Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: I have an idea!

  1. #1
    Default I have an idea!
    I am nowhere near as tallented as the people that jailbreak and unlock iDevices but i was thinking insted of hacking the phones why dont we hack itunes. Factory unlocking is done through itunes, pwned firmwares are installed through itunes so insted of going back and forth with apple about unlocking and jailbreaking why dont we make itunes do it all?

  2. #2
    because thats illegal i think
    plus i think the people that make the unlocks/jailbreaks have a technical explanation that no one would understand..

  3. #3
    How is it illegal? Because of copyright? I agree that it does sound easier, I used to wonder that all the time, if somehow we could find out what part of the app installs firmwares on the iPhone, and we could use that part to create an app that installs firmwares without the need of apples signature..I hope I made sense =D

  4. #4
    MMi's "X" Member awesomeSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dragonspiral Tower in 3DS
    Posts
    4,522
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 347 Times in 259 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Amillio View Post
    I am nowhere near as tallented as the people that jailbreak and unlock iDevices but i was thinking insted of hacking the phones why dont we hack itunes. Factory unlocking is done through itunes, pwned firmwares are installed through itunes so insted of going back and forth with apple about unlocking and jailbreaking why dont we make itunes do it all?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

  5. #5
    Britney Spears of MMi Zeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,653
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 180 Times in 148 Posts

    Arent you the brightest crayon in the crayon box?
    EDM

  6. #6
    zeal is the black crayon..

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    zeal is the black crayon..
    More like the black jelly bean
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  8. #8
    those things are so DISGUSTING omg

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    those things are so DISGUSTING omg
    I found a company advertising their black-free jelly beans
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  10. #10
    iTunes just handles the syncing/media on the iPhone. That said, we do "hack" iTunes when we change it's host files to point at Sauriks whenever you downgrade.

  11. #11
    What I wanted to know was if it's possible to make an app that installs IPSW's on the idevice without iTunes..the ppl at X-D-A seem to do something similar with windows mobile..what would we need to make this work? iTunes source code?

  12. #12
    Maybe we aren't the people to ask. The only ones of us that even know member of the dev team is SB and probably Kyle and Cody
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

  13. #13
    Great idea here is the problem with your statement
    1) factory unlocked iphones are hardware unlocked not software
    2) Hacking itunes i see as being extremely difficult. Do i think it can be done sure but going in and changing it to where hacktivating and jbing is all in one place probably not going to happen i am sure apple keeps it to secure for people to do that. Also if it was done probably wouldn't be something you could download or your average computer nerd could even do.

    Now with that all being said what if there was a MeTunes? a replacement itunes where you could still sync your contacts, calendar, mail, and apps but instead of updating to a new firmware the person that runs the server that controls it only allows custom ipsw files that te dev team puts out when a new jailbreak is in-place . Like when you click the update button in itunes and it says "new firmware is available" or "your on the latest firmware." But instead it says "New jailbroken firmware for your device is now available" or "your on the latest jailbroken firmware."

    Sorry i went on a little idea spree but i just think this idea is more plausible then hacking itunes per say!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Great idea here is the problem with your statement
    1) factory unlocked iphones are hardware unlocked not software
    2) Hacking itunes i see as being extremely difficult. Do i think it can be done sure but going in and changing it to where hacktivating and jbing is all in one place probably not going to happen i am sure apple keeps it to secure for people to do that. Also if it was done probably wouldn't be something you could download or your average computer nerd could even do.

    Now with that all being said what if there was a MeTunes? a replacement itunes where you could still sync your contacts, calendar, mail, and apps but instead of updating to a new firmware the person that runs the server that controls it only allows custom ipsw files that te dev team puts out when a new jailbreak is in-place . Like when you click the update button in itunes and it says "new firmware is available" or "your on the latest firmware." But instead it says "New jailbroken firmware for your device is now available" or "your on the latest jailbroken firmware."

    Sorry i went on a little idea spree but i just think this idea is more plausible then hacking itunes per say!
    No from what i know you can get any iphone factory unlocked you just have to pay the rest of your 2 year contract off which is really pricey obviously then your wierless company sends somthing to someone probably apple and you plug your phone in to itunes just like the activation and it unlocks your phone so with all that said you could always downgrade your firmware to jailbreak but you cant change the baseband so if all we figured out was a factory unlock of all iphones theings would be so much easier right?

    With that said couldnt we edit the host file to unlock phones?
    Last edited by Amillio; 2010-10-17 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added more

  15. #15
    no, apple will not unlock your phone for you. just...no. shhhh.

  16. #16
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,302
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    Great idea here is the problem with your statement
    1) factory unlocked iphones are hardware unlocked not software
    There is no such thing as a factory hardware unlocked iPhone. The iphones chip numbers are registered and when you restore the phone it sends info to apple to get the handshake callback to allow it to run unlocked or not. The phones are identical to "not unlocked"phones, they just have the correct chip numbers to perform the handshake and be allowed to run unlocked via apple's approval.

    I have an idea!
    Let it go.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    no, apple will not unlock your phone for you. just...no. shhhh.
    Do a search on it in google some carriers do unlock after your contract my point is any iphone can be factory unlocked regardless.


    Check this out then look on youtube.
    http://theappleblog.com/2009/08/20/a...one-3g-unlock/

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    There is no such thing as a factory hardware unlocked iPhone. The iphones chip numbers are registered and when you restore the phone it sends info to apple to get the handshake callback to allow it to run unlocked or not. The phones are identical to "not unlocked"phones, they just have the correct chip numbers to perform the handshake and be allowed to run unlocked via apple's approval.



    Let it go.
    But thats my point why cant we do that are selves
    Last edited by Amillio; 2010-10-18 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  18. #18
    EDIT: nvm
    Last edited by ikesmasher; 2010-10-19 at 03:11 AM.

  19. #19
    I am for this. I like the idear of an alt iTunes that will allow one to sync their personal info and such. There is MediaMonkey that will sync music to iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, etc. But, it does not sync videos, well it can but not very well. Forget about apps, and any other info. So it will be most useful to be able to be able to have options. As far as unlocking, I'm all for that too. What sucks is that anywhere but the states, one can get their iPhone unlocked, either by buying it unsubsidized, or by fulfilling their agreement.

    Why hasn't someone, or a group, sued ATT for this? Its is in the DMCA that a carrier must unlock a handset when you fulfill your agreement.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    I am for this. I like the idear of an alt iTunes that will allow one to sync their personal info and such. There is MediaMonkey that will sync music to iPads, iPhones, iPod Touches, etc. But, it does not sync videos, well it can but not very well. Forget about apps, and any other info. So it will be most useful to be able to be able to have options. As far as unlocking, I'm all for that too. What sucks is that anywhere but the states, one can get their iPhone unlocked, either by buying it unsubsidized, or by fulfilling their agreement.

    Why hasn't someone, or a group, sued ATT for this? Its is in the DMCA that a carrier must unlock a handset when you fulfill your agreement.
    Youre right but att gets past unlocking your "handset" by not calling it a "handset". They dont classify the iPhone as a phone thats why technicaly they dont have to unlock anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •