Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Its about a girl! Would really like educated opinions!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Question Its about a girl! Would really like educated opinions!
    So, I was at work the other day (work in retail down on a crowded college street in Austin, TX) and a girl that I rang up comes back in, gives me her number, and tells me to text her sometime. She was really bashful, said that she's never done that, and was all around gorgeous and cute too.

I text her the next day and we hit it off pretty well. After a day of texting I asked her where she went to school. She replied with the name of a HIGH SCHOOL and tells me shes 17. WOW, okay, I'm 22 and in college... So, she is still in High School, but its legal in Texas, right? <<<< This thinking is currently part of my problem!

I don't know if this is morally correct or not. I must say though, the information that I've dug up in the last 2 days points to these positives: 1) its legal, 2) in more recent history, women married older men at even younger ages(although, I'm currently not looking for marriage ), 3) we hit it off, and 4) most of my friends that I've asked have given me the go ahead.

I would really like some insight from both men and women who are older than me. Is this cool or not? I've got 2 very conflicting feelings about this. On the one hand, it could be cool; but on the other, it could turn me into a creeper! I'm not sure if these feelings are based on socially implemented ideals or not (what I mean is, am I made to feel like that is a bad thing based on society's perception of it, or is it actually wrong).

Modmyi members, you fine folks have been here for me through all my iPhone troubles; and since this situation started with my iPhone, I figure its only appropriate that I ask you all! I know there are alot of different age groups that read and participate so I would love to hear it. Hit me up with some knowledge and perspective!

Thanks!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Ages of consent in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's legal but I don't know. 5 years difference? That seems like a bit too much of a difference for me. I mean at 22 years old you should have graduated from a college with a Bachelor's degree last year and she's still in High School. That's just my opinion though.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NeoNightmareX For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks

It's all consensual, baby...
    Respect your elders.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Don't over think it, you'll know the right thing to do. I know that just by posting and wanting opinions. You obviously have concerns. But you haven't even dated the girl yet. Again, don't over think it.
    I don't believe that 5 years is a huge age difference when your both in your 20's. 17 is young no doubt, see how it goes and play it day by day.
    Myself I dated older guys too when I was in high school. Because most of the boys were just to imature. Have fun, be safe and respecfull.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Take her out a couple times and see if this is worth you thinking about. If she is mature and you both get along then I see no issue with it. You have no issues legally here in Texas. Go for it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks

Rule of thumb: half your age, plus seven. That means 18. I'd wait. High school is different form the rest of the world. Get to know her, and wait for her to graduate. Five years isn't a big deal. Her in high school and you almost done with college is.

It's a little strange you spent so much time looking into the legality of it all. Just get to know her! Don't rush it or pressure her.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoops98 For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoops98 View Post
    Just get to know her! Don't rush it or pressure her.
    +1
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

I don't think you should be asking us...I know you wanna hear peoples opinions...but non of us acually know how she is and how you feel...like stated..take her out on a date and if you like her go ahead...age is but a number

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raptors For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNightmareX View Post
    It's legal but I don't know. 5 years difference? That seems like a bit too much of a difference for me. I mean at 22 years old you should have graduated from a college with a Bachelor's degree last year and she's still in High School. That's just my opinion though.
    That is most definitely one of the reasons why I'm questioning this!

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Don't over think it, you'll know the right thing to do. I know that just by posting and wanting opinions. You obviously have concerns. But you haven't even dated the girl yet. Again, don't over think it.
    I don't believe that 5 years is a huge age difference when your both in your 20's. 17 is young no doubt, see how it goes and play it day by day.
    Myself I dated older guys too when I was in high school. Because most of the boys were just to imature. Have fun, be safe and respecfull.
    This is some good advice that I need to take more often. I'm so analytical that its hard to not think! Even with booze! Well, I hung out with her last night and today is day 3. I think I'm doin alright with day to day! Thats good to know that this isn't completely uncommon (I mean, I suppose there is a law written about it ), and I am proud to say my mother raised a gentleman and I wouldn't think of having it any other way! Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Take her out a couple times and see if this is worth you thinking about. If she is mature and you both get along then I see no issue with it. You have no issues legally here in Texas. Go for it!
    Yeah, the sad thing... From what I can tell (day 3 now right?) She already acts more mature than the girls I've been hanging out with lately, and they are upwards of 23-24. They of coarse think I'm a lunatic for even considering this. Jealousy? Perhaps! JK

Rule of thumb: half your age, plus seven. That means 18. I'd wait. High school is different form the rest of the world. Get to know her, and wait for her to graduate. Five years isn't a big deal. Her in high school and you almost done with college is.

