Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A more sinister reason for disabling 3rd party apps?

Default A more sinister reason for disabling 3rd party apps?
    Anyone else starting to think maybe Apple is locking out 3rd party developers because they want to sell "approved" apps/games via the iTunes store?

Apple took down an iPod Touch hackers website BEFORE he even posted his hack. Greg Joswiak said "Apple doesn't mind iPhone hackers" and then quickly reversed his statement via a press release. Now Apple is going out their way to scare the crap out of people who have modified their phones by saying updates may "cause irreparable damage" and/or void your warranty.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I dunno... I thought they were gunna be so cool about it... But then again that was before an unlock...

something to think about. There has to be some reason, I mean, I am an AT&T customer and love the ability to make my phone unique, just like i do with my iMac. Hopefully soon we will find something out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

true dat... I paid for my phone in full (before the price cut!) and am on the iPhone AT&T plan w/ data plan... and I'm not getting support from Apple anymore... awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by unclear View Post
    I dunno... I thought they were gunna be so cool about it... But then again that was before an unlock...
    So did I...I think it is so unnecessary for Apple go though ALL this trouble just because I want to play NES on my phone...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgusto View Post
    Anyone else starting to think maybe Apple is locking out 3rd party developers because they want to sell "approved" apps/games via the iTunes store?

Apple took down an iPod Touch hackers website BEFORE he even posted his hack. Greg Joswiak said "Apple doesn't mind iPhone hackers" and then quickly reversed his statement via a press release. Now Apple is going out their way to scare the crap out of people who have modified their phones by saying updates may "cause irreparable damage" and/or void your warranty.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight...
    that was totally different, that hacker was going to post the contents from his NAND dump.

I like The AT&T service with the modded iphone. Best of both worlds.

No question, iPhone is the greatest phone, period. Yes, we knew what it had when we bought it. Yes we were very proud to own one. On the other hand, there were free, usable 3rd party apps that enhanced this phone. Why discard them, rendering them useless?

Just don't upgrade its not that big a deal guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cgusto View Post
    So did I...I think it is so unnecessary for Apple go though ALL this trouble just because I want to play NES on my phone...
    It has nothing to do with your apps. It has everything to do with a legal contract and obligation they have to AT&T.
    If apple sits back and does nothing about the unlocking, they will be negligent and open for a valid and justifiable law suit by AT&T who is promised under contract to be the only carrier with the iphone for 2 years. Every phone that is unlocked and used on another service, is one less contract AT&T was legally bound to have, but does not. Apple is going continue to put forth an effort to stop unlocking or risk litigation.
    Further, it is estimated that apple gets a MINIMUM of $350 per AT&T 2 year contract. Both companies lose money when phones are unlocked.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

/\ but apple does benifit from unlocking unlike att. apple is selling phones to ppl who unlock who otherwise would have not gotten it. so they aren't at as much of a loss as att. just my .02c

i'd have to say its more about profit. Apple likes to control what you do with their products and thats why they have itunes. I think eventually there will be official apps but they will have to be purchased via itunes like everything else. As for the unlocks, thats just a clear violation of the contract, I expected them to try to eliminate that.
    Really?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    i'd have to say its more about profit. Apple likes to control what you do with their products and thats why they have itunes. I think eventually there will be official apps but they will have to be purchased via itunes like everything else. As for the unlocks, thats just a clear violation of the contract, I expected them to try to eliminate that.
    clear violation of the contract. yes! u should expect that, but i don't think they are going about of their way to prevent us from using our own 3rd party apps.

Apple did this because of (upcoming) VOIP and unlocked phones, not modded phones.
    Various 'Books old and new
    8 Giggity, Giggity, Gigg-it-y.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
    Apple did this because of (upcoming) VOIP and unlocked phones, not modded phones.
    Sounds about right.

Former Owner / Founder of ModMyi Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jealous soul View Post
    that was totally different, that hacker was going to post the contents from his NAND dump.
    Right.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
    /\ but apple does benifit from unlocking unlike att. apple is selling phones to ppl who unlock who otherwise would have not gotten it. so they aren't at as much of a loss as att. just my .02c
    Actually they lose money. The percentage cut to them, from an ATT 2 year contract is higher than the profit of a phone sale. If you unlock and go to T-Mobile etc., apple gets only the profit made from the sale of the phone.