Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: what to purchase at best buy?

thanks for all the suggestions... i went with the 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue. Now to get it installed.... I hope vista doesn't tell me i dont have enough room to partition because of snapshots and pagefiles
    Would i be better off installing OS X since it makes it so much easier to partition?
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

Quote Originally Posted by howlett15 View Post
    thanks for all the suggestions... i went with the 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue. Now to get it installed.... I hope vista doesn't tell me i dont have enough room to partition because of snapshots and pagefiles
    Would i be better off installing OS X since it makes it so much easier to partition?
    OSX on a computer designed for Vista? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG! HAHAHA

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Its hackint0sh time

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    OSX on a computer designed for Vista? ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG! HAHAHA
    Hackintosh, all the goodness of OSX without the Mac hardware premium.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Hackintosh, all the goodness of OSX without the Mac hardware premium.
    It's like putting a Ferrari's engine into an old Honda.

Thanks

thanks for all the suggestions... i went with the 500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue.
    I win

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    Is it 100% true to say any 1 computer was REALLY designed for vista? lol

and dont worry, one day when im not a broke college student i promise i will pay back my debts to apple almighty

Woke up this morning and got the bsod. Hard drive failed, way to go stealth lol jk
    I hope I can afford a mac one day

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait, are you sure the drive was bad? Or were you kidding about that too and not just the "Way to go Stealth" remark?
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

i'm pretty sure it failed because i did a system diagnostics test and it came up with an error code that was in the hard drive error codes on the dell site. Then i took it out and replaced it with the original one and all was fine. It has a 3 year warranty so i plan on just sending it in. One question i do have is if i upgraded from vista to win7 on my crashed hd then put original hd in and upgraded from vista to win7 will i be able to install win7 on replacement hd when it comes in? I just have the win7 upgrade dvd with one installation key...

only kidding about the remark btw

Thanks

Uhmm. I don't know. That's all up to Microsoft. I'm gonna *assume* that they won't do anything unless its just a widespread number of people using the same installation key. I'd just go ahead and if something occurs drop Microsoft an email.

Yea hopefully they will be understanding... I just submitted my return form for the hd. Hopefully the new one will last longer than 4 months

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. That does suck

yea sucks but not a big deal...I know WD is a good company and these things just happen...oh well im sure my new one will be here soon.

Thanks

I would upgrade both, RAM & the HDD...@ the sametime.
    Then sale it on ebay, and put a down payment on a MBP!....lol

lol good idea!...maybe when the start up company I am interning for takes off and hires me!

Thanks

RAM isn't too too expensive. Here's an example: Corsair Dominator PC10600 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, Core i5, Dual Channel at TigerDirect.com

That's 2 gigs of Corsair Dominator PC10600 memory.

i'm pretty sure it failed because i did a system diagnostics test and it came up with an error code that was in the hard drive error codes on the dell site. Then i took it out and replaced it with the original one and all was fine. It has a 3 year warranty so i plan on just sending it in. One question i do have is if i upgraded from vista to win7 on my crashed hd then put original hd in and upgraded from vista to win7 will i be able to install win7 on replacement hd when it comes in? I just have the win7 upgrade dvd with one installation key...

only kidding about the remark btw

In short,
    Yes

I'm assuming Vista was preinstalled by Dell, so when you install Vista on the new HD, Vista will not have to be activated because its an OEM Copy tied to the BIOs on the motherboard.

Then you upgrade to Windows 7, you will have to activate. Swapping hard drives will still let you activate fine as long as the rest of the machine is almost the same.

If you have any problems, call the number on the activation window and tell them that you replaced the HD due to failure and they'll activate it for you

19. The Following User Says Thank You to shadow25 For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (2009-12-16)

I got a $100 gift card for best buy and i'm wanting to upgrade my laptop. I think i have narrowed it down to a few choices.

1: 500GB hard drive, only have a 160GB now
    2: More ram, I have 2GB
    3: Windows 7, running vista now

What do you think i would benefit from the most? I would like to dual/ triple boot some different operating systems, i don't do any gaming or anything that i would really need more ram for i dont think but it would be nice to have, and i have vista now which i don't really have a problem with but i would like to have windows 7 seeing some of the demos of it.

I have a dell xps M1530 160GB HD 2GB RAM Intel core 2 duo Vista 32 bit.... If you are recommending the hard drive throw a brand name out there for me because i have read a few bad reviews for a some of the 500GB hard drives. Thanks for any help
    I would suggest, 500GB hard drive........

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12