Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Removing: Community Sources, BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH

Default Removing: Community Sources, BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH
    Hi there, my first post on this forum so please be gentle.

I successfully unlocked my iphone a little over 2 weeks ago using the easy OS X guide on this site and I must say Iím loving my iphone.

I do have one question though, apologies if this has been covered before.

Is it safe the remove the application installer and the resources: Community Sources, BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH.

Any help is appreciated.

E.

Yes it is safe to remove them but why remove the installer? It allows you to d/l new programs to your phone or you can use Ibrickr...Running OpenSSH can make your battery die quicker..but BSD is ok to leave installed..OpenSSH you could just turn off if you installed lauchctl. I hope this helps..You can definately uninstall the unlock program though.

Everything scuba said is right on.
    =D

Can someone enlighten a noobie: just what is openSSH? I'm having a great time modding my phone but know little of what's "under the hood". Just curious.

iPhone? More like MyPhone taylorcold's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe it is what enables you to connect via computer to your iPhone for the purpose of adding and removing files from your iPhone. There are others much more knowledgable than I but I believe this is fundementally correct. Welcome from another noob.

yep
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks for your replys guys.

Ok so if I decide to keep the installer app will I need to keep Community Sources and OpenSSH also and by doing this am I still ok to remove BSD Subsystem. I donít really know what BSD Subsystem is used for. I read that OpenSSH can drain you battery thatís the reason I asked my first question. Battery life sucks, either that or I need to stop playing with my phone.

E.

iPhone? More like MyPhone taylorcold's Avatar
    Thanks

BTW Oscar, I have found the people who post here regularly to be very kind, helpfull and patient as long as you make an attempt to read previous posts before asking a question. They sometimes get a little annoyed when the same question has been asked and answered dozens of times. Even then most cut a noob some slack.