Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: engineering problem.. my favorite

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Default engineering problem.. my favorite
    im stumped on this one more so than the last math problem.. the best i can do is 6 but apparently you can get less. heres the problem.

Custarde in a tube

The famous underwater explorer and chronic self-publicist, Claude Custarde, is excited about his latest exploit. The newly discovered Woomagooligong cave system in Western Australia is thought to contain the longest naturally occurring underwater tunnel yet discovered. Claude intends to be the first to negotiate passage through it. To enhance his notoriety, he intends to do this journey alone.
    Research using remotely controlled vehicles has established that the path is some 40 miles long and, except at the height of the rainy season, there is little flow of water through the bulk of the cave. Claude calls a press conference and explains the situation.
    He has an unlimited supply of compressed air available at one end of the tunnel. Claude must travel 40 miles through the tunnel and there is no source of air available along the way. Using the latest SCUBA re-breathing equipment and towing an auxiliary underwater sled, Claude can carry enough compressed air to go 25 miles (consider this one “load”). He plans to leave “air dumps” along the way, and there is no practical limit to the number and position of these dumps. His dumps can be any size, and it is established that there will be no loss of air through seepage. The cave is quite shallow and slopes gradually so Claude has carefully determined that he will not require additional stops for decompression.

A. What is the minimum amount of air (in loads) Claude must consume to get though the passage?

the best i can do is six.. if you can do it in less please let me know how you solved it.

Thanks

Since 25 miles is 1 load, I have to say 2 loads. I'm not sure if 40 miles is the length of the passage. 40/25 = 1.6. Round it to 2 loads. If it is through the cave and back, 4 loads then.

Don't trust my answer. I'm quite stumped.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

40 miles is the distance but you can only carry 1 load at a time....

I am going to say 2 also but i am alot like awesomeslayer idk if i trust my answer..

The best i can do is 6 too... whats the asnwer? do you know?

it's summer, i don't do math
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

My apologies, I was going through my camera roll and realized that I had never uploaded this. I know it won't do any good now in regards to your assignment, but still figured I would share it.

By the way, what was the correct answer? I came up with 5.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    My apologies, I was going through my camera roll and realized that I had never uploaded this. I know it won't do any good now in regards to your assignment, but still figured I would share it.

By the way, what was the correct answer? I came up with 5.

Wtfff is this math?
    EDM