Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Stay away from Cydia!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks thoughton, this worked for me!

I made the mistake of trying to install TuneWiki last night, and after having the spinning wheel for about 5 minutes, my phone froze up. I pressed Home/Wake buttons and when the apple logo came up, I connected my phone to pc, opened up iPhoneBrowser, waited for it to recognize my phone, and then renamed the Applications folder to Applications2, waited for my phone to respring, then I renamed the folder back to Applications.

Most of my apps were missing from the Homescreen, but I could see that they were still on my phone using iPhoneBrowser. I then synced using iTunes, and all my apps were back on my home screen, everything was saved as before. Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I just set up 2.0.1 coming from 1.1.3 and installer was installing apps but not deleting them even when it said it had been deleted. When I manually removed it in SSH it nearly killed my phone (froze at home screen for ten minutes).

I tried Cydia and it worked perfectly on everything, infact I said aloud as I was using it for the first few times "man this is smooth as silk".

I've been very pleased and feel like it is a much more OS friendly package program than installer.

Cydia and Installer were both added via Pwnage when setting the FW up.

no word for cydia its just too good love it. thou installer 4 looks good but its so rubish at its current stage. any ways i hope saurik will come up with an update to make to look of cydia better then installer 4

I don't know why some people have problems but I am pretty sure you can't blaim Cydia. As one person said he had installed 30+ applications. I think that is the real problem not Cydia.

I think every phone would lag if you install that many apps at the same time regardless of Cydia / Installer or App Store.

Then of course the applications themselfs might affect your phone. For instance I ead that Kate make the dialer fail in 2.0. So don't blaim the installation tool. Blaim the applications!!

Otherwise you can always stay away from any jailbreak and only use App Store apps.

We should be glad that there is so many dedicated people working for free when they could have moved the apps to App Store apps and earned money instead of helping us all for free.

I must say that I think Cydia works very well. It has improved since the old 1.1.* days. I even think it is far better than the new beta version of Installer. The first official beta installer sucks when you add new sources. The graphics paint over each other so the list looks like crap etc. Is is crap.

So yes I love Cydia, keep up the good work!!!
    Last edited by stefan4711; 2008-08-16 at 04:39 PM.

same prob here, just do not update to the latest release and do not get base structure update and ull be fine
    In Costa Rica Beaches w/ my unix box.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zap1027 View Post
    Thanks thoughton, this worked for me!

I made the mistake of trying to install TuneWiki last night, and after having the spinning wheel for about 5 minutes, my phone froze up. I pressed Home/Wake buttons and when the apple logo came up, I connected my phone to pc, opened up iPhoneBrowser, waited for it to recognize my phone, and then renamed the Applications folder to Applications2, waited for my phone to respring, then I renamed the folder back to Applications.

Most of my apps were missing from the Homescreen, but I could see that they were still on my phone using iPhoneBrowser. I then synced using iTunes, and all my apps were back on my home screen, everything was saved as before. Thanks again!!
    I've actually now done this about half a dozen more times (just cant resist the lure of Cydia!!!) and it turns out that you don't actually need to connect the sync cable to use the /var/applications renaming method. Just plain old wifi works fine.

So all you need to do is:
    1. iPhone locks up at boot logo
    2. SSH into iPhone
    3. Rename /var/Applications to something else (I call it Applications2)
    4. Within five seconds of renaming that folder your iPhone will magically finish booting and your beloved springboard appears
    5. Rename /var/Applications back to original name
    6. Sync with iTunes to get your apps back (I also noticed that using iReboot at this stage will get SOME of your apps back, but not all of them). The sync can be very quick, it doesn't actually reinstall apps.

Note your phone needs to be Jailbroken and have SSH installed via Cydia for this to work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, I have been doing this all too often, too. I noticed that I can do the rename of ~mobile/Applications during Cydia's progress wheel, too, and avoid the time-consuming restart.

I got tired of rearranging my 60+ applications every time I did this, and discovered that I can back up my ~mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist. After recovering from a freeze and getting my App Store applications back (sometimes, just downloading one free app from the App Store will return all the app icons), I can restore the preferences file, and then respring, and all of my icons return to the way they were, with any new apps filling in the first available spaces.

If you try this, keep a backup of the SpringBoard preferences file as a safety precaution before you replace it. I have not had a problem so far, but I would hate to hear of someone hosing their SpringBoard prefs.

