Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My first programming class

Default My first programming class
    I'm taking my first computer programming class this semester and i really don't know a thing about it besides that it's one of the best fields to get into after you get the degree. I do consider myself good with computers and feel like i can learn quickly with them. I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice, is there any couple of things that need to be pounded into my brain? Maybe some good online tutorials? Or just good ole fashion advice in the form of words that aren't too far over my head . Thanks in advance!
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

Assuming your class will be C++ or VB? Google whichever and start reading up. Its one of those things that you either pic up and run with.......or never get.

start with visual basic touch on a little C++...Hopefully i will pick up on it... Thanks for the advice i will start reading up!
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

Pound the basic stuff into your head, keep pounding before you move on. If you get stumped and try to learn beyond what your confused about you will just get more confused.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (2009-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

10 INPUT "What is your name: ", U$
    20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
    30 INPUT "How many stars do you want: ", N
    40 S$ = ""
    50 FOR I = 1 TO N
    60 S$ = S$ + "*"
    70 NEXT I
    80 PRINT S$
    90 INPUT "Do you want more stars? ", A$
    100 IF LEN(A$) = 0 THEN GOTO 90
    110 A$ = LEFT$(A$, 1)
    120 IF A$ = "Y" OR A$ = "y" THEN GOTO 30
    130 PRINT "Goodbye "; U$
    140 END

I'm working on learning C++ now. It's hard but go to cprogramming.com they have a ton of guides available. I'm stuck at the moment, but am excited to start doing basic file IO. I hope you like it! Just remember to not skip out on basics. Also, UI builders are nice but try to do as much as you can on your own as to keep your skills up to snuff. (I am no where near building a UI lol, but that's a tip I read from a pro).
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!

Man I just took my 1st programming course at my college, and it was a doosie. It was C++ and before I took the course I had 0 knowledge about the subject. Talk about head spin, sometimes I felt like I understood the material and at other times I felt like "wtf am I doing". One thing I did learn is that it's something you have to go over everyday or else you'll start to lose it.

Thanks

Keep it simple. Waaaaaaaaay back when I was taking a C++ course in college, I would write some code in say 20 lines and my buddy could get it done in 5.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    10 INPUT "What is your name: ", U$
    20 PRINT "Hello "; U$
    30 INPUT "How many stars do you want: ", N
    40 S$ = ""
    50 FOR I = 1 TO N
    60 S$ = S$ + "*"
    70 NEXT I
    80 PRINT S$
    90 INPUT "Do you want more stars? ", A$
    100 IF LEN(A$) = 0 THEN GOTO 90
    110 A$ = LEFT$(A$, 1)
    120 IF A$ = "Y" OR A$ = "y" THEN GOTO 30
    130 PRINT "Goodbye "; U$
    140 END
    WTf
    EDM

Google is your friend. Java was an intro programing course at my college and if you take java USE THE ONLINE API!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm going to assume he's doing Visual Basic. Your book should have came with a trial CD where you can install the software on your computer. I'd recommend practicing on your free time and learning as much as you can from online websites. I did Visual Basic in High School and probably forgot some things. They'd come back to me once I got into the program and played around with it. It's easy to learn if you are interested in it.

Good Luck.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

"The Napoleon Dynamite of MMI" coloradoxmfan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    WTf

You don't know BASIC?