Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

I would have to agree that Cydia is a better program. I have only ever used installer and now that Cydia is the only third party installer app that works right now I find that I like it much better then installer. I just hope that the taskbar notifier app and the wallpaper app as well as services app get ported over soon. I know that they are simple apps but they are the ones I used most frequently plus I want to be able to disable ssh on my phone. If anyone knows how to do this with 2.0 with out the services app I would appreciate it if someone would let me know.

Thanks Dev team

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Need Installer back. Nothing good about Cydia at all.

I'm on 2.0 unlocked and hate cydia. I need winpwn or a mac so I can choose Installer instead of stupid Cydia.

Will there be a way of getting Installer onto iPhone through Cydia like you can get Cydia through Installer.

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    Need Installer back. Nothing good about Cydia at all.

I'm on 2.0 unlocked and hate cydia. I need winpwn or a mac so I can choose Installer instead of stupid Cydia.

Will there be a way of getting Installer onto iPhone through Cydia like you can get Cydia through Installer.

Just because you like one over the other why trash Cydia. "Stupid cydia"? Are you twelve years old?

To all you cydia haters. I don't know what you hate so much. Cydia is much more advanced than Installer. Yea, so installer allows a queue to install, update, and remove things. and the things in installer lists are all useful.
    Cydia is much more powerful, allows you to see the progress of installation/removal/update in a more useful manner. Perhaps it is ugly, yes, but seriously? are you going to gripe about cosmetics on something that was unsigned code released two weeks after FW 2.0? Come on. The only people who have the right to ***** about cosmetics should be either the Cydia devs, or the hackers responsible for the hacks allowing us to install Cydia in the first place.

Anyone who simply hates Cydia because it's different needs to get the **** over themselves. So you used Installer first. and used it for longer. Yea we all used Windows98 before XP and probably used it for a longer time too, but think how much greater XP was once SP2 was released. All it takes is a little faith that something could be great.

Learn to look at things as "A glass half-full" and not "A glass half-empty"

does any know if iano and pocket guitar is coming to 2.0 that realy instres me pls import.

question, are the people who run the whole Cydia thing going to allow any and all Apps to be ported or will they have to refuse apps if they are on APPSTORE or cracked apps etc?

Quote Originally Posted by humor4fun View Post
    to all you cydia haters. I don't know what you hate so much. Cydia is much more advanced than installer. Yea, so installer allows a queue to install, update, and remove things. And the things in installer lists are all useful.
    Cydia is much more powerful, allows you to see the progress of installation/removal/update in a more useful manner. Perhaps it is ugly, yes, but seriously? Are you going to gripe about cosmetics on something that was unsigned code released two weeks after fw 2.0? Come on. The only people who have the right to ***** about cosmetics should be either the cydia devs, or the hackers responsible for the hacks allowing us to install cydia in the first place.

Anyone who simply hates cydia because it's different needs to get the **** over themselves. So you used installer first. And used it for longer. Yea we all used windows98 before xp and probably used it for a longer time too, but think how much greater xp was once sp2 was released. All it takes is a little faith that something could be great.

Learn to look at things as "a glass half-full" and not "a glass half-empty"
    thank you!!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f3nd3rmus1c View Post
    good question... Aren't they completely different bootloaders so it's nearly impossible to downgrade?
    There are 2 versions of the bootloader 3.9 and 4.6. They are independent of the firmware. In otherwords, doesn't matter and yes it is entirely possible to downgrade.

oh, interesting. Thanks, cuz I must have misread something.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smiska2 View Post
    been thinking about buying the iPhone unlock software (29 euros) which claims it can unlock ALL firmwares

Does anyone know how I would get cydia onto my iphone if i choose to take this raod? or does the iphone unlock software install cydia too?

Anyone have any experience with it?

thanks
    What will happen is that you will pay 29 eur for pwnagetool which is free. If you want you can pay me 25 eur and I'll email it too you

Quote Originally Posted by f3nd3rmus1c View Post
    oh, interesting. Thanks, cuz I must have misread something.
    Probably, yes. Pwnagetool even lets you choose which bootloader version you want with which firmware. Like I said, the bootloader is completely separate from the OS. Has to be. Also, there is absolutely no advantage using version 4.6 over 3.9. They do exactly the same thing
    Last edited by imode; 2008-07-22 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by elbello View Post
    wow thanks!
    I feel so stupid now. I just went to the /private/var/stash and everythign is in there. But I can swear I went through each and every folder in the iphone, I guess after a while I just got tired and wasnt paying attention. I know in the orginal iphone, there was an application folder right on top. But its here and I can edit my icons now!
    Thanks a bunch. Its good to ask questions!
    All I need now is to edit the background, is summerboard the only way???

