Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My theory of apple locking our phones :[

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default My theory of apple locking our phones :[
    I was thinking about it for a while and i thought if it was possible to transfer a phone applications to the ipod touch and making calls via Wi Fi and use the iphone's headphones with its mic ? does this make sense?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

No, not it does not.

..........because I don't understand what you are asking.

Thanks

I think he is wondering if transfering the MobilePhone.app from an iPhone to an iTouch will allow you to make calls over the WiFi... I can assure you, you couldn't, as you can't even do this on the iPhone itself. 3rd party VOIP apps are a definetly possibility in the iTouch's future though.

iPod touch fails hard either way

In a word,

NO !

In a GSM phone, the GSM radio (called the baseband processor, or just BB) does most of the "phone" stuff. There is no GSM radio in a Touch.

The main processor (Application Processor or AP) acutally does very little when you make a call, it handles contacts, dialing form the keypad, etc., but the GSM radio handles the voice encoding/decoding, talking to the network, etc.

What you are speaking of is VoIP. (Voice over Internet Protocol). If there were such an app for the iPhone or Touch, it wold run on the AP, and the same App would probably run on either device, but there is no such app as of this time, and we still do not know how to install stuff on the Touch.

There are other devices, however, that do exactly what you are talking about - The Nokia n800, A little gadget made by Sony, whose name I cannot remember at the moment, and several recent mobile phones, so it is certainly a possibility for the Touch.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting

Thanks

oh interesting there must be something that apple doesnt want us to know

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    No, not it does not.

..........because I don't understand what you are asking.
    lol yea that
     Think Different

NO i don't think so..
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Its a much simple reason than that, they dont like people noising around in their things. You can look at the MAC and how closed that system is, you couldn't add 3rd party parts to it if you wanted. Apple likes to keep its things to itself and they get more money that way. I mean if you look at the hacking scene and all the apps you can add to that, if Apple had actually released games on the Iphone to being with and offered them at 5 a pop, thats some change for them. Now with it being given away for free, they are loosing a possible revenue opportunity.

Thanks

ya, I don't know what to say, I guess we will need to fight :/ but eventually apple will win. I guess its easier to lock a phone than unlock it