Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why does apple have to act so bogus??

iPhone? More like MyPhone StrictlyBusiness's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Why does apple have to act so bogus??
    Why are they making this such a hard thing? we should not have to be stuck with cingular, honestly if you ask me cingular sucks, but thats my own opinion, Why should it matter if we are using a different carrier? does that make sense to any of you guys out there? I know its about generating profit but wouldn't you think if they expanded there carriers it would be more profitable??? just food for thought

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

apple gets 10-15 dollars a month on each new and existing customer from AT&T... thats why :]
    but they didnt really need to lock all the app... which makes me think.. maybe there are some hidden features on the iphone that apple doesnt want US to know?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You are absolutely right. I guess apple was afraid the phone would fail, without a partner. Why? No idea. I love it, who wouldn't? I mean beside the cat and mouse game. That annoys the sh*t out of me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Has Apple release any sort of statement today aside from the warning in the update? Any sort of explanation or reasoning to why they would do this to their customers. Most of the people that are effected by this are early adopter and people who were already screwed by the price drop. Double F#CKED. Apple should be praising there brave and loyal early adopters not SH#TING on us!!!!!!
    Thanks,

Timbo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I think we should be able to do anything we want with what we purchased and own.

HOWEVER, I also think it is not like we weren't warned ahead of time "this works on THIS CARRIER only". Doing anything aside of buying it, activating it through at&t and using it stock is just pissing into the wind.

Being an owner of a heavily modded, but not unlocked phone, I obviously support the option to mod the heck out of it.... unlocking it is not of my concerns so I'll let other fight that battle. Apple doesn't seem to care when OSX is modded with widgets, why care when Iphone OSX is? Leave the modders alone... fight your battle with the unlockers.

Fact is if people didn't unlock it, they wouldn't be aggressively killing our third part apps. That's all they care about is staying on contract, but nooo the only way to get off contract is 3rd party apps.....
    Last edited by one1; 2007-09-28 at 03:49 AM.

Its all about money and keeping it on ONE carrier. Artificial supply and demand, if you keep it locked to one carrier, people would flock to that carrier even though they charge you an arm and a leg for a two year contract. Its like why would you buy a hot dog from a vendor down the street when you know full well that one across the street is $2 cheaper. If you give customers choice, it will usually end up being the cheaper of the choices which means less profit all around.
    The Razr was the best example. It was the crappiest phone when it first came out but people were wiling to shell 600 for it. Give people the choice of where to get the razr and the price fell like a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    Has Apple release any sort of statement today aside from the warning in the update? Any sort of explanation or reasoning to why they would do this to their customers. Most of the people that are effected by this are early adopter and people who were already screwed by the price drop. Double F#CKED. Apple should be praising there brave and loyal early adopters not SH#TING on us!!!!!!
    They haven't done anything to early adopters except for those early adopters who jail broke the phone, otherwise Apple hasn't done anything wrong. You knew from the beginning that prices do drop, your phone isn't gonna say expensive forever and your Iphone is probably gonna be worthless next year when Apple pushes a new model out. Thats how tecnology is, you can never keep up with it in terms of cellphones or anything. What you have today, might not even be worth as much when you got it. Look at cars, TVs, Ipods, consoles. I still no idea why Steve Jobs gave out credits, that means EVERY company should give out credits when a price drop happens. You pay the price for being an early adopter and you live by it.

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I think we should be able to do anything we want with what we purchased and own.

HOWEVER, I also think it is not like we weren't warned ahead of time "this works on THIS CARRIER only". Doing anything aside of buying it, activating it through at&t and using it stock is just pissing into the wind.

Being an owner of a heavily modded, but not unlocked phone, I obviously support the option to mod the heck out of it.... unlocking it is not of my concerns so I'll let other fight that battle. Apple doesn't seem to care when OSX is modded with widgets, why care when Iphone OSX is? Leave the modders alone... fight your battle with the unlockers.

Fact is if people didn't unlock it, they wouldn't be aggressively killing our third part apps. That's all they care about is staying on contract, but nooo the only way to get off contract is 3rd party apps.....
    I feel that later on, they might not be able to write the baseband anymore. Though they might figure a way to hack the Iphone to run 3rd party software, making it SimFree might not happen.
    You have to see that its probably not the AnySim or Sim unlock software that is the main concern for apple, they probably know it doesn't do much harm to the phone. Its the issue of those 3rd party apps. Some of them can be unstable and I have read somewhere someone actually made a virus for the PSP and when people using homebrew uploaded it, complete bricked their PSP. So to prevent 100+ people running to them when a third party app bricks the phone, they outright say that ALL 3rd party apps (even the AnySims) should not be on the phone. Just to save themselves the hassle.
    Last edited by danman227460; 2007-09-28 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks

Plain and simple people are going to be able to hack damn near anything so it doesn't make any sense to try and fight a losing battle, Or does it? I still don't understand the whole idea of 1 carrier, straight up they ultimatly still would be able to profit from going global. So whats the big deal really?

Quote Originally Posted by StrictlyBusiness View Post
    Plain and simple people are going to be able to hack damn near anything so it doesn't make any sense to try and fight a losing battle, Or does it? I still don't understand the whole idea of 1 carrier, straight up they ultimatly still would be able to profit from going global. So whats the big deal really?
    Like I said demand. If Company A offered the Iphone at the same price as Company B but with a MUCH cheaper or better data plan, which one would you go to? This means Apple has to doll out TWICE as much units to meet the demand for both stores. While one store might sell some, the other might not. This means twice the units does not equal twice the profit. Its like opening two - three ford dealerships in the same area. You never see that, its always different dealerships in one area. Its because to ship to 3 ford dealships you are spreading yourself thin and reducing profit margins. You keep the cars to ONE dealership, you minimize amount of cars shipped, less labour = more profit. Get it? Oh they are going global but to ONE network per region.
    Last edited by danman227460; 2007-09-28 at 04:40 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to danman227460 For This Useful Post:

StrictlyBusiness (2007-09-28)

Thanks

i get ya man....

Quote Originally Posted by StrictlyBusiness View Post
    i get ya man....
    Sorry to sound pushy or anything but it isn't that hard to grasp. You keep something excluisve and people will be willing to pay for it. Look at Halo 3 and all those products they are pushing for it and because its exclusive you probably will end up getting some of the stuff.