Ive tried to copy some icons into these folders but they dont show up. Keeps showing the original icons..They have def been moved into the corresponding apps. Not sure how the old icons are still showing up.

Cydia is awesome, what are some of you complaining about?
    1win.1 loss.1 draw

Default PwnageTool 2.0.1 works great!
    Installed it on my iPod Touch and it works! I've installed some Apple apps and a few apps via Cydia. U guys are ******' awesome!!

Hey everybody,
    I have what, 4 posts here? Maybe 6 or something, but I'm a well known member at iPod touch Fans, and I occasionally lurk around here. In any case, I'd like to contribute a little bit of a rant.

Every one of you complaining about Cydia's UI and other things about it, consider the following facts.

1. There is no Installer yet.
    2. Even if you could add sources to Cydia, the sources that are in Cydia are the only ones with actual applications that will run on 2.0 right now. In addition, Saurik has said that he will add the source adding feature soon. Plus, he updates the "Cydia Source Set" package every so often.
    3. Time how long it takes to refresh sources in Installer. Time how long that little spinning wheel takes in the top left hand corner in Cydia. It is over 5 times faster for me at least...
    4. Cydia is far more efficient, far more user friendly, and is "supah dupah."
    5. More applications are already coming, and zodttd is even porting his emulators.

So...

EPIC YAYZ
    It's spoony.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spoonforknife For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (2008-07-22)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Cydia versus Installer
    Quite amused by the flames circulating around and as well as a lack of knowledge pretending to pass as truth. Thought I'll clear a few things up.

1. Occasionally Apple releases a firmware for the iPhone/iPod that is different enough that the apps will break. This happened for 1.1.3 as well as 2.0. When a new firmware is released they expect everyone to upgrade. Apple has never guaranteed backward compatibility with applications. However, this has changed with the release of the app store.

2. Because of #1 applications have to be modified and rebuilt from source. This is often a non-trivial task. For apps that are distributed via Installer or Cydia this can be a difficult undertaking since the compiler tools have to be built from scratch each time and there is not easy way to debug the application once it's build.

3. Because of #2 it can take weeks to move an app to the new firmware. It's basically up to the developer of the app when he/she wishes to port it.

4. Installer and Cydia are nothing more than a type of file server. Apps are not "ported" to Cydia or Installer. They are built for the appropriate firmware and parked somewhere, then Installer/Cydia are told how to point to them. I don't need either Cydia or Installer to install a pre-SDK built app to my iPhone. I can simply ftp or scp it.

5. Final point, as a dev I'm targeting my apps to the App Store. It's easier to build and support on them on 2.0 using the SDK. I can still distribute them for free (if I want) and they'll have 100x more exposure than Installer or Cydia. I appreciate and have a fondness for both Installer and Cydia as app servers (and a loathing for gcc-llvc toolchain) but it's time to move on...
    Last edited by imode; 2008-07-22 at 04:00 AM.

Ignoring the whole argument about Cydia/Installer, my only remaining wishes are Lexicon/Texttwist, Tunewiki...and the original iPod game, MUSIC QUIZ!

Hey guys...
    I have lost my signal bars after installing digital signal bars from cydia...how can i put signal bars back using cyberduck...i mean in to which folder?...
    thanks....

update:...found it....got orange bars...
    Last edited by rumcajs; 2008-07-22 at 02:41 AM. Reason: found solution

Id like installer too! i jailbroke this morning using pwnage2.0.1, followed the directions precisely, but cydia keeps crashing on me

cydia rocks!

Thanks mmi and dev team.
    Can't wait for summerboard.

Curious about something.. in the past when they did firmware updates..often apps didnt work an had to be re-done. How would they do that now with the Appstore.. If they make changes that would cause programs to no longer work in the new firmware then how would they have ALL THOSE APPS be re-done. I assume this is a thing of the past. Info????

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast