Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What is the dev team doing? Are they going to unbrick iphones?

Default What is the dev team doing? Are they going to unbrick iphones?
    i wanted to know what exactly the iphone dev team is doing are they just making 3rd party apps and unlocking the 1.1.1 firmware or are they also going to unbrick the iphones
    8gb 1.1.1. Iphone Hacked and unlocked with At&t?:confused

Someone may be working on it, but don't expect anything real soon, if you have time, check out this thread on why: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8491 make sure you read the whole thing though. I think I should also mention that the main part you'll be interested in, as far as unbricking goes, is the parts about JTAG
    Last edited by nevarDeath; 2007-09-29 at 08:47 PM.

When asked what he would say to the columbine killers, Marilyn Manson said, "I would say nothing to them. I would listen to what they have to say, because that's what nobody else did" from the movie Farenheit 9/11

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

It may never be possible for anyone outside of apple to properly unbrick an phone thanks to the unlock hack. You are stabbing your iPhone right in the heart when you unlock it. Baseband, direct level non reversible alteration at the heart of the phone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

also... Dont forget it took 70 something days for the first unlock... This is only day 2 since the update. Im sure they are doing their best, the constant harping on them isnt really necessary.

Just check back here daily. When its released im sure you will notice.

Well we will get an unlock in the upcoming weeks.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

From that forum, it seems like Apple doesn't even have a method for inputing an unlock code, if one such thing even exists. It is now making me think twice about getting an Iphone and unlocking it for use in Canada. On one hand, I might never be able to update and on the other, Canada may never see the Iphone. Tough choice for me.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    Well we will get an unlock in the upcoming weeks.
    I'm hoping u r rite
     Think Different

Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    I'm hoping u r rite
    It aint rocket science LOL

Quote Originally Posted by danman227460 View Post
    From that forum, it seems like Apple doesn't even have a method for inputing an unlock code, if one such thing even exists. It is now making me think twice about getting an Iphone and unlocking it for use in Canada. On one hand, I might never be able to update and on the other, Canada may never see the Iphone. Tough choice for me.
    You gotta have some faith in the DEVS they did it last time they will do it agian
    Last edited by yowiphone; 2007-09-30 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default I don't agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    It may never be possible for anyone outside of apple to properly unbrick an phone thanks to the unlock hack. You are stabbing your iPhone right in the heart when you unlock it. Baseband, direct level non reversible alteration at the heart of the phone.
    At some point all components were bare metal. While I'm not a superprogramer, I do believe that this can be overcome.

I think that what will have to be done is a much lower level restoration than where the current focus lies.

In a nutshell, what I think will probably need to happen to recover bricked phone would be treat the phone as a USB drive and re-image the phone. The process would have to involve a method to to manually re-enter the IMEI to get the phone back to the unique native state. The SIM would then have to be reactivated.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

You GUYS are making it look IMPOSSIBLE LOL