Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Vs Installer

so it's been stated that MMI is on Cydia, are the releases just integrated with all the regular Cydia packages? Or are they supposed to have a seperate category the way Planet Iphone does? Because if that's the case I'm not seeing them. Unless of course it hasn't been taken live yet. I'm fine with whatever dist method is chosen, just waiting on all the apps. Big thanks to the Dev Team.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee View Post
    So folks.

I know i've annoyed everyone here =

So what should i do? I need to access OPENSSH but Im unable to do so because it's not installed in my CYDIA, so what to do next?

My question is - if I use the PWNAGE TOOL and build apps, will it reformat the 2.0 firmware to scratch? Or, is there an option where i can add a source in which can be the openssh?

Let me know plz cuz i wanna fix this issue.
    -Joey
    Already gave you the answer was in my last reply to you. You can select openSSH from the Cydia packages listed in pwnage tool and have it embedded in the custom firmware that is built.

I'm on board with Cydia, I realize it is the future, and it doesn't take an idiot to figure out why it was ready for pwn 2.0 and Installer wasn't. For those who claim it's so much more stable than Installer, I've had 5 instances of the whirly circle that just wouldn't quit and I once got a text message during Cydia and all functions except reset locked up.

I appreciate the hard work that is being done. I don't appreciate the Installer bashing. Just keep up the good work and don't lose focus.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDee View Post
    Ah perfect... but which packages or options should I choose to add? Which are the essentials and are good?

openSSH, Terminal and BSD stuff. That's all you really need for now

so what works?
    PPC iMac 20" 1.8ghz 1.25GB RAM

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think most of the users are just confused by all the dev tools in Cydia and (so far) no user apps.

However: today Poof and Respring and some customized sliders started to roll in !!
    As I already patched most of my "customize" grahpics back into sprinboard, the only thing I'm really missing is my background pic... so I'm only waiting for Summerboard!
    (or is there any other way to get the background pic for springboard????)

Cheers,
    Kerry.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    oh snap, this guy lives less than 30 mins from me! Who makes Summerboard?? That's the only thing I want my jailbroken iPhone 3G for. a freaking wallpaper. I hope it gets recompiled soon enough!
    Exactly! I've got my status bar back customized and operator logo and Dock and dock background.
    ONLY the frickin' wallpaper in the middle is missing and BLACK :-(

Quote Originally Posted by frycook View Post
    I used to use installer but I gave cydia a try and it's great you people who can't even try something or except change how do even survive in life nothings always easy or stays the same and cydia is here to stay so if u can't except change GTFO
    Especially the CHANGE in your english spelling is a challenge!
    Last edited by KerryXEX; 2008-07-21 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Has anyone had problems finding the Applications folder on your iphones?
    I've jailbroken it yesterday and I saw all folders and today when I go back in through iphonebrowser, I don't see any applications or wallpaper folders. REally weird. I can see others like sound and springboard.app... Any ideas?
    I've reinstalled and uninstalled and reset and everything...

yeah, and the NES update made my games run faster on 2.0. wow, i love my iphone more than ever...i don't see any reason for a 3g right now (maybe when they drop a couple of hundreds.) anyway, i do not see a reason why we need installer if as someone here say, installer will show you installation for every other FW version and u will get tired of trying to install programs that would say something like "this version is made for 1.1.1/2/3/4" or something like that. Cydia loads in 5 secs and refresh database in 7..installer takes minutes and loads many unneccesary things. Also, i do not need Cydia to look "apple like" as some1 said, what ppl look in a program is functionality more than GUI design. thanks.

P.S. Do not flame me for this but i just needed to put the (,) and (.) where they should be.