Note: For convenience, I created a shortcut service in BossPrefs, with the added capability of storing the last five versions of the SpringBoard prefs file. See the attached archive for the scripts and BossPrefs configuration files that I used. The SB-Backup toggle makes a backup of the current SpringBoard prefs and deletes all but the five most recent backups. The SB-Restore toggle restores the most recent backup (and also makes a backup of the target prefs file before overwriting), then resprings automatically. The scripts in /usr/local/bin may also be called by hand (in so doing, you may pass an optional timestamp as an argument to springboardrestore to restore a preferences file other than the most recent).

ADDED: If you do use the approach I mention above (hopefully there is something better out there), keep in mind that the SpringBoard prefs file contains more than just icon positions. Other general config items (such as your Clock Alarms) are also saved in there. If you are taking a similar approach, it is a good idea to back up your SpringBoard prefs right before doing any installs or updates, so that you don't inadvertently kill a recent setting. It isn't catastrophic, but it could be irritating. Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dkallan; 2008-08-26 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Added comment about additional items in SpringBoard Prefs

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dkallan For This Useful Post:

DaveiPhone (2008-08-27), GodzillaAteMyiPhone (2008-09-02), vinodis (2008-08-28)

I don't know what I did wrong, but cydia is failing on me. No offense to the developers, but it can't work out perfectly for everybody.
    I upgraded my 1.1.4 with winpwn and it automatically installs cydia.. I'm trying very hard to install the upgrades but all I get is a source error and that it cannot create some file..this is really annoying.
    Any solution?

I don't know what I did wrong, but cydia is failing on me. No offense to the developers, but it can't work out perfectly for everybody.
    I upgraded my 1.1.4 with winpwn and it automatically installs cydia.. I'm trying very hard to install the upgrades but all I get is a source error and that it cannot create some file..this is really annoying.
    Any solution?
    Last edited by farazeh; 2008-08-25 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Terrible topic name, as I never would have thought to look here to find possible solutions to the same problem I am having. Nonetheless, glad to see there's a pattern developing here.

Kudo's to dkallan for offering up some additional speedy resolutions. Also to Thoughton, wish I saw that link before - would have saved me a bunch of time I blew a bunch of time writing the following: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...-failures.html

Of the developers that are floating around on the board here, any suggestions for providing more trace info on this issue. Clearly there's a bunch of people that seem to be exhibiting near identical problems. Cydia is a great app no doubt, so this is about how the community can help the dev track a bug down and fix it.

In my case, I checked my general.txt error log and noted on the hung spinning circle (while installing a Cydia source app after my 60+ AppStore apps where already loaded) showed a kernel protection fault generated by Cydia. I've recently cleared my logs, so when it occurs again (no doubt it will) I will post my logs here to see if that helps.

Does Cydia / iphone have a debug mode switch for enhanced logging?

Cheers

PS - OP PLEASE EDIT topic name since I am sure your intent is to get attention to the problem, get it fixed, and be a happy Cydia user!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Real_Iphonecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it not Cydia that installs the subsystem on the iphone that makes all this possible.

I've personally never had any problems with Cydia and I cincerly hope everyone gets to the bottom of any problems they are having.

IphoneCrazy

Having gone through this cycle a number of times now, it appears to me to be a variation of the old bug that I believe started with firmware 1.1.3: More than around 79 apps installed would cause the stuck logo at reboot. I've experienced the symptom when manually installing apps or through Cydia, but only when I exceed that magic number. Actually, I see it with slightly fewer apps, however it seems a strong coincidence that it always occurs when I get in this range and that the installation method doesn't matter.

No, I don't believe its the magic number - some here have mentioned much more apps than that. I have around 50. Question though to those having problems... I have Winterboard loaded up with BigBoss fading fantasy pack. There's serious system lag as it switches between wallpapers, enough so that coming from lock screen it often will not respond first time I try to slide to unlock ; screen times out to black, second go at it allows me to slide. Anyone else have that loaded up during these failures? Just stretching here - but somehow, there's a contingent of Cydia users with no problems, then there's us with problems. There's got to be a pattern here.

