3g icon
    i have just updated to 2.0.2 and only yesterday done a quikpwn ad it been since i have done this it dose it please help

  2. #82
    is there anyone with "light" crashes? I have been having a few crashes when installing in Cydia then it freezes the screen and I do a hard reset and the phone is back to normal. I don't have much apps from itunes installed either...

  3. #83
    Hokman, is this with the updated Cydia?

    Everyone else... I think the new Cydia has fixed the problems. I've had 0 issues when installing apps since the update last night. I still see the spinning gear sometimes even when Cydia says the install is "complete" but it always goes away now eventually (15 seconds or so).

    I suspect Hokman's "light crashes" are due to not waiting for the spinner to stop and thinking the machine is locked since the button does nothing. Is that correct Hokman? The fact that he can reset and not lockup at the apple leads me to believe that's the case.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post

    Everyone else... I think the new Cydia has fixed the problems.
    I am still having issues even with the new Cydia. I updated Cydia yesterday, it looked like it was going to crash, but the phone magically reset on its own and made it past the apple logo.

    Today I tried installing BossPrefs, a "light" app, and it locked up on me again. (The little wheel at the top froze and it rebooted a few minutes later, staying on the apple screen. I can't SSH into it either.)

    ANY IDEAS?

  5. #85
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts

    I came across this article and it seems like a pretty plausible explanation of the problem that a lot of us keep having with the iphone freezing up after app installs whether from app store or cydia. I haven't tested this workaround, and hopefully I won't have to, but odds are in the near future I will. So if anyone who actually knows about these things has any input on the article, or has tried it, let us all know so we don't have to restore again, and again, and again!!! Link to article below.

    http://iphonefreakz.com/2008/09/01/a...solution-swod/

    **UPDATE**

    Okay, just had to do this after installing categories. Worked perfectly as stated in the article. I was at the point that I normally am when I restore my phone, but tried the workaround and took me out of the boot screen. YEAH!!!!!
    Last edited by dr33Rocks; 2008-09-06 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #86
    Folks, its really NOT that difficult to get out of the endless apple/pineapple boot screen!

    All thats required is a little PATIENCE

    Easy method for getting out of a stuck boot screen/swod/apple/pineapple:

    1) Make sure your iPhod hasn't gotten to the "Dim screen" phase of the endless boot. If it is there already, just force another restart by holding the Sleep and Home button for 5 seconds.

    2) Once your iphone has reboot (boot logo isn't dim), dock your iPhod with your desktop and let iTunes react as if it is "Busy." On Mac this will be identified by a spinning "Beach ball" mouse pointer, on PC this should be an Hourglass or something similar.

    3) Let your iPhod stay docked throughout the entire boot process, this is typically 2-3 reboots by the Watchdog.Bundle application thats giving us this problem to begin with.

    4) Once the iPhod locks up, iTunes will bring up the "Summary" page, and its at this point your iPhod will be ready.

    5) Just force another restart (Sleep+Home for 5 seconds) and your iPhod will boot up as normal with the Lock Screen.

    Done

    No terminal commands, no SSH, no IphoneBrowser, and best of all, NO RESTORE

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x999x For This Useful Post:

    dr33Rocks (2008-09-04), h0nd0 (2008-09-06), ipirate (2008-09-04), joshWUa (2008-09-09)

  8. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post
    Hokman, is this with the updated Cydia?

    I suspect Hokman's "light crashes" are due to not waiting for the spinner to stop and thinking the machine is locked since the button does nothing. Is that correct Hokman? The fact that he can reset and not lockup at the apple leads me to believe that's the case.
    I have installed the new version, the light crashes were with the older version. However, after the new updated Cydia I am getting auto restarts when trying to install large apps. i have successfully install smaller apps.

    doing some more testing...

  9. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    Folks, its really NOT that difficult to get out of the endless apple/pineapple boot screen!

    All thats required is a little PATIENCE
    Awesome! Thanks!

  10. #89
    Please define "patience"

    Seriously, i've tried this avenue and was unsuccessful. In my case, patience ran out around 10 mins of messing around. Killing mobilewatchdog was much quicker for me. Then again, if I had a better idea of how long most are being patient for, I can be more patient in future perhaps...

    Cheers

  11. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    Please define "patience"

    Seriously, i've tried this avenue and was unsuccessful. In my case, patience ran out around 10 mins of messing around. Killing mobilewatchdog was much quicker for me. Then again, if I had a better idea of how long most are being patient for, I can be more patient in future perhaps...

    Cheers
    Assuming that you have freshly done a forced restart, your iphone/ipod should lock up after the third buzz/docking sound. That takes roughly 6 minutes, and iTunes should then bring you to your summary tab not long after that.

    Some times it may run you in excess of 10 minutes, and unfortunately this method means coping with the inexplicable feeling of not knowing whats going on while you wait it out.

    So, you've got a decision to make at this point, do you wait it out and avoid a restore? Or, do you take measures into your own hands and get immediate peace of mind at the cost of starting out fresh again?

  12. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    So, you've got a decision to make at this point, do you wait it out and avoid a restore? Or, do you take measures into your own hands and get immediate peace of mind at the cost of starting out fresh again?
    Those really aren't the only choices.

    The mobilewatchdog method works quite reliably, is much faster, and leaves your phone exactly as it was. I'm not saying your method doesn't also work, but for those who are comfortable with SSH and terminal, killing mobilewatchdog is a fine alternative.

    For those who haven't seen this method, here's a link:

    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49782


    To be clear, this type of crash has nothing to do with Cydia. Manually installing an app can trigger the exact same problem. It's simply poor design on Apple's part.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2008-09-06 at 08:50 PM.

