Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple is looking to be like the Sidekick.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Unhappy Apple is looking to be like the Sidekick.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/04/...lication-plan/

Normally I wouldn't post something that Mac rumors has but it's a 9to5mac article that they link to.

All of us here have been hoping for third-party application support from Apple but DO NOT BE DECEIVED! This is not in any way going to benefit ANY of us.

For those who don't know, the T-Mobile Sidekick/Danger Hiptop (the cell phone made popular by Snoop Dogg and Paris Hilton) has a development system which is basically the following:

You download the SDK and an emulator free of charge, you can develop apps/games for the Sidekick using the SDK, but YOU CANNOT INSTALL IT ON YOUR PHONE. For that, you need a developer key. Getting one is not easy, you have to write an application and prove that it is worthy of the Sidekick by having Danger approve it, and only THEN can you get a developer's key. ONLY the key, note: This does not approve the app for distribution, it's only for a developer's key.

Think that's bad? It gets worse. Installation of the developer's key on your Sidekick VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY, and renders your Sidekick unsupported by both Danger and T-Mobile.

So there you have it, if you read the above link and the 9to5mac article Apple is actually enlisting the help of Danger execs to implement a similar development system for the iPhone, except that basically they think that only those close to Apple will even have a shot at getting the SDK.

They claim that what they're doing now locking the phone down is because they don't want people to pirate EA's and other companies' games/apps when they come out for the iPhone. Don't fall for this BS! Last time I checked iPhoneSimFree hasn't been cracked yet and you still have to buy a license in order to use it.

Also, the way Apple has 1.1.1 locked down right now proves they can lock their **** down, so it's just an excuse to exclude the general development community from developing applications for the phone.

Steve Jobs will no doubt talk about this in January if there's any truth to it, and spin it out to be the 'holy grail' that we developers have been asking for but this is pure BS.

Please discuss, I personally am writing a letter to Apple immediately to propose that they stop this nonsense.

If this happens I will no longer be a customer of Apple.
    <madrussian> in russia, you dont remove installer.app, it removes you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hillie View Post
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/04/...lication-plan/

Think that's bad? It gets worse. Installation of the developer's key on your Sidekick VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY, and renders your Sidekick unsupported by both Danger and T-Mobile.
    I think just about everyone in this forum has already voided their warranty by modding their phones. No big threat there.

Quote Originally Posted by hillie View Post
    Please discuss, I personally am writing a letter to Apple immediately to propose that they stop this nonsense.

If this happens I will no longer be a customer of Apple.
    If you think you can change Steve Job's will, you're quite mad. But good luck with that!

Apple can do what they want with their products, even if it includes locking up their current products so no one but their staff can get into it, they have every right.

Even though you OWN the device, you do not OWN the contents of said device.
    Its Steve Job's way of dealing with things and if you have ever followed the Mac history, even their early models didn't even allow people to mod it. Its their way or the highway. That is why some people dislike Apple and their closeness of their platform.

Though I can agree that if Apple goes this way, MANY people would be turned off. This is ONE reason why I bought the Iphone because of the mods I can do with it but not many people know about that, what they do know is the spec sheets and that isn't impressing any hardcore phone users.

just dont update.. simple as that..

they can not lock down something thats not being authorized by you to lock down.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

yea I already void my warranty lol
     Think Different

Give them a while, I'm sure they're working on finding a legal loophole to lock down our phones without our permission. :lol:

I understand if they want to review the apps first (they better have a ton of guys doing it, up 24/7). But I am not going to pay for any application.