For me, I've got a 3G with 16GB. My main partition was never resized, so its 500MB with about 54MB free and mobile partition is 5GB free. Used QuickPwn first time around successfully with 2.0.1 then used QuickPwn GUI 1.45 to load firmware 2.0.2. Did not do a restore, so should be relatively clean - though I have not tried to wipe. Sync through MobileMe Cal/Con/BkMk. Further, i've not changed my password yet to not introduce other variables to this issue. OpenSSH only background process loaded.

Cheers

This topic's name is asinine at best and completely misleading at worst.

Nicely handled.

So now I have proven to myself unequivocally that Cydia is NOT THE CAUSE of the crashes to WAD (White Apple of Death). My wife's virgin 2G 2.0.2 phone crashed overnight while synch'ing with iTunes. iTunes was attempting to uninstall an application that was removed from the list of apps. Phone was hung on the synch lock screen, with a frozen spinning wheel. Hard reboot phone and stuck on WAD.

So, this problem is core firmware / AppStore install logic specific. What stunk for her is it's a virgin phone - so no SSH in to quick fix, had to restore yada yada. Apple better wake up on this and get it fixed!

Funny thing is, a few weeks ago I had a crash while updating an application from AppStore directly on my 3G phone. Now that I think about it, I think that was before I jailbroke, but with the string of crashes since and my subsequent jailbreaking, I assuming that crash happened in relation to my jailbreaking / Cydia work. MYTH BUSTED!

Cheers
    Last edited by Atreides; 2008-08-28 at 03:54 PM.

Thank God I found this thread. I'm been ripping my hair out having done double digit restores (I've lost exact count) over the last 2-3 days. I feel much better knowing others have the same issue and there approaches other than spending hours restoring and getting all my apps and music back on my phone!

Cydia is a great app which is why I've spent so much time with this and haven't abandoned it despite spending an ungodly amount of time restoring my phone and apps.

Thx thoughton, dkallan and Atreides. Maybe I can stop this obsession and get back to normal life.
    Last edited by GNice; 2008-08-29 at 08:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    This topic's name is asinine at best and completely misleading at worst.
    Agreed about the title. But if people can find this thread through Google and get help with their installation issues, then it's all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by GNice View Post
    Cydia is a great app which is why I've spent so much time with this and haven't abandoned it despite spending an ungodly amount of time restoring my phone and apps.
    Yes, Cydia is an awesome app (I much prefer it to Installer) for package management, and it handles dependencies, too!!! The few packages that I had installed through Installer because of their exclusively availability have been uninstalled and reinstalled through Cydia. It is much easier to manage things in a one-stop shop.

I've learned a lot over the past few weeks, and Apple's DRM/code-signing requirements certainly make it tough. Every day it seems there is an upgrade, somewhere. Even installing or upgrading apps through the App Store can lead to crashes.

I have spent all too much time hoping that, this boot, Apple's code signing process will work. Then again, on the days that everything works, I get depressed looking for new things to do with my iPhone. I've become an App Addict. A Jailbreak Junkie.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not Cydia, it's letting itunes mass installing programs.

The following is very helpful and fixed all my problems!

Here is the fix for appstore / cydia install hangs, and being stuck at apple/pineapple boot:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...-pwn-read.html

thoughton just saved me hours! followed the rename technique and had my phone back to normal in minutes. Previously when this happened it took hours to get my phone back to normal. Can't say thank you enough!!!

Question...

I don't actually see a var\applications folder. If I move to the root of the device I see what look like shortcut folders for Applications and Var, but when I navigate to Var the first folder is backup.

So, what is the complete path to the Applications folder you would rename? Would I rename the Applications folder in the root?

P.S. There's a new Cydia version out I wonder if it might address the problem. I installed Cycorder for the first time successfully using it, and I had the spinning wheel for about 15 seconds after the "complete" button came up, then it dissapeared. Usually if this happened in the past (ie 15 seconds meant a dead phone) that was it. Only time will tell I guess

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's /var/mobile/Applications/, or, maybe more precisely, /private/var/mobile/Applications/. That it as opposed to the /Applications folder (or /private/var/stash/Applications/) that contains the pre-installed Apple apps and third-party apps, and is not the apparent source of the code signing freeze issues.

I'm not sure if a new version of Cydia can address the problem or if the fix needs to come from Apple. As you say, time will tell. Cycorder is really cool. Enjoy!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast