Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help please?

Default Help please?
    Okay so I have never once jailbroken my iPhone 3Gs. It is currently running on iOS 4.1 and I'm interested in jailbraking it and it would be a lot easier with help from a well experienced community so any helpful suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

If its just jailbreaking you are after then limera1n or greenpoison is what you can use. They are pretty straightforward to use.

Also it is good practice to use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH for 4.1, even if you dont jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    If its just jailbreaking you are after then limera1n or greenpoison is what you can use. They are pretty straightforward to use.

Also it is good practice to use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH for 4.1, even if you dont jailbreak.
    Okay I hate to ask but what is SHSH?

Thanks

It is something that will allow you to restore to a certain firmware (4.1 in this case) even after Apple has stopped allowing it.
    You can read more about them here if you want: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...bout-shsh.html

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

+1.

The other thing discussed a lot is unlocking Unlocking allows any-carrier SIM ---- but requires careful consideration before updating.

For you, unlock isn't necessary because you're either on an official carrier or have an Apple factory unlocked phone.

Thinking ahead (3 months, 6 months, 1 year aka 4.2, 4.3, 5.x), maybe you should consider how you upgrade. Why? Because an iPhone that works with any-carrier SIM has a greater resale value
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-06 at 02:28 AM.

Okay. Thanks for the help. Oh and one other thing..I use google chrome(I don't know if that matters) but whenever I try to download the file for a jailbreaking software it never works.

Thanks

Download which file? The iphone firmware file? If so sometimes certain browsers can downlad these files as .zip when they are supposed to be .ipsw. Just change it to .ipsw and they should work fine. Limera1n and greenpoison dont require this though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you're talking about the Apple firmware file, you need to look at the file extension -- the last part of the file name with a period (like .zip, .rar, .deb, .ipsw). Apple firmware files must have an .ipsw extension. With Chrome (and sometimes Safari) the file is likely ok, but the extension is wrong. Just change it.

A better alternative is to use FireFox.

Okay Thanks you've been a big help. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to come back to here for answers.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Google Chrome does the job right too with downloading with the right extension it's Internet explorer you wanna avoid.

I suggest using greenpois0n instead of limera1n, the dev of limera1n called it a peice of **** himself
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lol he said that when it was in beta. It did the job on beta 4 tho for 2 of my iP4's so I can't complain. But Greenpois0n is good too

Thanks

I have actually had more luck with limera1n jailbreaking than greenpoison. Greenpoison tends to fail to jailbreak a lot. At least on my PC is does.
    Of course I do prefer pwnage tool over all of them.