Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G vs 3GS

Default 3G vs 3GS
    OK, I have been out of touch for quite some time and have not been able to keep up with the techknowledgy (hell I can't even spell it). So here is my question. Before I got sick, the big debate was "2G vs 3G". told you its been awhile.. anyhow, at that time the concensus was "stick with what you got"..now I guess my question is, do I still stick with the 2g or is it a big enough difference to go to a 3G? OR, am I better off waiting a bit, save a bit of money and wait for the 3GS to come down some in price? Also, how much difference is there between the 3G and the 3GS?
    Thanks in advance for any input..

I made the leap from 2G to 3Gs and beleive me its worth it. Lightning fast compared
    to the old. No hang time. Plus the video recorder awesome. If u search my old topics I made a thread from when I made the switch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

You know what happens when you double the memory and go to a faster processor in a laptop? Same thing that happens when you do it in an iPhone. Buy it, love it, live it. I was in doubt before my purchase but once I got my hands on it i was sold instantly.

I take it that you both are recommending the 3GS and not bothering with the 3G? I thought that maybe I could afford to get the 3G if I sold my 2G, but no way can I go the big bucks for the 3GS right now.. Guess I should wait until I can afford it and not bother with the 3G? Other then the voice dial what other advantages does the 3GS have over the 3G?

Thanks

3GS has a faster processor- even jailbroken running winterboard no lag at all. This in turn helps the internet load faster even in edge.

Im currently away for the weekend at a place with traditionally shaky signal. Im 5 full bars . On the way I had edge and I was browsing on safari for most of the trip and surprised how fast the pages loaded. Also havent had a single app crash. In SBSettings Ive had as much as 169 MB free. On teh 3G, max was about 53 and was usually about 38-42.

Keep the 2G and save the extra for the 3 G.

I was toying with the idea of selling it and keeping the 3G but its been one day and I am not parting with this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bhz1 For This Useful Post:

John1177 (2009-07-26)

yup not worth it get a 3g s instead

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bobright For This Useful Post:

John1177 (2009-07-26)

And don't wait too long because the 3GS isn't gonna drop in price until the next iPhone comes out. It's already a steal at 199/299. Also, the 3GS handles the jailbreak software sooooo much better than the 2G/3G. The only app that has crashed on my 3GS is Cydia every once in a while.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cory Gillmore For This Useful Post:

John1177 (2009-07-26)

Thanks

Go for the 3GS man, you won't regret it. Signal is very much noticeably better than my 2G and the added processing power and memory is great.
    Respect your elders.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

John1177 (2009-07-26)

so guess that means you don't want to swap me for my 2G??? go figure...LOL

3GS = King.

Ive got all 3.......as normal it just keeps getting better.

I wish I could find one for $299. I won't buy one from the home team as I won't get into another contract extension and all that. You don't have a spare all ready to go for $299 do you??? LOL

Haha.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    so guess that means you don't want to swap me for my 2G??? go figure...LOL
    Haha, unfortunately not at this point mate. Good luck finding one for a good price, though. When you do, you'll love it.
    Respect your elders.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    I wish I could find one for $299. I won't buy one from the home team as I won't get into another contract extension and all that. You don't have a spare all ready to go for $299 do you??? LOL
    All the 3GS features are geared towards the ATT coverage anyway so you're going to be in contract no matter what. a 3gs without 3g services on T-mo is just a fast processing ipod.

I am with ATT, I just don't want to get locked into another 2 year contract.
    My biggest problem is that I am a retired old f on a fixed income, so laying out a big bunch of cash is out of the question. If I could get one for the 299 all jailbroke and unlocked and ready to roll, I could sell my 2G and not be stuck for a large layout, but odds are against that happening...LOL, so as usual, the old man will just have to read about you kids having all the fun...LOL

Yeah I would say the odds certainly are against that happening. I've seen them go for almost $800 on eBay unlocked, jailbroken and contract free.

Thanks

^Sell that 2G and the money you get from that plus $299 should be able to fetch you one off of craigslist...
    Respect your elders.

I have not ever used craigslist. is it like ebay? can u just use a search feature for iphone?

Thanks

^Yep, sort of like eBay but no bidding and it's less polished... I think you could find a 3GS on there for ~$500.
    Respect your elders.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ALL DAY For This Useful Post:

John1177 (2009-07-26)