It's a little strange you spent so much time looking into the legality of it all. Just get to know her! Don't rush it or pressure her.
    That is an amazing rule that keeps you in the ball park, but lets you stray a little. I for one appreciate that! Its really hard to ignore logic even when you want to! This is completely logical. Well, I'd say that considering I hung out with her last night, and I met her the day before, that day 3 of questioning is only natural; however, you may be right about it being strange. Also, this was spoken like a true gentlemen, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    I don't think you should be asking us...I know you wanna hear peoples opinions...but non of us acually know how she is and how you feel...like stated..take her out on a date and if you like her go ahead...age is but a number
    Well, now. If I ask friends my age, exactly what would you expect them to say? All my guy friends say yes, and most of my lady friends say no. LOL, the internet provides a way for people to speak in a more truthful manor due to the lack of fear for social judgement! (That or it lets people completely b/s you! ) I heard this from one of the girls I asked, but is it really? Can experiential knowledge truly be passed by the way side?

I would like to say thank you all! You've been very helpful. I've decided to continue hanging out with her for a while and get to know her a little better before I make any decisions. And if nothing else, I can maintain a good friendship with her! I just need to avoid situations like "providing alcohol to a minor"!

Thanks Again!
    Last edited by Grassmasta; 2009-08-08 at 09:39 AM.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Great disicision lol cause I'm acually just 17 too(: so I think it might work out

Thanks

Glad we could be a part of your life! I got a kick out of it!
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks

5 years difference seems like nothing but I guess that changes the older you get - for instance a 17 year old dating a 12 year old would obviously be totally wrong where as a 40 year old dating a 35 year old wouldn't even be looked upon as odd.

Go with the flow my friend and enjoy yourselves as you are both relatively young - just don't do anything silly or illegal.

Good luck.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iGuy For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

There is 10 years difference between my wife & I. The big joke is when her moms b- day comes around, there is less of an age difference between her than my wife!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to boozie For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks

17? My parents would have been upset if I dated a 22 year old at 17. Then again they didnt want me dating anyone when I was 17. I was pretty immature and I dated a 21 year old guy when I was 17 (behind my parents back since I was away at college). I had skipped a year in schol so was a 17 year old freshman. I felt very uncomfortable with an "older" guy, but that was just me. I had plenty of friends dating guys several years older. Once I was considered dating age by my parents (18) my mother actually encouraged me to date guys a few years older since they would be ready to marry sooner. Old fashioned lady- she wanted me married soon after college. I ended up marrying a guy a year younger. Just had our 25th anniversary this June.

ANyway, back to your dilemma. most 17 year old girls are ready for a more mature relationship these days, and in another year, no one would blink an eyebrow at the age difference. My niece just got married to a guy 5 years older but she is 27.

Only you and the girl can decide this. The age thing is really only an issue if her parents object and if its "legal". What is the age of consent in your state? If shes jailbait, then be careful- use protection if it goes that far.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks

I never realised you are of the fairer sex bhz1!!!!!!

Next it'll be that Zeal is actually male!!

This forum never ceases to amaze.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post

I never realised you are of the fairer sex bhz1!!!!!!

Zeal is male.

Anyway back to the OP's dilemma... Just take your time with it. I get talked about all the time because of the age differences with the girls I talk to. I can't help it the girls my age around here are all whores. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be dating somebody half the school has been with (girls AND guys for some of them). My point- If you like her and she's mature enough that her being 17 doesn't really matter, then you're good to go.

I'm gonna have to agree with blkcadi on this one, "Have fun, be safe and respectful."

EDIT: However, I am going to correct her spelling of "respectful".
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SharpieBandit For This Useful Post:

Grassmasta (2009-08-08)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iguy View Post

i never realised you are of the fairer sex bhz1!!!!!!

Next it'll be that zeal is actually male!!

im dudeeeeeeeeeee

Edit: i have a friend thats going into Junior year shes 17 her BF is 21.

I wanna throw a show at her -_-
    Last edited by Zeal; 2009-08-08 at 07:55 PM.
    EDM

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Rule of thumb: half your age, plus seven.
    I was talking to my Dad this morning at Starbucks about this "rule of 7" and he just loved the idea. He just turned 60 so that means a gal of 37 would be alright to date. (does flips and giggles) I come back from the restroom and he's chatting with a gal. Seems he hitting on the the young girl behind the counter and explaining to her the rule of 7. ((lmao)) Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by iGuy View Post

Zeal is a guy? OMG

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Zeal is a guy? OMG
    Are you sure? I thought he was just an ugly chick

Thanks

i was talking to my dad this morning at starbucks about this "rule of 7" and he just loved the idea. He just turned 60 so that means a gal of 37 would be alright to date. (does flips and giggles) i come back from the restroom and he's chatting with a gal. Seems he hitting on the the young girl behind the counter and explaining to her the rule of 7. ((lmao)) priceless.

Zeal is a guy? Omg
    yes i have a penis!!!:b

shocking
    EDM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast