Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confusing "Donate Here!" Links

Question Confusing "Donate Here!" Links
    Is the MMi team actively soliciting donations via non-Mod's signatures? There are some members who have installed Paypal Donation links in their sigs and I'm not sure who I'd be donating to.

Frankly, I think there should be "Donate to MMi" buttons all over the place (and Dev Team as well, for that matter) for people active in moving this site forward.

But the link I tried sends me to someone's private business site. And it's not a contributor like Loring Studios.

Is there any way to tell what's a legit MMi-endorsed donation and what's apparently an upgraded "Thank me!" request for money?

I assume this is just a misguided attempt to curry revenue for the "help" being provided by the individual member. But I'd like a clarification, since there are so many "How/Where can I donate" questions from new members. I'd hate to think I'm helping support hosting, etc when in fact the money's going to someone's lunch fund!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwcrash For This Useful Post:

s2k (2007-10-12)

Sometimes I think I'll just put up a "Donate Here because I'm a cool guy" links in my signature.

I mean. I'm cool. I deserve people's blind-support.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThinkandDrive For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (2007-10-12)

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkandDrive View Post
    Sometimes I think I'll just put up a "Donate Here because I'm a cool guy" links in my signature.

I mean. I'm cool. I deserve people's blind-support.
    SOLD! PM me your Paypal account so I can reinforce your coolness with money.

Heeheeheeheeheehee!

Haha, You would be surprised how many people would click that button.

Quote Originally Posted by xxjoebreadxx View Post
    Haha, You would be surprised how many people would click that button.
    You're probably right...the actual honesty is his request would be refreshing.

When I was in college, I had a morning show on the campus radio station.

I can't tell you how many people we pissed off when we announced, "We've got tickets to the sold out Tori Amos concert tonight. If you'd like to go to the concert, give us a call!!!"

People would call and we'd put them on the air and go, "Dude, didn't you listen to us? I said we have tickets for the concert. If you want to go so bad, why don't you get your own?"

It was mean. But at least we were honest.

(I know I'm dating myself a little admitting it was a Tori Amos concert. Haha)

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

do it
     Think Different

Done.
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkandDrive View Post
    Done.
    Nice. As long as humor's involved, I'm totally behind it.

...did you get my $10,000 payment?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    Nice. As long as humor's involved, I'm totally behind it.

...did you get my $10,000 payment?

No I didn't. Better send another one, just to make sure I get it.

so you mean ive been donating to peoples lunch fund??

lawl jk

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwcrash View Post
    Is the MMi team actively soliciting donations via non-Mod's signatures? There are some members who have installed Paypal Donation links in their sigs and I'm not sure who I'd be donating to.

Frankly, I think there should be "Donate to MMi" buttons all over the place (and Dev Team as well, for that matter) for people active in moving this site forward.

But the link I tried sends me to someone's private business site. And it's not a contributor like Loring Studios.

Is there any way to tell what's a legit MMi-endorsed donation and what's apparently an upgraded "Thank me!" request for money?

I assume this is just a misguided attempt to curry revenue for the "help" being provided by the individual member. But I'd like a clarification, since there are so many "How/Where can I donate" questions from new members. I'd hate to think I'm helping support hosting, etc when in fact the money's going to someone's lunch fund!
    There is no official MMi donation button, if you really want to donate you can pm me. These bogus donate sigs are not okay . . . post links to the user profiles that have these and the sig will be removed, and the user potentially banned. As far as I'm concerned bogus donations links are fraud and a scam.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Hope you don't think I was serious there. If anyone were dumb enough to donate, I would have sent it over to you anyhow.

But rules is rules.

I do think it's worth setting up an official sticky about this, in case some other people try to get sneaky. Or in case some honest folk get confused and really do want to donate.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,254 Times in 649 Posts

if i didn't think you were joking I would have just banned you

Thanks

lol tell'em cash!!