Have an Awesome Summer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowhacker27 For This Useful Post:

KerryXEX (2008-07-21)

MMI, a 2.0 compatible sticky? or if theres already a sticky, pm me link!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helnaw69 View Post
    I'm not a thief by any means, but curious. I wonder if it's possible to "share" paid for apps from the app store through a installer now.
    No, it's not. They are locked to the iTunes account you downloaded them with.
    I stumbled upon because I have two accounts and used one on the phone and the other in iTunes but after sync'ing, the iTunes account is also synced to the phone and the previously installed apps (with the other account) will NOT START anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by UiK View Post
    Does the Jailbroken 2.0 firmware check the DRM of applications from the AppStore? Like can we SSH Apps with a DRM and use them freely on the jailbroken phone?
    Yes, it does. They will only start when the iTunes account they were d/l with is active on the phone!

Quote Originally Posted by muckymucky View Post
    There are'nt any "compatibles" by definition! 1.1.x can't work on 2.0 because all 2.0 apps have to be SIGNED.
    So even if the app would (by chance) not any of the many changed frameworks/APIs, it still would have to be recompiled and signed!

So: ALL new apps in Cydia are compatible.
    Last edited by KerryXEX; 2008-07-21 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by imode69 View Post
    openSSH, Terminal and BSD stuff. That's all you really need for now
    Thanks man I will do that and check back with u in an hour or so.
    http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/4/3/20/f_neweststsm_cb09d96.jpg

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elbello View Post
    Has anyone had problems finding the Applications folder on your iphones?
    I've jailbroken it yesterday and I saw all folders and today when I go back in through iphonebrowser, I don't see any applications or wallpaper folders. REally weird. I can see others like sound and springboard.app... Any ideas?
    I've reinstalled and uninstalled and reset and everything...
    Could it be that the iphonebrowser doesn't show links?
    I'm not sure whether this was right from scratch of the ipsw file, but the Applications, Ringtones etc. are redirected (linked) to /private/var/stash
    and then have a cryptic appendix to the original name (like Applications.XBC42C).
    It's basically the same redirection as through the boss tool.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KerryXEX For This Useful Post:

elbello (2008-07-21)

is there a way to get installer on 3g iphone, and get rid of cydia!?

+1 for those of us waiting to switch to 2.0 and wondering what apps are available on Cydia

updated just fine....

but like 1.1.4 better.

is this process reversable?

good question... Aren't they completely different bootloaders so it's nearly impossible to downgrade?

Green Apple
    Thanks

been thinking about buying the iPhone unlock software (29 euros) which claims it can unlock ALL firmwares

Does anyone know how I would get cydia onto my iphone if i choose to take this raod? or does the iphone unlock software install cydia too?

Anyone have any experience with it?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smiska2 View Post
    been thinking about buying the iPhone unlock software (29 euros) which claims it can unlock ALL firmwares

Does anyone know how I would get cydia onto my iphone if i choose to take this raod? or does the iphone unlock software install cydia too?

Anyone have any experience with it?

thanks
    Don't bother, most pay to unlock solutions (all?), are just repackaged versions of what is already freely available.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryXEX View Post
    Could it be that the iphonebrowser doesn't show links?
    I'm not sure whether this was right from scratch of the ipsw file, but the Applications, Ringtones etc. are redirected (linked) to /private/var/stash
    and then have a cryptic appendix to the original name (like Applications.XBC42C).
    It's basically the same redirection as through the boss tool.
    wow thanks!
    I feel so stupid now. I just went to the /private/var/stash and everythign is in there. But I can swear I went through each and every folder in the iphone, I guess after a while I just got tired and wasnt paying attention. I know in the orginal iphone, there was an application folder right on top. But its here and I can edit my icons now!
    Thanks a bunch. Its good to ask questions!
    All I need now is to edit the background, is summerboard the only way???

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, I agree. I like the installer and sincerely hope that it gets ported and soon. I will certainly donate to help in that effort. I mean, the whole community kinda got used to it. Some like Cydia (not me) and others want to keep installer. Why not both? Again $$ may help motivate the devs.. and I don't mind paying the piper for that effort. I do appreciate all they do

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast