Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Big question

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Big question
    I have a complete clean restored version 1.0.2, which before i restored it i had third party stuff. if i would to upgrade to 1.1.1 would the phone end up getting bricked? or does it get bricked only when being upgraded while having the third party still installed?

You should be fine as long as you didn't try to unlock the phone for using it on a different GSM carrier. Though why would you want to upgrade over having all those nifty 3rd party apps is beyond me.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    lol well i actually did unlock it, but im trying to sell it so i wanna make shure it wont brick on them, so is there a way to completely fix it?

If you have SIM unlocked it, there is no way to restore it yet to factory state because the SIM software re writes the baseband (what the phone uses to get calls and what not). I think some people are working on that bit but no idea how that is going. You can always sell it to local people and tell them they can't update yet because they wouldn't be able to use the mods, if they choose to mod it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    thanks for your response, the funny thing is the phone never ended up working unlocked. giving me "no service" making me think it never was unlocked correctly

There is really no way to tell because you can't see the baseband change. The only way is to grab another sim and try it. If that doesn't work, it might have failed. Other than that, you are taking a gamble here.

Quote Originally Posted by eschompthis View Post
    lol well i actually did unlock it, but im trying to sell it so i wanna make shure it wont brick on them, so is there a way to completely fix it?
    Well you have no choice if you update you will end up with a bricked iphone. The only thing you should do is just restore to factory settings. But ther is a new restoree to 1.0.2
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..