  13. #92
    I know ive had my fair share of freezing when using cydia, but nothing major only have had to force restart 2 or 3 times since jailbreak for iPhone 3G came out, um I know that after installing an app you have to make sure to go back instead of just exiting the app with the home button, otherwise it may freeze or just wont do anything at all, and if you hold the home button to close it out after a freeze hold it for a good 20-30 sec its not as fast as it used to be pre2.0 FW, my 2 cents

  14. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Those really aren't the only choices.

    The mobilewatchdog method works quite reliably, is much faster, and leaves your phone exactly as it was. I'm not saying your method doesn't also work, but for those who are comfortable with SSH and terminal, killing mobilewatchdog is a fine alternative.

    For those who haven't seen this method, here's a link:

    Workaround for 2.0.x stuck at apple logo after installing apps - Hackint0sh


    To be clear, this type of crash has nothing to do with Cydia. Manually installing an app can trigger the exact same problem. It's simply poor design on Apple's part.
    At the rate the 3G battery dies, who leaves SSH on anymore mate?

  15. #94
    Lots of folks, (including myself, having TESTED it extensively) don't believe leaving SSH on has any significant impact on battery life. And it's a great safeguard when things go bad.

    Even if you don't leave it running, it's simple enough to set it up to automatically turn on when the phone reboots.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 2008-09-07 at 12:38 AM.

  16. #95
    <-- SSH always on, no noticeable battery impact, considering I have to charge intraday anyways (i.e. with or without SSH running)...

    On another note, I read another thread that Saurik was looking into a "something" to at least temporarily address the mobilewatchdog bug. I've not confirmed this first hand, so if he's out there maybe he can weigh in (or some other devs out there with a better understanding of internals - i'm poking in dark still...)

    I am experimenting with a script that on condition (not sure what yet - perhaps double home tap) it will kill mobilewatchdog and reboot. On successful reboot it would restore mobilewatchdog. Unfortunately, I am far behind the curve compared to many of the other devs out there, so maybe someone else will get something sooner...
    Last edited by Atreides; 2008-09-07 at 11:45 PM.

  17. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    Lots of folks, (including myself, having TESTED it extensively) don't believe leaving SSH on has any significant impact on battery life. And it's a great safeguard when things go bad.

    Even if you don't leave it running, it's simple enough to set it up to automatically turn on when the phone reboots.
    I don't recharge at the office, and therefore I see a considerable loss of power when SSH is on :T

  18. #97
    You are the ****.... This worked very good for me. Now answer me this, should i now go and kill mobilewatchdog now that i can SSH? Will deleting this file harm the phone? What solution would you recommend for this problem not to happen again?
    <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/johnnyblaze915/?action=view&current=Wu9ringz.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c218/johnnyblaze915/Wu9ringz.jpg" border="0" alt="9 ringz"></a>

  19. #98
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joshWUa View Post
    should i now go and kill mobilewatchdog now that i can SSH? Will deleting this file harm the phone?
    No, do not delete it! Without mobilewatchdog running, the built-in hardware watchdog will hard-restart your iPhone every ten minutes. Temporarily disabling mobilewatchdog is just a workaround to allow extra time for the full code signing and application map rebuilding processes to complete.

    Hopefully, Apple will loosen this up in 2.1 so that it becomes a non-issue.

  20. #99
    By kill, you are temporarily moving the mobilewatchdog out of startup folder. Letting Springboard start up properly. Then moving mobilewatchdog back to the startup folder, else your phone will reboot every 10 minutes... Not a nice thing...

    as originally posted here :

    mv /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/mobilewatchdog.bundle/ /
    reboot

    After a few seconds the device will start to reboot, and after approximately 3-6 minutes (depending on how many apps you have installed) you will reach the lock screen as normal, when that happens we now have to re-enable the watchdog timer, and reboot again, so again log in with ssh, and type:

    mv /mobilewatchdog.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
    reboot

  21. #100
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    <-- SSH always on, no noticeable battery impact, considering I have to charge intraday anyways (i.e. with or without SSH running)...

    On another note, I read another thread that Saurik was looking into a "something" to at least temporarily address the mobilewatchdog bug. I've not confirmed this first hand, so if he's out there maybe he can weigh in (or some other devs out there with a better understanding of internals - i'm poking in dark still...)

    I am experimenting with a script that on condition (not sure what yet - perhaps double home tap) it will kill mobilewatchdog and reboot. On successful reboot it would restore mobilewatchdog. Unfortunately, I am far behind the curve compared to many of the other devs out there, so maybe someone else will get something sooner...
    I wrote that script. You don't need SSH, just install MobileTerminal.

    I wrote a script called arm. When my phone comes up, I run that automatically. It moves the mobilewatchdog folder to root. Since the program is running, it can be moved, thanks to Unix using files by file handle, not location after openning them.

    So, if I install and get the ALoD, I restart my phone, when it comes up, I get on, go to MobileTerminal, and run the 'disarm' script. It move Mobilewatchdog back where it belongs and reboots.

    Then after that reboot, I run 'arm', and wait until my phone gets stuck again, i am ready

    oh, and BTW, Apple did NOT fix this in 2.1

    They added a cache file to make the springboard thing run faster, so the watchdog should not trigger. Fine except Cydia kills the cache file, forcing Springboard to recreate it sometimes causing the same problem.

    They need to change the timeout to 5 minutes and the hw one to 20
    or better, yet, FIX IT! Make sprinboard call the watchdog during enumeration of the desktop
    Last edited by philhu; 2008-09-18 at 09:00 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •