Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pitch man Billy Mays found dead...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Pitch man Billy Mays found dead...
    WTF... will this week not end?

R.I.P. Billy Mays

Source TMZ.com

TMZ has confirmed TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead today in his home in Tampa, Florida early this morning.

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

TMZ has learned Mays' body has already been removed from his home.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

Billy's wife Deborah just released the following statement: "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday that reads, "Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth. Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal andcompassionate friend."

Story developing ...
    useful? hit the thanks button!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

OK that's it... no more outside air or water for me until we fix this crap. Filtered water and straight oxygen canisters for me. THIS IS NUTS! And he was 50 as well a MJ was damn ????!!?

EDIT: and Bernie Mac was 50 as well!

. Wait..... head trauma? TV pitchman Billy Mays found dead at Florida home - Yahoo! News

TAMPA, Fla. – Billy Mays, the burly, bearded television pitchman whose boisterous hawking of products such as Orange Glo and OxiClean made him a pop-culture icon, has died. He was 50.
    Tampa police said Mays was found unresponsive by his wife Sunday morning. A fire rescue crew pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m. It was not immediately clear how he died. He said he was hit on the head when an airplane he was on made a rough landing Saturday, and Mays' wife told investigators he didn't feel well before he went to bed that night.
    There were no signs of a break-in at the home, and investigators do not suspect foul play, said Lt. Brian Dugan of the Tampa Police Department, who wouldn't answer any more questions about how Mays' body was found because of the ongoing investigation. The coroner's office expects to have an autopsy done by Monday afternoon.
    Mays' wife, Deborah Mays, told investigators that her husband had complained he didn't feel well before he went to bed some time after 10 p.m. Saturday night, Tampa police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said.
    "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days," Deborah Mays said in a statement Sunday. "Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."
    U.S. Airways confirmed Sunday that Mays was among the passengers on a flight that made a rough landing on Saturday afternoon at Tampa International Airport, leaving debris on the runway after apparently blowing its front tires.
    Tampa Bay's Fox television affiliate interviewed Mays after the incident.
    "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping," MyFox Tampa Bay quoted him as saying. "It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."
    McElroy said linking Mays' death to the landing would "purely be speculation." She said Mays' family members didn't report any health issues with the pitchman, but said he was due to have hip replacement surgery in the coming weeks.
    Laura Brown, spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said she did not know if Mays was wearing his seatbelt on the flight because the FAA is not investigating his death.
    Born William Mays in McKees Rocks, Pa., on July 20, 1958, Mays developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "as seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.
    After meeting Orange Glo International founder Max Appel at a home show in Pittsburgh in the mid-1990s, Mays was recruited to demonstrate the environmentally friendly line of cleaning products on the St. Petersburg-based Home Shopping Network.
    Commercials and informercials followed, anchored by the high-energy Mays showing how it's done while tossing out kitschy phrases like, "Long live your laundry!"
    Sarah Ellerstein worked closely with Mays when she was a buyer for the Home Shopping Network in the 1990s and he was pitching Orange Glo products.
    "Billy was such a sweet guy, very lovable, very nice, always smiling, just a great, great guy," she said Sunday, adding that Mays met his future wife at the network. "Everybody thinks because he's loud and boisterous on the air that that's the way he is, but I always found him to be a quiet, down-to-earth person."
    Recently he's been seen on commercials for a wide variety of products and is featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which follows Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs. He's also been seen in ESPN ads.
    His ubiquitousness and thumbs-up, in-your-face pitches won Mays plenty of fans. People line up at his personal appearances for autographed color glossies, and strangers stop him in airports to chat about the products.
    "I enjoy what I do," Mays told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I think it shows."
    Mays liked to tell the story of giving bottles of OxiClean to the 300 guests at his wedding, and doing his ad spiel ("powered by the air we breathe!") on the dance floor at the reception. Visitors to his house typically got bottles of cleaner and housekeeping tips.
    As part of "Pitchmen," Mays and Sullivan showed viewers new gadgets such as the Impact Gel shoe insert; the Tool Band-it, a magnetized armband that holds tools; and the Soft Buns portable seat cushion.
    "One of the things that we hope to do with 'Pitchmen' is to give people an appreciation of what we do," Mays told The Tampa Tribune in an interview in April. "I don't take on a product unless I believe in it. I use everything that I sell."
    His former wife, Dolores "Dee Dee" Mays, of McKees Rocks, Pa., recalled that the first product he sold was the Wash-matik, a device for pumping water from a bucket to wash cars.
    "I knew him since he was 15, and I always knew he had it in him," she said of Mays' success. "He'll live on forever because he always had the biggest heart in the world. He loved his friends and family and would do anything for them. He was a generous soul and a great father."
    Damn Billy! Front page of CNN for a pitchman.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Last edited by one1; 2009-06-28 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

The really strange thing for me is that I was helping him here on MMi the other day, he needed APN settings for his iPhone.
    I believe it was him, Used his own name, a picture of himself and I asked him in the post if it was really him, he replied that it was indeed him.
    Poor guy, did I put the voodoo on him? Wow, you never know. Makes me wonder!!!!!!!

Thanks

I certainly do not mean to make fun of this mans passing, although I was not not a fan. But, I may be the reaper, and not knowing it.................just sayin'

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

RIP Billy Mays! You will be missed

guess i wont be buying crap on tv at 4 am anymore, it just wont be the same without someone yelling at me!

I kinda call BS on him being on here, his profile states Cali but the news report states he lives in Florida? Just sayin.

Thanks

^ Dude! Did you even read the thread where blkcadi asked him if he was the real Billy Mays and he said yes!!! Seriously you need to do some better research lol

No amount of mighty mend-it can mend my broken heart ;_______;

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

^ roflmao

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    No amount of mighty mend-it can mend my broken heart ;_______;

Thanks

Billy Mays here with another fantastic product.

No really though, this post is in all caps in honor of Billy Mays and his never-ending enthusiasm for his 'fantastic products' as demonstrated by his constant yelling.

R.I.P. Mr. Mays... We'll always hear you yelling in our hearts.

EDIT: Wow MMi caps filter, way to screw it up.
    Respect your elders.

What! No, not Billy Mays... OK I'm over it. OxiClean sucked

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Mwahahahahaahaha. (Who should I assassinate next) O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh