Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: connect xbox360 with home theater

iPhone? More like MyPhone andydlux's Avatar
    Thanks

Default connect xbox360 with home theater
    hey guys...

i want to connect my xbox 360 with my home theater for surround sound. but i saw that my surround receiver has only one hdmi output port which only allows me to connect it to my tv for dvd viewing in true surround.

i was wondering if any of you have any idea on how i maybe can bypass the problem to be able to have true surround over that receiver of mine with the xbox.

i heard of those hdmi switches and hdmi splitters.. but not sure if they help and which one i should buy if.

note: i know about the optical fiber cable from xbox to receiver but my receiver doesnt have the optical fiber port either.

i welcome any help
    thanks in advance

so to make this clear, you want to plug ur xbox into your surround reciever, but you dont have an extra HDMI slot? and your looking for a way to connect it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

You say you only have one output HDMI. How many input is the question needed. Cause the output would go to your tv as anything that gets fed through the reciver needs to go to input.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    so to make this clear, you want to plug ur xbox into your surround reciever, but you dont have an extra HDMI slot? and your looking for a way to connect it?
    yes exactly.. just bought that philips surround system its great but dummy me i wasnt checking how many hdmi ports it has, plus it is a receiver with dvd player included... so the only hdmi port it has goes into my hdtv for dvd viewing only. my tv has 2 hdmi inputs so there i still have one free but i heard i have to connect the xbox directly with the receiver.
    there must be a way or??
    are those hdmi splitters or switches help?

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    You say you only have one output HDMI. How many input is the question needed. Cause the output would go to your tv as anything that gets fed through the reciver needs to go to input.
    please see my quote to ikemaster.... and yes the only port my receiver has goes into the tv for dvd viewing since my receiver is a dvd player as well. my tv has 2 hdmi inputs so i`m good there.

does a hdmi splitter help or whatever that is?

thanks for responding guys
    Last edited by andydlux; 2010-11-17 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Sent PM back. But as I said in the PM. If the reciever does not have any HDMI inputs then there is no way around it. A splitter can't go into something that is not there.

Can you post the brand and model number so I can look it up and see exactly what you are working with?

why does everyone replace my username with ikemaster for some reason! ughh.

does it have to be HDMI to be surround? cant you take an xbox component cable and plug the audio cables into the back of the reciever, and still have it surround?

Thanks

just get a hdmi selector and u can connect multiple hdmi's to that one slot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    the one hdmi port i have on my receiver is an outport hdmi can i still use the selector for the outport??? don`t i need an hdmi input for the selector?? or doesn`t matter?

why does everyone replace my username with ikemaster for some reason! ughh.

does it have to be HDMI to be surround? cant you take an xbox component cable and plug the audio cables into the back of the reciever, and still have it surround?
    sorry i got ur name wrong IKESMASHER and yes for true surround it has to be hdmi or the optical cable which my receiver also not got. i bought my surround new it came out middle this year kinda thought it would be standart but didnt check cause i didnt know the exact procedure then...

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    wonder if a switcher can be connected to an hdmi output port... kinda doubt it but will try to find out
    Last edited by andydlux; 2010-11-17 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

if its an output, you most likely cannot use a switcher for input. I dont have any advice at this point, ill leave it up the the mastas to help you

Thanks

K, been in PM contact trying to find a solution. Here is what the possible solution that I got from looking at his model.

PM to him from me:
    Thats one hell of a sound system I see. I looked at the manual to see what I could find. You could try this. It is only 12$ so it is worth a try. Amazon.com: Digital Fiber Optical (Toslink) to Digital Coaxial (S/PDIF) Converter: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

andydlux (2010-11-18)

Thanks

if its an output, you most likely cannot use a switcher for input. I dont have any advice at this point, ill leave it up the the mastas to help you
    thanks i appreciate ur time in this Ikesmasher... at least i don`t get ur name wrong anymore